• ZombiEquinox - March 25, 2010 11:02 p.m.

i agree with pengiunsrule3 Half-Life was the best game ever made, it has awesome game play and the story-line is so indepth that it involves 2 separate games (Half-Life series & Portal series) These so called "top 5 reasons" are so B.S. its not funny. You can't say they will never explain the G-Man because the series isn't over, Valve takes there sweet ass time making games because they take a Blizzard approach on it "we will release it when WE think its ready" not game developers now days who have the mentally thinking "HEY! its close enough we will release it and just patch it later because we are money grabbing whores" and for you people who are judgeing the game based on the Console versions I pity you, because im sorry but a console will never be as good as a PC, especially with Half-Life, and Now with Black Mesa remaking the Original half-life with the source engine you console people will never experience that.
  • gilgamesh310 - March 25, 2010 9:44 p.m.

Well I wasn't expecting this to pop up considering how much gamesradar respect half life and portal. Their second point about Gordon Freeman only contradicts an earlier article they had about gordon Freeman being the strongest personality in gaming but I suppose if one is looking at it from the haters perspective it kind of makes sense. The point about the crow bar doing too much damage is completely irrevelant, it may be a bit over powered but no more so than the melee's in halo or knife kills in the modern warfare games. It makes less sense in them games. They may well explain the G-man some day, I hope they do but only whenever the final half life game comes out, whenever that's likely to be. All things being considered I definately agree on their last point. It seems Gabe Newell doesn't give a shit about deadlines or the fans and just does what he pleases. They shouldn't have bothered with left 4 dead at all in my opinion, or at least could have left it till all the episodes of half life where complete. The fact that they were able to bring out a sequel to l4d just over a year after the first one shows that they're well capable of producing games quickly but just couldn't be arsed with other games. Even half life 2 was delayed for over a year for some stupid reason and it's ridiculous having to wait so long for episode 3 which completely contradicts the whole point of episodic content!
  • Dondada - March 25, 2010 5:21 p.m.

Love the Half Life series, hate Valve and that M$ cocksucker Gabe.
  • Conman93 - March 25, 2010 5:03 p.m.

Hve only played the first one and loved it! I should really get the orange box!
  • oryandymackie - March 25, 2010 4:45 p.m.

You're right about Gordon Freeman. I don't like him. However, Half Life is an FPS so I don't have to see him and I can lead him to an early, painful death at whatever time I choose. Ash Campbell in Evil Dead: Regeneration FTW.
  • Bloodstorm - March 25, 2010 4:23 p.m.

A frail old woman can kill someone with a rolling pin to the back of the head, its called blunt force trauma, so Gordon Freeman wailing on someone with a metal, sharp crowbar is going to hurt like hell and be deadly.
  • philipshaw - March 25, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Love the Half Life games but agree with point 5 that HL:EP3 is taking forever and still no solid details on it
  • hejjeh - March 25, 2010 2:29 p.m.

Half Life 2 is the best game ever made imo! So ******* good!!!! ..
  • AuthorityFigure - March 25, 2010 12:42 p.m.

Number 6: The serious tone is a turn-off. Even Resident Evil has it's light moments. Number 7: Dystopian settings wore-thin after Deus Ex. (Fallout's trying still though). Number 8: The title of the game and the promotional material give no indication to the game's content. I can't think of any other game that has this discrepancy displayed so arrogantly.
  • Randomwordcombination - March 25, 2010 12:04 p.m.

There's an error in the first entry, looks like the link needs to be added/fixed.
  • FinderKeeper - March 25, 2010 11:38 a.m.

@shinigamiDude Oviparous Beatdown! Oh, and I can't wait for the "We Hate Okami" article. Well, GR? Are you up to it? :-p
  • Vitoruss1 - March 25, 2010 10:05 a.m.

If I'm not mistaken, I do remember an article that deeply explained how Gordon was one of the best videogame characters in existance? No, it's all bullshit. Valve just got lazy so they didn't give him a personality and said, "OOOHH ITS UP FOR YOU TO DECIDE! OOHH!" which is also bullshit. Give the goddamn character a personality. The games were only mildly fun. Definitely overrated, along with Halo.
  • flare149 - March 25, 2010 7:29 a.m.

This article officially makes it the greatest Week of Hate EVER! I absolutely can't stand Half-Life. I get why it may have been popular when it came out, but it feels so dated now and the story and I've never really felt any connection to the characters. Yay Week of Hate!
  • Daedazrael - March 25, 2010 7:04 a.m.

I love Half-Life, but it's feels good to see it taken down a peg. I partially agree about Gordon and Alyx. I've never truly identified with Gordon as a character, he's just the skin the player wears in the Half-Life universe. My problem with Alyx stems from the perceived relationship she and Gordon have. Since Gordon is both silent and, to the player, invisible, the assertion's always felt very one-sided. I mean Master Chief and Cortana have a better relationship than those two, though probably because Halo, at it's core, is a love story. Anyway, obligatory G-Man theory: the G-Man is actually Gabe Newell after losing a ton of weight. Think about it. G-Man, Gabe-Man. OoOooOoOOOhHhh...
  • Cwf2008 - March 25, 2010 4:56 a.m.

@TheLefty: Thats a great number 6 because its true...i dont know what the big deal about Half-Life is, its not that great. Any of the Halos or Call of Dutys kick its ass easily
  • anthonyjh63 - March 25, 2010 4:50 a.m.

I remember when this site first came out you'd bust on IGN for "stealing" from you guys all the time. I'm going to disregard the irony of a Future entity calling IGN "stale" or any other number of synonyms you guys used for a second to focus on my main point: Dtoid does this better.
  • shinigamiDude - March 25, 2010 4:22 a.m.

I'd rather get hit by an ostrich sledgehammer than a crowbar.
  • TwoFirstNames - March 25, 2010 3:23 a.m.

Now if we can only think of 5 reasons to hate Portal, and consequently Portal 2.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - March 25, 2010 3:01 a.m.

i totally agree with no.1 (insert sound effect here)
  • Hobojedi - March 25, 2010 3 a.m.

Oh, but when Mastur Chief bashes someone with the butt of his battle rifle, it does 10x as much damage as one of the bullets from the same gun.