Topics

Top 7

• TheGreyWizard - January 6, 2014 1:06 p.m.

You've given up on The Last Guardian, haven't you?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 6, 2014 1:48 p.m.

Long ago, yes.
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 2:05 p.m.

It's just gotten to the point in which we might as well just lower our expectations so much that if it DOES come out, it'll be a pleasant surprise, but if it doesn't, we won't feel sad about it no more XD
  • tom-devries - January 6, 2014 12:57 p.m.

Cant wait for fallout 4 as well as a new elder scrolls on the ps4 but would also like to see some classics make a come back such as ohnimushu, tenchu, silent hill going back to its original form as horror survival just for starts there are hundreds of excellent titles just waitng to have new life put into it lots of expectations for this platform looking forward to see how well this year goes:)
  • paulhenkelman - January 6, 2014 12:55 p.m.

It wouldn't be Rouge Leader II, it'd be Rouge Squadron IV.
  • Pruman - January 6, 2014 12:48 p.m.

I would like to see Nintendo try to do something outside of their comfort zone, like an RPG, or an FPS. End the re-hashing that's been going on since the Wii days, and give us something NEW.
  • shawksta - January 6, 2014 1:43 p.m.

We have plenty of RPG's unless you mean specifics And Metroid Prime already makes for a good FPS, there were some interest by Miyamoto of the exploration part of First Person, but not necessarily a shooter. Otherwise I'm up for new ideas and risks but don't be stubborn, there were plenty of experiments, albeit not as grand scale as the main series, but there were.
  • Pruman - January 7, 2014 1:52 p.m.

True, I forgot about the Mario RPGs. And Nintendo basically foots the bill to bring Dragon Quest to America. Whoops. I left Metroid Prime off because even though it's in first person, until the third game the marketing term of "First Person Adventure" made a lot more sense. Until Prime 3, you didn't play the Prime games to shoot things. You played them to explore the worlds and occasionally fight a big boss. I guess what I meant was, Nintendo back in the day used to make their sequels different enough from what came before to justify investing in their platforms. Look at Mario 64 vs. Sunshine vs. Galaxy, for example. I won't deny that I possibly could be the problem. Maybe the Nintendo magic isn't gone, and now I'm just old enough to recognize this kind of stuff when I see it. Who knows...
  • shawksta - January 7, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Nintendo still do what they can. They revived Punch Out, they own the guys who make Xenoblade and now making a new X game, and their games still has flair. If anything its only the NSMB games that even have that notion of "Rehash" And there are plenty of FPS's out there, Metroid Prime is unique and different, which defines Nintendo, different from the norm. As I said I want new ideas as well, and with high productions. Hell, the newest IP Nintendo did with really high production was Kid Icarus Uprising, and even then that was a reboot and damn was it good, especially in the story aspect, writing and gave it fantastic voice acting, which is Rare for Nintendo, but it worked goddamn it especially with people like Scott Bulluck and Hyden Walch. It frankly gives me hope when Nintendo finally does make a new IP with the same productions costs but on Wii U
  • Pruman - January 6, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Sakamoto is the problem, not the solution. Every questionable, stupid, or downright head-scratching decision in that game can be traced directly to him. http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/sakamato-time-to-go/
  • shawksta - January 6, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Okay, lets ignore the fact that the brilliance of the past games were him as well just because of one game. People makes mistakes, don't just forget everything else.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - January 6, 2014 10:08 p.m.

He definitely shouldn't be given creative control on the next one. Besides the horrible story and characters in M:OM, he seems to be trying to make Metroid into a character driven series with linear game play. Zero Mission was the exception, being a remake, but Fusion and Other M were incredibly restrictive and mission based. Even Retro was starting to do this in Prime 2 and 3 with the stories and patterned(go to new area, find an obstacle, go back to old area for upgrade, fight boss of new area, go to next new area, repeat) game play, which might be why they weren't as well received as the first Prime. They also blocked sequence breaks in revisions of the games that added replay value. Furthermore, He supposedly has animosity towards the Prime series. If he had control over the studio than made the Primes, I doubt we'd a game any better than the last one unless they powered through creative differences and showed an exec a good concept before Sakamoto crushed it. more OT: I think they should just make a sequel to Fusion with the full open world metroidvania style, since we've been stuck on a cliffhanger for over a decade now. I also agree with some other posters that it should be vivid sprite based graphics if it's 2D.
  • Pruman - January 7, 2014 1:42 p.m.

