Figuring out how to watch the Marvel movies in order can cause a great deal of stress and arguing. After all, the MCU is 25 films deep and can now count several fully-fledged TV series among its body of work. The release order alone – off the top of your head – can be a challenge; putting together the chronological order of all Marvel movies is downright impossible without some serious work involved.
But don’t worry, we’ve put in the hard yards and compiled a complete Marvel movie order list. First, there’s the typical release order starting from Iron Man and ending at Shang-Chi. That’s for those who just want a simple A-B viewing marathon, are catching up ahead of Eternals, or are watching for the very first time. It even includes the Disney Plus shows for the full experience.
For the dedicated among you, there’s our second list: the chronological order of Marvel movies as it weaves through the centuries and up to the MCU’s ‘present day’ of 2023 and 2024. If you’re a completionist, seek this out – and discover the MCU in a whole new light.
And there you have it: scroll on down below for our full guide on how to watch the Marvel movies in order. Enjoy!
- How to watch the Star Wars movies in order
- All the upcoming superhero movies
- Our guide to Marvel Phase 4
How to watch the Marvel movies in order – release order
Best for: Newcomers to the Marvel movies.
First up, here's how to watch the Marvel movies in release order. Marvel films, we should note, are split into Phases, with the end of a Phase typically indicating a natural end to a story arc. The beginning of a Phase, therefore, signals the introduction of new, important characters. Below, we go through Phases 1 to 4 in release order. Yes, that includes WandaVision/Falcon and The Winter Soldier/Loki. No, they're not technically movies, but the MCU is changing so rapidly that the Disney Plus shows are now just as important.
- 1. Iron Man (2008)
- 2. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- 3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
- 4. Thor (2011)
- 5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
- 6. The Avengers (2012)
- 7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
- 8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- 9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- 10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- 11. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- 12. Ant-Man (2015)
- 13. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- 14. Doctor Strange (2016)
- 15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
- 16. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
- 17. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
- 18. Black Panther (2017)
- 19. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- 20. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
- 21. Captain Marvel (2019)
- 22. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
- 23. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
- 24. WandaVision (Disney Plus series)
- 25. Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney Plus series)
- 26. Loki season 1 (Disney Plus series)
- 27. Black Widow (2021)
- 28. What If...? (Disney Plus series)
- 29. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
Want to dive in right now? The majority of the Marvel movies are available on Disney Plus. If you want to check out the best deals for the streaming service, head over to our Disney Plus bundles page.
Watch on Disney Plus
As you've probably heard, Disney Plus houses the biggest collection of Marvel movies of any streaming service, and it's a super cheap way to watch without spending a small fortune on DVDs and Blu-rays. Prices start at $6.99 / £5.99 / AU$11.99 per month (or $69.99 / £59.99 / AU$119.99 per year).
We also know a fair amount of what's coming up in the future, with Marvel having laid out plans for Phase 4 and beyond. Here's a taste of the Marvel movies coming our over the next few years – and you can find a comprehensive list of all the new Marvel TV shows through that link.
Phase Four (and beyond):
- Eternals – November 5, 2021
- Hawkeye – November 24, 2021 (Disney Plus series)
- Spider-Man: No Way Home – December 17, 2021
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – May 6, 2022
- Thor: Love and Thunder – July 8, 2022
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – November 11, 2022
- The Marvels (AKA Captain Marvel 2) – February 17, 2023
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – May 5, 2023
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania – July 28, 2023
- Blade (TBA)
- Captain America 4 (TBA)
- Fantastic Four (TBA)
- Untitled Mutants movie (TBA)
- Ms. Marvel – 2022 (Disney Plus series)
- Moon Knight – 2022 (Disney Plus series)
How to watch the Marvel movies in order – chronological order
Best for: MCU veterans looking for a new way to watch.
Want to experience the MCU in a more complicated, yet still viable way? Then you'll perhaps want to know how to watch the Marvel movies in chronological order.
This one's a little more complicated than the above list. Luckily, Marvel has revealed the official year in which each movie takes place. That goes right up to Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which fits snugly in-between Endgame and Far From Home. Loki's place on the timeline remains to be seen.
- 1. Captain America: The First Avenger (1942-1943)
- 2. Captain Marvel (1995)
- 3. Iron Man (2010)
- 4. Iron Man 2 (2011)
- 5. The Incredible Hulk (2011)
- 6. Thor (2011)
- 7. The Avengers (2012)
- 8. Iron Man 3 (2012)
- 9. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- 10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- 11. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- 12. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2014)
- 13. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- 14. Ant-Man (2015)
- 15. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- 16. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2016)
- 17. Doctor Strange (2016-2017)
- 18. Black Widow (2017)
- 19. Black Panther (2017)
- 20. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
- 21. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2017)
- 22. Avengers: Infinity War (2017)
- 23. Avengers: Endgame (2018-2023)
- 24. Loki (outside of our conception of time, but around here!)
- 25. WandaVision (2023)
- 26. Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings (2023-2024)
- 27. Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2023-2024)
- 28. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2024)
How to watch the Marvel movies on Disney Plus?
Best for: People with a Disney Plus subscription
Disney Plus has changed the streaming game. A huge competitor to Netflix and Amazon Prime, Disney's entry into the online content wars has made a huge impact, bringing all of the Mouse's classic movies into one place. There are also original series, plus the majority of the Marvel movies.
Below, find all the Marvel movies on and coming to Disney Plus. Note: You will not find The Incredible Hulk or the Spider-Man movies on Disney Plus. This is because the rights to Hulk belong to Universal, while the rights to Spider-Man are with Sony, though the Spidey films should appear on Disney Plus sooner or later thanks to a new deal.
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- The Avengers
- Iron Man 3
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Thor: The Dark World
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Captain America: Civil War
- Doctor Strange
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Black Panther
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Captain Marvel
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Avengers: Endgame
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier
- Black Widow
That's how to watch the Marvel movies in order. So, what are you waiting for? If you haven't got Disney Plus, then here are the latest Disney Plus sign-up deals around the world. Now that the Disney Plus free trial is no more, it's the best way of getting maximum value for money.
For more on movie watch orders, check out our expansive piece on how the watch the DC movies in order. It's not quite as straightforward as the Marvel movies...