Well, well, well, it looks like Riot decided to add another tank to League of Legends. Sort of. Volibear
is listed as a "fighter, jungler, tank" because of his ability to fit
into any role the team needs, as long as that role includes an angry
bear steamrolling through his opponents.
Above: The Champion Spotlight shows off the new Champion's moves and abilities in full
Volibear sounds like a ton of fun (literally! because he's a freaking bear), and his passive ability, Chosen of the Storm, looks like it might be his ace in the hole. While the text (below) doesn't fully describe convey how powerful it is, his ability to "heal rapidly for a few seconds when his health drops to a critical level" looks like it's enough to turn the tide of battles. In other words, expect for it to be nerfed in the very near future if it's half as powerful as this video makes it out to be.
His other abilities are quite varied, but his goal is clear: to chase down, initiate, and beat the living crap out of enemies. You can check them out below, and be sure to let us know how he plays in the comments.
- Rolling Thunder: Volibear drops to all fours and runs faster if chasing an enemy champion. The first enemy he attacks is knocked into the air.
- Frenzy: Volibear's repeated attacks grant him
additional attack speed. Once Volibear has repeatedly attacked four
times, he can perform a vicious bite on his target.
- Majestic Roar: Volibear lets out a powerful roar that damages and slows enemies. Minions and monsters are feared as well.
- Thunder Claws (Ultimate): Volibear channels the
power of the storm causing his attacks to blast his targets with
lightning that bounces to other nearby enemies.
- Chosen of the Storm (passive): Volibear heals rapidly for a few seconds when his health drops to a critical level.