Topics

Gear

• sandplasma - December 13, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Any of these lists that do not include Sennheiser are not trustworthy. Turtle Beach is a mainstream brand that is suddenly great because everyone and their momma knows about it.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 12:19 a.m.

it's funny, because in the music world, i would say the opposite is true. sennheiser is one of, if not the most popular brand for recording, and it's what you see most noobs using, because they don't know any better, as it is a mainstream brand. i first tried sennheisers when i was doing a lot of recording, and i found them to be pretty worthless. sound was ok, but durability and comfort were far far from it. i switched to an older pair of sony's (from the 80's meant for analog recording), and was blown away by the difference. i've owned the same pair for years, though i've had to change the cups due to wear (i use them for everything). i even got all of my music buddies to get a pair. recently i got a TB px5 headset, and i can't see any possible way that sennheiser could make a better product.
  • sandplasma - March 14, 2013 7:40 a.m.

That's interesting, no offense, but could it be that maybe you don't know exactly what to look for in a good pair? I mean, if you think that a 1980s headset is better than one made recently.... I don't see how that can be possible unless you're simply indulging in a small dose of nostalgia that's making you think they are better? Another possibility may be that you're comparing extreme top of the line 1980s analog to newer entry level digitals.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 4:25 p.m.

no offense taken:) i've been playing and recording music for over 15 years, and would consider myself a bit of an audiophile, so i'd like to think i know exactly what to look for in a good pair:) sound quality has a large element of subjectivity to it. for example the argument between the quality of vinyl vs digital still rages today, and it has very little to do with nostalgia, as pretty much all of my friends and i grew up with cassettes. i like the warmer, pre-digital tones of older analog headphones, and mine only cost me $70. compare this to your run-of-the-mill sennheisers that will run you $100, and you may see where i'm coming from. what has less of an element of subjectivity is durability and comfort, and i'm far from the only person i know that has sworn off sennheisers due to their shortcomings in these regards. now i have a true digital (wireless) surround sound headset in the px5, an ideal compliment to the warmer analog sonys. they're made by turtle beach, but i care only for quality, not branding. if you can tell me that a pair of 363ds are worth $100 more, i'd have a tough time believing you. that said, i do agree that omitting them entirely from the list is unfortunate, and i forgot to mention that in my last post.
  • NanoElite666 - November 22, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Used to use a Turtle Beach PX21 (which looks to be the actual headset shown in the DPX21 section). Great sound, especially the bass, but after about six months or so the left ear went out and I had to resort to taping the wire up in various positions to get the side to function at all. According to some research around the internet this is apparently a common problem with that particular set (apparently I'm luck to have had it last that long; some people reported their headsets crapping out on them withing a week or even a few days). So buyer beware: it works great while it works, but it may not work as long as you would like. Currently using a Steelseries Siberia V2. Sound isn't quite as good as the PX21 (not as much bass mostly), but still good headset nonetheless. Stupid-comfortable to wear as well. Only problem I have with them is the mic likes to pick up whatever audio I'm running through the set, which then draws complaints from people I'm playing with because they can hear everything that I'm doing in my game. I don't know if this is common across the line in general or just due to a faulty build in my set, but it's kind of annoying regardless. Alas, my quest for the perfect headset continues. Might have to look into one of the higher-end sets whenever my current set calls it quits. Which hopefully won't be for a while.
  • GamesRadarBrianKim - November 23, 2012 2:09 a.m.

Thanks for catching that. Are you playing on console or PC?
  • NanoElite666 - November 23, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Both actually. The PX21 is compatible with PC, PS3, and 360, so I was using it with my PC and PS3.
  • sweetchiliheat - March 13, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I've had the same problems with the same model. Luckily it was on sale (and worked for a week), and then I was back to square one
  • jaglon53 - April 10, 2013 6:07 a.m.

How come the article about the turtle beach COD blacks ops 2 Sierra headset has a picture of the turtle beach black ops 2 Tango wireless headset? I own the Tangos which are awesome and just wanted to know if you guys mixed up the review because some of the coolest features on the Sierra,s are even left out of the review/description.
  • 7-D - November 22, 2012 10:45 a.m.

I'm an Astro man myself. Such a well made product down to the last detail. Starting to play games wearing these was like the audio equivalent of the graphical leap between a Master System and Late PS3 graphics with nothing in between. Mind bending.
  • shawksta - November 22, 2012 10:38 a.m.

Great choices, while me and my bro do use our Turtle Beach for Chatting with friends while playing Multiplayer together, we also love just listening to our favorite games with them, with no interruptions by chatting. While it has no chatting feature the Wii still works with them to listen to games, which is awesome
  • ThatGamerDude - November 22, 2012 9:48 a.m.

I rather enjoy my Turtle Beach DPX21 headset. It definitely is a jack-of-all trades sort of headset that sounds especially well when listening to anything action-packed (lke playing Call of Duty or watching the Dark Knight). Just be aware that they are delicate and that some units have a "buzz" or high-pitch ringing sound that may annoy some people but overall it's a relatively good headset for below $200.
  • BrunstigElg - November 22, 2012 8:02 a.m.

You missed the Steelseries 7H USB?!?!?!? D: that thing is freaking awesome!
  • ObliqueZombie - November 22, 2012 7:38 a.m.

Atros. <3 It's like wearing a damn cloud on your ears.