Dwayne Johnson joins the DC universe, major characters MIA for Game Of Thrones season five and Syfy making a Childhood’s End mini-series
• Hodor! According to actor Kristian Nairn, he and Isaac Hempstead-Wright will be sitting out Game Of Thrones ’ fifth season, meaning no Bran, Hodor or creepy Child of the Forrest for another year. "We have a season off and we have a year’s hiatus, solely because I imagine our storyline is up to the end of the books,” says Nairn. There are still a couple of key scenes left to adapt from Bran’s story as of Dance With Dragons , but any more would mean going off-book in a major way. Worry not though; showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have plenty of other material to mine, with nine new cast members and a trip to Dorne on the cards for season five.
• After months of non-too-subtle teasing Dwayne Johnson has confirmed that he’ll play nemesis-turned-antihero Black Adam in Warner’s upcoming Shazam film. Shazam is the story of Billy Batson, a boy who can transform into costumed hero Captain Marvel with the powers of six mythological deities by saying the word “Shazam!” Jack The Giant Slayer ’s Darren Lemke is on scripting duties. The hunt continues for a director, and an actor/actors to play Billy Batson/Captain Marvel.
• A live action adaptation of Ghost In The Shell is in the works, and Margot Robbie ( The Wolf Of Wall Street , Neighbours ) is being tapped to star. Rupert Sanders ( Snow White And The Huntsman ) will direct from a script by Bill Wheeler, said to be a direct adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s original manga, rather than Mamoru Oshii’s anime classic. Robbie will likely play cyborg law-enforcer Motoko Kusanagi.
• Neil Gaiman’s imminent Hansel And Gretel graphic novel may soon be heading to a big screen near you. Farscape producer Juliet Blake has acquired the film rights and is developing the story as a live-action movie. “For me, retelling Hansel And Gretel was a way of telling an old tale in a way that made it immediate and true, and about us, now,” says Gaiman. “It reminds us of how paper thin civilization really is. It’s about hunger, and about families.” So not a Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters prequel then?
• And finally here’s a new trailer for blood-sucking origin story Dracula: Untold . Read more about Universal’s Drac reboot in SFX 253, on sale 17 September.