In the news today: Sin City 2 , TMNT documentary, George RR Martin, the latest E3 news and more!
• Sin City: A Dame To Kill For has a new trailer out, and it’s crammed with new teaser material. Johnny, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a new face in the city, and Nancy (Jessica Alba) is out for revenge. The iconic mostly-black-and-white colour processing is back, which makes the orange explosions look even cooler:
You can read more about this second Sin City film (which hits US cinemas on Friday 22 August) in SFX issue 251 on shelves in July.
• The world has enjoyed 30 years of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Paramount is giving us a documentary to celebrate. Turtle Power: The Definitive History Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles charts the franchise’s journey from indie comic book to global sensation. It’s being released on DVD on Tuesday 12 August, just after Michael Bay’s movie reboot lands on Friday 8 August.
• Star Wars: Underworld was cancelled before it even started, but new details have leaked regarding the plot we might have seen. Apparently, the TV series would have involved Lando losing the Millennium Falcon, Boba Fett in an action sequence, and “how Han met Chewie”. These snippets will launch a thousand fan theories…
• Stefanie Scott ( Jem And The Holograms , sitcom ANT Farm ) has been picked to star in Insidious: Chapter 3 . The franchise’s previous stars, Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson, are being replaced with new blood for the third instalment. Plot details aren’t out yet but we assume the previous instalments’ demon is going to return – the screenwriter, Leigh Whannell, certainly has.
• E3 rolls on , and this time we’ve heard news from Nintendo. They’ve revealed more details for two games in the Mario franchise, given us definite dates for Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire and announced an all-new non-linear Zelda game for the Wii U. Disney’s also been getting in on the action, talking about multi-console Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes . Everyone's getting psyched for the last entry in the Arkham game series. Warner Bros have released a new trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight , which features a mysterious adversary who challenges Batman’s right to the streets and the return of Scarecrow. But we’ll have to wait till next year to try out the teased Batmobile Battle Mode, as the game is released on new generation consoles in 2015.
• The winners of George RR Martin’s killer prize draw have been announced, in which entrants paid $20,000 for the chance to be murdered in the next book of A Song Of Ice And Fire . While one winner has remained anonymous, the other is a Facebook employee, Dave Goldblatt . All money raised by the draw went to charities in Santa Fe. Honestly, death is cheap in Westeros – 284 named characters die over five books , and that’s without paying for the privilege.
• The Boxtrolls has a new trailer out ! The animated Universal film follows the story of human Eggs, and his adopted troll family, as they try to escape an evil exterminator. Elle Fanning, Simon Pegg and Game Of Thrones ' Isaac Hempstead Wright are among the cast, and the movie’s out on Saturday 16 August.
• There's new material for Earth To Eden , including trailers – the sci-fi adventure follows three best friends helping a mysterious alien to get home. Earth To Eden lands in cinemas on Friday 25 July.