Topics

E3 E3 2013 Sony

• rainn'sgaydar - June 11, 2013 4:37 a.m.

Just read somewhere else that as long as there is one PS+ subscription on a PS4, any account on the system can play online. Can anyone confirm?
  • Kermit1970 - June 11, 2013 7:03 a.m.

Yes I can confirm that. Think of it as 1 PS+ account per PS4 and any account on that PS4 can game online.
  • cory-smith - June 11, 2013 7:41 a.m.

That is confirmed.
  • CitizenWolfie - June 11, 2013 1:44 a.m.

It's a bit sneaky of them to fit it between the awesome announcements but I can understand them wanting to make it more profitable for them. Besides, I already gladly subscribe to PS+ so it doesn't make much difference to me
  • alex-lastom - June 11, 2013 12:28 a.m.

I know it's still better than XBL and you get the free games But boy does this sting.... Guess who won't be playing the new CoD / FPS games This guy .... (Sigh)...
  • mafyooz - June 11, 2013 12:03 a.m.

I don't play online multiplayer enough to care too much either way about this, but what I will say is that I recently accidentally took out a 3 month PS+ subscription after I forgot to take off auto-renew from a free trial. I was a bit pissed off at first because I am pretty tight with cash, but I can honestly say that in the end I got way more than my moneys worth the Instant Game Collection.
  • mafyooz - June 11, 2013 12:05 a.m.

"moneys worth FROM the Instant Game Collection", apparently I can't type this morning....
  • Errrrbo - June 10, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I'm okay with this. It's cheaper than Xbox Live and you get much more for your money. Free would've been nice, but this is still fine.
  • TheMariner - June 10, 2013 9:58 p.m.

I was kind of wondering how much longer Sony could afford to run free multiplayer servers. Though, considering what you get with PS+ that Xbox Gold doesn't offer, it definitely seems worth it. I'll just have to evaluate when I want to make the multiplayer switch to the PS4 because I'm not paying for both Gold and PS+.
  • TheFrostyGuy - June 10, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Everyone's talking about how Plus is more like Xbox Live policy now. But notice Tretton said that you DID NOT need a plus membership to use social and media apps (I'm assuming this means like netflix and youtube). That is something you DO need a Gold membership for, which is ridiculous. Can someone confirm this? This would inevitably continue Sony's dominance of video streaming usage.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 11, 2013 4:30 a.m.

I think you're right, and you make a good point.
  • CitizenWolfie - June 11, 2013 1:48 a.m.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not alone in assuming Sony would stay quiet about it in the conference only to meekly admit they were following suit later. But for them to end with a big "fuck you" to MS was the biggest surprise for me.
  • brickman409 - June 10, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Xbox live is becoming more like PlayStation plus and PlayStation plus is becoming more like Xbox live. Weird how these things work. First Microsoft gives free games to live members and now Sony does this.
  • ZeroPotential - June 10, 2013 8:50 p.m.

$50 bucks a year for 2 free games every month and discounts on other games? Sounds like a tough decision.
  • Sovtek - June 10, 2013 10:13 p.m.

I just find it so hilarious that absolutely nobody had anything positive to say in regards to the announcement by Microsoft to give away free games to subscribers. So if Microsoft does something nice for gamers, it's all "too little too late", but yet if Sony does something harsh to gamers like start making its' subscription mandatory, it's all "oh that's all cool, still get free games". Fucking fanboys.
  • Tyrlanae - June 10, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Microsoft did make a good gesture by giving the free games, but compared to plus it's still leagues behind. It offers only one part of what Plus does, and you still need to pay for Gold (which is $10 more a year) in order to access media apps, you do not have to do so with Plus. I think it's less about fanboys and more about the fact that that one good gesture from Microsoft is being utterly overshadowed by the rest of their self-imposed shit storm.
  • awesomesauce - June 11, 2013 7:06 a.m.

couldn't have put it better myself
  • Cyberninja - June 10, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Well the thing is they are only giving away to very old games that have no real revelvance anymore, while PS+ has a lot of more current stuff and is a better value, just because to things are similar doesn't mean they are equal.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 11, 2013 4:35 a.m.

The biggest difference is that landing today for PS+ is XCOM, Uncharted 3, and Saints Row The Third, none of which are even two years old. Landing for XBox Live are two much older games that could be bought used for about 10 bucks today.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 10, 2013 8:46 p.m.

They were just a little bit sneaky in how they worded this news, but I can't blame them. It's not exactly welcome news, but the value of PS+ and everything else it gives outweighs this new requirement. It may even improve the online play on PSN. It sucks, but it's far from a deal breaker.