Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 12:21 p.m.

Ew, no 2.5 D Metroid, thank you very much. If they are gonna bother, they should do it right, as in, do it fully 2D, sprites preferably, but not exclusively. Super Metroid and metroid Fusuon remain the best games of the series IMO, and again, it's not like we're flooded with that kind of game, specially if they give it the full presentation and support it deserves. Also make it on the 3DS :P
  • SixSpeedSamurai - January 6, 2014 12:37 p.m.

2.5D like Shadow Complex would be awesome!
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Eh, Not really if you ask me. Shadow Complex was an alright game, but not nearly as visually distinctive as the metroid games, (even though it came out decades after.) most of the settings and enemies were pretty forgettable, and the cover based combat was more of a detriment than a good idea. Replacing the elegance and space control timing of 2D action games with the droll and dull sequence of simply taking cove,r popping out, shooting, rinse and repeat.
  • Vonter - January 6, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I see it hard for Nintendo going the sprite route seeing the trend of their revivals going for a 2.5 look, especially if they want use the 3D effect (Like in the new Kirby). Also I don't see that support it deserves seeing how Metroid didn't had an anniversary like Zelda, Mario or Kirby. IMO I like another Prime game, improving the controls, interface and giving an excuse to show Wii U's power (not that it'll be groundbreaking but at least it could look very good only going by the Smash stage as an idea of how it could look like).
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 2:02 p.m.

I know. I'm not really EXCPECTING them to do so, as rarely does Nintendo deliver on what makes the most sense. And yeah, Metroid gets the cold treatment mainly because it's actually unpopular in Japan, it was only Americans who liked it in the first place. And Nintendo being Japanese... well makes sense for them to give preferential treatment to the franchises that are beloved in Japan more. And well, I didn't LOVE the metroid Prime games, but I liked them well enough, and I'd rather they did that than another half-assed 2.5 Metroid.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 6, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I think I agree. Commit to the 2D on 3DS, or commit to the FPS on Wii U. Or, as we've seen with Zelda recently, do both in the same year. 2014, the year of Samus, the sovereign maiden bounty hunter. That would be okay with me, though unlikely.
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 2:04 p.m.

Yup, I agree with this sentiment. Although I wouldn't call a Link between two World a commitment to 2D at all. Seeing how it has that godawful 2.5 D art style , and it's the main reason why I haven't really bothered to get it.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 6, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Well I meant release one for both platforms as they have with Zelda in 2013 and 2011 (OoT remake and Skyward Sword). And I understand the hate for the art style, but it truly is a 2D commitment except with stereoscopic 3D. Speaking as a true skeptic of the game going in, it really is the best new Zelda in forever. IMO, since Twilight Princess but I know a lot of people didn't love that one. Probably the best portable Zelda since Minish Cap. And like I said, this is coming from a skeptic going in.
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 2:31 p.m.

I did love Minish Cap a ton. And well, eh, I might eventually giving it a try, but certainly not any time soon, and I'm certainly not paying a full price for it. Even if the game itself is genuinely good, Nintendo has to pay the price for insisting in using that horrible half-assed polygon style for their 2D games. They don't look nearly as good as full 3D games, and they lack the charm and timelessness that sprites do.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 6, 2014 4:42 p.m.

I can't disagree there. They sucked me in with that gorgeous Zelda 3DS XL. Once I played it though I didn't regret the decision.
  • Vonter - January 6, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Ironically I think ALBW had the less backslash snce OoT about its art style, to this people still discuss of how Zelda has to look. But for this game it was like, good enough.
  • Desann - January 6, 2014 2:29 p.m.

I've never understood it when people say that 2D games need to be on handhelds. It just doesn't make any sense to me. What does it being 2D or 3D have to do with anything, especially these days where the handhelds are fully capable of doing 3D? Is the perception that 2D games are simpler and easier to understand, so it should be on a portable device because portable devices are made for and used by children, whereas consoles are made for older people who can handle three-dimensional spaces? None of that is true. I'm just trying to understand why there's always such a consensus that 2D games belong on handhelds. I say no, put them on the powerful consoles, give them big budgets, and make them deep, complex, and awesome. Relegate the first-person shooter series to the handheld with the tiny screens if you just HAVE to arbitrarily restrict a genre to a platform.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 6, 2014 4:40 p.m.

I'm not at all advocating that approach, as I loved games like Rayman Origins and Legends on console. My point was just that it would be neat to see two different types of games released on Nintendo's two platforms in the same year, similar to Zelda in 2011 and 2013. And the two games, which should be different in some way, could work well if one game was 2D and one was 3D. So I naturally assigned the 2D to portable because that's just the kind of the industry norm. Plus platformers don't have to be as demanding on hardware to be pretty, where an FPS would tax hardware to be graphically impressive, generally speaking. That's certainly not always the case.
  • BladedFalcon - January 6, 2014 5:22 p.m.

I have never said that 2D games have to be in handhelds exclusively. i apologize if you got that perception. I actually REALLY like me well done 2D games in HD home consoles, like Rayman Legends and Guacamelee. The only reason I said they should make such 2D Metroid on the 3DS has to do more with the fact that I own a 3DS but not a Wii U, and since Metroid is a Nintendo exclusive, they would only realease it on the Wii U if it was for consoles... And since I don't WANT to get a Wii U anytime soon... So basically, i asked for that out of unabashed selfishness :P
  • DarthPunk - January 6, 2014 12:07 p.m.

Also I have to disagree with one aspect of the entry on Metroid. Sakamoto was largely responsible for the rewrites to Samus in Other M so frankly keep him as far away from the next game as possible
  • Vonter - January 6, 2014 noon

I want a new IP with dinosaurs in it. Either being a survival game or a hunting game.
  • DarthPunk - January 6, 2014 11:55 a.m.

On a similar note to Star Fox Nintendo really needs to make a new F Zero
  • EAC73 - January 6, 2014 11:59 a.m.

I agree, I much rather have a new F-Zero as well, maybe with some new awesome music too.
  • shawksta - January 6, 2014 11:28 a.m.

There was a teaser a months back about a new Crash Bandicoot for PS4 coming, lets hope its true and not a hoax. Its too good to be true. The one thing that's been a continual issue on forums regarding Retro is the fact that people just want them to abandon whatever they are doing and going straight for Metroid. I mean its already really impressive that Retro even made the transition from Metroid Prime's super serious and spacey alone feeling atmosphere into DK's colorful lush and constantly active environment. Frankly when they're done with Tropical Freeze, polishing the skills and the fact that they brought back David Wise for it, they will no doubt learn something from this experience that will, who knows, help make their next game even better then if they hadnt given the old Ape a sequel. Also yes considering the change from Oblivion to Skyrim you would want them to do the same with Fallout, my brother's concern however is its velocity seeing how shooting arrows will sometimes disappear he wonders how they'll handle Snipers. Guess we'll wait and see.