Topics

E3 E3 2013 Sony

• Divine Paladin - June 11, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I've been expecting this to happen for years now. After being hacked, I knew Sony would go to a premium service in some way because there's only so much you can do while selling at a loss and giving stuff away for free. The fact that they're giving us a AAA launch title for free really shows that they're keeping PS+ intact as a great resource to have. Not to bash Microsoft here, but I'll take a brand-new game with a $50/year subscription over a six-year old one (that costs less than $10 at most game stores) and another four-game-outdated title for a $60/year (credit card subscription only*) service. (*Read MS's fine print on that. You only get games free if you subscribe via credit card annually.)
  • Sovtek - June 11, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Wrong. I just downloaded Fable III for free, and I am on a 12-month prepaid. Nice try though.
  • Divine Paladin - June 12, 2013 5:53 a.m.

Hey, I'm just relaying what the fine print said. I was able to download it too, and according to my brother, his friend who IS on credit card couldn't do so, so perhaps there's some typo or error or something goin gon.
  • Rhymenocerous - June 11, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Well, no more online gaming for me.
  • ObliqueZombie - June 11, 2013 7:09 a.m.

Still sucks, but PSN is a way, WAY better deal than XBL. After my girly friend got her PS3 this past Christmas, I was shocked at how many deals, discounts, and free games she got for a cheaper subscription price. This is okay in my book, seeing as how the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, and has more interesting games (IMO).
  • wadesmit - June 11, 2013 8:11 a.m.

That's a good point. I still think this is pretty shitty news, but I'm so used to my PS+ subscription and the PS4 /is/ cheaper than the Xbox One... So I'll begrudgingly accept it. I'm just upset that Sony have abandoned their attitude of "PSN will always be free". Well, I suppose they've cleverly kept that true, but fuck it that's not what we thought they meant and they knew that. Corporations, man.
  • ObliqueZombie - June 11, 2013 8:17 a.m.

I agree, and I'm not gonna act like Sony is a godsend like many other might, but their business plan is marginally better at every aspect than Mocrosoft's. I definitely know they won my heart this E3.
  • wadesmit - June 11, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Haha, there we go. Both sides brought some bad news, Sony just capitalised on the fact that they didn't have all the bad news MS did - making into good news.
  • soulcipher - June 11, 2013 6:21 a.m.

I never really used PS+ before. I always used the PSN, or Xbox Live for multiplayer. Being that now PS+ is the only way to play multiplayer I don't think it would be a bad transition. We still have a few more months to go before November so we will see.
  • wiitard07 - June 11, 2013 6:20 a.m.

Sony: "No more free online! :)" Community: "Cool! I understand! MS: "Online won't be free, but our cloud computing is up right away! :)" Community: "FUCKING MICRO$OFT. SUCK MY DICK YOU GREEDY CUNTBAGS" I see a problem.
  • sxh967 - June 11, 2013 8:13 a.m.

More like this - Sony: "You don't have to play online if you don't want to - but if you do we'd like a small fee from you. In return, not only do you get online MP but you get free games every month (including Driveclub and not old last gen games). Oh, by the way, you can do whatever you like with your games and your console won't die after 24 hours offline." Microsoft: "You'll get a couple of old last-gen games for the price of your XBL for a couple of months.. but then it'll go back to regular XBL and pretty much everything (including multiplayer) will still be behind a paywall. Oh, by the way, remember that online DRM and used game stuff you weren't happy about? Yeh... we're not changing any of it.. sorry.. not really sorry... Cloud computing is up right away! ... but that's only because we think you consumers are a bunch of thieves and we don't trust you with your games. ENJOY!"
  • talleyXIV - June 11, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Honestly watching the Xbone fail is kind of sad. I am not an Xbox fanboy at all but it's kind of crazy to think that these people trying to make money don't hear the complaints coming from every direction. It's like they don't even realize what kind of shit storm they are really in right now. They just keep going about their really horrible business and one day, hopefully launch day, they'll realize no one wants that piece of DRM junk they are selling. God damn I hope no one buys this thing so that they have to massively reform it.
  • BladedFalcon - June 11, 2013 9:22 p.m.

If your vision is narrow enough to see it just like that, and not with all the facts, then yeah, no wonder you see a problem, your vision itself is the problem :P
  • Sovtek - June 11, 2013 11:34 p.m.

This x 100. There is a seriously an article on this site that tries to use some cranial-rectal logic inversion theory to try and say that being forced to pay to play online is a good thing...as long as it is Sony charging.
  • PatHan-bHai - June 11, 2013 6:11 a.m.

Don't care much for online gaming so no problemo.
  • taokaka - June 11, 2013 5:35 a.m.

Why is everybody defending this? I was starting to worry sony's E3 was too good, now before you say "it's just a small $50 yearly fee don't get your knickers in a knot." Firstly as an Australian it is $70 for me but that's besides the point the reason why I never got PS+ was because as an avid fan I'd already bought the games I wanted that they were offering in the instant game collections. When I most likely get a ps4 and if I decide to purchase PS+ it is discouraging me to actually buy the games I want because I'll just keep waiting until they're on sale or free. Another reason this is utterly stupid is you need a credit card just to purchase PS+ and you know who don't have credit cards? A sizeable chunk of your target demographic, kids and teenagers. Finally, as PC gaming is becoming more and more popular it just seems like they're digging themselves deeper by making PC gaming just that more attractive for the common folk. I wouldn't have a problem if they gave non PS+ members a limited weekly allowance for online play, like 3 hours a week before you have to start paying.
  • awesomesauce - June 11, 2013 7:03 a.m.

you don't necessarily need a credit card. You can buy memberships and PSN cash at gamestop and CVS, etc.
  • taokaka - June 11, 2013 7:32 a.m.

Really? Well that's slightly better, I just remember trying to redeem a free promotional PS+ membership and it required my credit card details even though it was free.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 11, 2013 4:37 a.m.

Just read somewhere else that as long as there is one PS+ subscription on a PS4, any account on the system can play online. Can anyone confirm?
  • mbavalo - June 11, 2013 5:03 a.m.

True, I remember that being mentioned during the press conference.. that is unless they change their minds