The link I posted makes a pretty good argument that Metroid really started going off the rails once Sakamoto took greater control of it. Prime vs. Fusion illustrates this pretty well. One is a 3D version of Super Metroid, while the other one tells you exactly where to go and what to do and throws in tons of pointless text and cutscenes. Now that I'm thinking about it, you can totally see the very early seeds of Fusion and Other M's inferior direction in the opening and final 15 minutes of Super Metroid. The brilliance of that game was that, aside from those parts, the game design itself told the story. We didn't need Adam pulling us out of the world every five minutes to tell us that Brinstar was a lush environment covered in hostile plant life, or that the Wrecked Ship was full of malfunctioning and dangerous equipment, or that we'd have to kill each boss to open up Tourian - we figured it out on our own just by playing! We didn't need cutscenes showing us how badass Samus was - our agency through Samus made US feel like badasses! Prime used largely the same techniques and added lots of (completely optional) flavor text to fill in the details, which is why it's regarded so highly. Sakamoto's vision for Metroid seems to be more along the lines of Metal Gear Solid, which is a movie with a little bit of interactivity. This is not what Metroid games represent, at least not to me, and is why I don't want him in charge of any future installments.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - January 7, 2014 5:47 p.m.

That's a pretty good article explaining why Metroid is in the condition it is right now. Except, I hate what it said about Zero Mission being a zoo not a maze. It's probably the best we'll get with Sakamoto in charge. His attempts at a story were minimal enough not to break up the Metroid mood, the hand holding was mostly optional, and the sequence breaks while deliberately done were actually extremely well though out. I though I was stuck several times while in an extremely broken sequence until I found a high up missile block or hidden bomb block. Whether it's ZM's deliberate design or Super Metroid's "this has to be a miracle, how could they think of that' magic, that is what I feel Metroid should be like, an open world to explore while feeling like there's no one else there to talk to or rely on. Hopefully he is not arrogant enough to ignore this and our reactions to Other M. I definitely don't want another Metal Gear Solid like you say.
  • brickman409 - January 6, 2014 12:42 p.m.

I think the new metroid should be an FPS like the prime games, Nintendo has enough 2D and 2.5D platformers, they need some FPS games.
  • Vonter - January 6, 2014 2:26 p.m.

I agree, if by some miracle Nintendo should try bringing Destiny to the Wii U (it's coming to 360 for Gods sake). But not only FPS, aside from Sin and Punishment and RE 4 there has been a disturbing lack of 3rd person shooters, which bugs me since the Wiimote worked very well with those two titles.
  • majorsuave - January 6, 2014 12:37 p.m.

I want Valve to announce the green box: Half Life 2 Episode 3 Team Fortress 3 Left for dead 3 Portal 3 and Half Life 3 In one box
  • kachigop - January 6, 2014 1:51 p.m.

The gaming world would explode. But we can dream.
  • jh4911 - January 6, 2014 12:34 p.m.

I'd give my left testicle for a new Fallout.
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 12:21 p.m.

Ew, no 2.5 D Metroid, thank you very much. If they are gonna bother, they should do it right, as in, do it fully 2D, sprites preferably, but not exclusively. Super Metroid and metroid Fusuon remain the best games of the series IMO, and again, it's not like we're flooded with that kind of game, specially if they give it the full presentation and support it deserves. Also make it on the 3DS :P
  • SixSpeedSamurai - January 6, 2014 12:37 p.m.

2.5D like Shadow Complex would be awesome!