So just who is – and was – Olivia Munn playing in the movie?
The internet is abuzz with a titbit of Iron Man 2 news which came from an interview actress/model Olivia Munn over at Complex.com . Here she reveals that not only did she have to reshoot all her scenes the movie, but that she was given an entirely new role.
“As they started to edit they realized it was becoming darker than what they’d expected and what my scenes had allowed for. My parts were lighthearted and comedic. Jon Favreau called and was like, ‘I’ve got good news and bad news: This is what’s happening in editing but we all really like you.’ Marvel and Jon had to add another character from the Marvel universe to keep me included.”
Unfortunately, she doesn’t reveal either who she was playing, or who she is playing now. Okay, you’d think, just use some Google-fu. But this is one of those cases where that old Chinese proverb comes into play (or maybe we got it off Monkey , or something): “A man with one watch knows the time; a man with two watches is never quite sure.”
So, searching around the internet we came up the following “facts” from various sites:
- She’s playing Melina Vostokoff/Iron Maiden – a Russian character from the Marvel universe who was a rival to Black Widow
- She’s playing the voice of War Machine’s internal communications system (A J.A.R.V.E.T.T.E. to Iron Man’s J.A.R.V.I.S.)
- She’s playing The Scarlet Witch – another East European Marvel character (and member of The Avengers) who’s a mutant
Which raises a few questions:
- Melina Vostokoff/Iron Maiden doesn’t exactly sound like a comedy character – and IMDB had her listed as this character long before the latest news came out.
- A female internal communications system for War Machine could be played for laughs, but that’s not exactly a “character” from the Marvel universe. Also, why offer Munn another role, when presumably she could just provide more serious voiceovers instead? Unless the idea has been abandoned altogether (and not forgetting that it would seem pointless to cast a woman of Munn’s – erm – attributes in a voice role)
- Technically speaking, being a mutant, the Scarlet Witch may be out of bounds. We’re not sure about the finer details of the contracts, but Fox - home of the X-Men movies – has the rights to produce movies about Marvel mutants.
In other words – who knows? Wanna take any guesses?