Like any comic book adaptation, we knew that Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse wouldn't be short of Easter eggs and references. The sequel to Into the Spider-Verse takes the intertextual shenanigans up a notch, too, with the introduction of the Spider Society, a very, very large group of Spider-People from every corner of the multiverse. It turns out, though, that the movie has way more Easter eggs than we could ever notice – "thousands", to be more precise.
"There's a lot. There's billboards that are on screen for like a second that I think are inside jokes to so and so and the other guy," co-director Joaquim Dos Santos told Collider when asked about just how many Easter eggs there are in the film. "If you look at the wide shots, half the members that are at the party [thrown to celebrate Miles' dad's promotion to police captain], sort of down below Miles and his mom, if you look really closely, those aren't even the CG models, those are just actors acting down there."
Across the Spider-Verse sees Brookyln's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) reunite with Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld) in another attempt to fix the ever-unraveling multiverse. This time, though, they get tangled up with the aforementioned Spider Society, led by the formidable Spider-Man 2099 (Oscar Isaac).
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is in cinemas now. For more on the movie, check out our spoiler-filled deep dives:
- Interview with Miles Morales actor Shameik Moore
- Interview with Spider-Punk actor Daniel Kaluuya
- Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ending explained
- All the Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse cameos
- Is there a Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse post-credits scene?
- When will Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse be on streaming?
- Beyond the Spider-Verse release date, cast, and more