Injustice: Gods Among Us led a very slow month for U.S. game sales, according to the NPD Group's April figures. The NetherRealm Studios/DC Comics production was the first fighter to claim the No. 1 spot since NetherRealm's last project, Mortal Kombat, in April 2011.
Industry sales overall were down 25 percent from last year to $495.2 million, though NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted that Easter (which fell in April this year but March last year) can account for as much as a ten percent bump in sales.
As always, these figures do not include digital sales--no Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, or eShop here.
Software sales dropped by 42 percent to $109.5 million, though the few games that did launch this month performed twice as well as those that launched in April 2012, Callahan said. Dead Island: Riptide claimed second place in its launch month, and BioShock Infinite slipped a bit to third place in its second month of sales.
April 2013 Top 10 Games
1. Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U) WB Interactive
2. Dead Island: Riptide (Xbox 360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver
3. BioShock Infinite (Xbox 360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PC) Activision Blizzard
5. Defiance (Xbox 360, PS3, PC) Trion Worlds
6. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) Nintendo
7. NBA 2K13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
8. Skylanders Giants (Wii U, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii ) Activision Blizzard
9. Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins (3DS) Nintendo
10. MLB 13: The Show (PS3, Vita) Sony
Log in using Facebook to share comments, games, status update and other activity easily with your Facebook feed.