Apex Legends Crypto released alongside Season 3 on October 1, 2019. He is the third character to be added to Apex Legends, joining speed demon Octane and electrical Wattson in an already jam-packed roster of Legends. If you thought Bloodhound was great at letting your team know where the enemy is, then you’ll be amazed to know that Apex Legends Crypto is 100x better at doing just that.
If you're trying to work out which are the best Apex Legends characters, we've got detailed guides for each one individually below.
- Apex Legends Bangalore character guide
- Apex Legends Bloodhound character guide
- Apex Legends Caustic character guide
- Apex Legends Gibraltar character guide
- Apex Legends Lifeline character guide
- Apex Legends Mirage character guide
- Apex Legends Octane character guide
- Apex Legends Pathfinder character guide
- Apex Legends Rosie character guide
- Apex Legends Wattson character guide
- Apex Legends Wraith character guide
Apex Legends Crypto ultimate & abilities explained
If Crypto had a middle name, it most certainly would be ‘recon’. With him around, your team is in a good position to know where the enemy is. His Surveillance Drone is also his tactical ability, which can be deployed and flown up to 200 meters away from Crypto. This can leave Crypto vulnerable if done incorrectly, or if your team is nowhere to be seen, but can be useful in exploring supply bins, buildings and even pinging enemy locations.
What makes his recon abilities so much more powerful than Bloodhound’s is Crypto’s passive, Neurolink. With Neurolink, Crypto’s team is able to see every little thing that the surveillance drone pings, giving your team the advantage in fights if the enemy tries to lose line of sight.
As for Crypto’s ultimate, Drone EMP, it’s exactly what it sounds. Using your Drone, Crypto is able to charge his Drone to unleash a shockwave of energy that deals 50 shield damage, disables traps and slows players down. The only downside to this is that Crypto’s Drone is very loud and can be shot down, so you’ll have to use it carefully. It’s situational, but if used correctly, it can be deadly for enemy teams.
How to play Crypto in Apex Legends - Tips and Tricks
- Pair your ultimates with Gibraltar or Bangalore - Your ultimate works well by itself, sure, but it’s best used with an airstrike from Gibraltar or Bangalore. We would suggest Gibraltar over Bangalore’s, solely because Gibraltar’s ultimate is a lot faster and can deal the most damage paired with Crypto’s ultimate.
- Look at the banners with Crypto’s Drone - You’ll often see banners scattered around the map, if you look at them through your drone you’ll see if there are any enemy squads within the 200 meter radius. This will give you time to plan accordingly.
- Use your Drone carefully - Crypto’s Drone is practically his lifeline. If he doesn’t have his Drone readily available, Crypto is just a character with no abilities. With that in mind, use your Drone as stealthily as you possibly can.
- Alternatively, use your Drone as a distraction - If you don’t mind not having your Drone for 40 seconds, you can use the Drone as a distraction for the enemy team to shoot at while you and your team close in and send the enemy packing.
How does Crypto’s hitbox compare to other Legends?
Crypto’s hitbox isn’t as big as Gibraltar’s or Caustic’s, but neither is it as small as Wraith’s or Lifeline’s. His hitbox is around about the same size as Mirage’s and Bangalore’s, meaning he doesn’t have the passive of Fortified or Low Profile.
Crypto voice actor - Johnny Young
Johnny Young is the voice behind the mysterious hacker, Crypto. Young has appeared in a few video games, such as Overwatch’s Dae-Hyun and World War Z’s Sho, but is a more prominent feature in TV series’ and movies like Ayla and Everyday Lies.
Check out Crypto, just make sure that your security software is up to scratch first. Better safe than sorry!
Apex Legends review | How to download Apex Legends | Apex Legends battle pass | Apex Legends Map guide| Apex Legends tips | Apex Legends Finishers| Best Apex Legends weapons | Best Apex Legends characters | Apex Legends Heirlooms Guide | Apex Legends crafting metal guide | Apex Legends Loot Tick locations | Apex Legends Nessy guide | Apex Legends cross platform | Apex Legends vault locations