Topics

Gear

• sweetchiliheat - March 13, 2013 1:04 p.m.

I currently use Turtle Beach Earforce PX5. They're pretty much the Earforce Sierra with less bells and whistles, and about $100 cheaper. If you're still hard pressed for cash, then the unpopular (mostly because they're a wired version of a wireless headset) Earforce X11 are a great choice. Long cords, decent surround sound (but not even close to the PX5s) and a great price (<$50) gives you an excellent, comfortable and relatively cheap set.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 12:31 a.m.

lovin the px5. exceeded my expectations.
  • Beno1116 - March 8, 2013 2:07 p.m.

The best mic I have is the triton halo 4 limited addition and it is 7.1 surround sound and the moddle is Warhead but the price for a good warhead is 200 pounds but is worth it
  • thomas-rowan - February 25, 2013 1:54 p.m.

He forgot to add the Sony Elite Pulse Headset which for most PS3 gamers is a great headset which are more durable than most other headset and sound better also but for a lower price than main brand. Its only 149.99. I have them and they are great especially the Bass Impact feature and its completely wireless. Also the mic is built into the earcup so its not in your face all the time. to me its a great buy and it has different modes for different types of games and for movies and sports too. It has surround Sound and a 3.5mm jack so you can plug it into your smartphone, tablet or anything that takes that jack. Also you can use it on PC also and it works great. its just sad that it goes unnoticed in these types of talks.
  • LSZ - March 13, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Agreed. I use the Pulse for both PS3 and PC and it's great. Wireless is a big feature for me and being able to connect with simply one USB dongle is a huge convenience.
  • mads-kristoffersen - February 6, 2013 2:27 a.m.

I am writing an assignment and I would love your help guys! I am trying to figure out what is important in a gamer headset. If you could custom make your own how should it be? What are important aspects when purchasing a new pair?
  • sweetchiliheat - March 13, 2013 12:56 p.m.

A few criteria to consider: - Comfort: If you're wearing a headset for prolonged gaming sessions, you want something that doesn't hurt (like a mesh) and also something breathable (so not leather!) - Audio quality: This is almost a subjective criteria, as what sounds awesome to one person will not for another. Still, something that supports multiple audio profiles, or customization over what you hear is never a bad choice - Noise cancelling: Because whining kids and drunken roommates are great immersion breakers. On the flip side, you might not hear your alarm go off and end up late to class - Chat volume control: Because the inability to hear the game because of some raging/yelling/singing/laughing party member sucks - Amount of wires: The real reason your mother will break her back...and never forgive you - Multiple system compatibility: Owner of more than one console? This is feature should be important to you - Price: some people have budgets - Reliability: This comes from user reviews more than anything. Nothing like buying a sweet new pair and then replacing them after a month
  • sandplasma - December 13, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Any of these lists that do not include Sennheiser are not trustworthy. Turtle Beach is a mainstream brand that is suddenly great because everyone and their momma knows about it.
  • Moses_Jesus_Bond - March 13, 2013 5:06 p.m.

Agreed, i was about to say the same thing myself.I was wondering why they where not on this list. Sennheiser's are top notch, but since Turtle Beaches have greater mind share people think they are quality. It sucks they buy them not knowing there a far better headsets out there.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 12:19 a.m.

it's funny, because in the music world, i would say the opposite is true. sennheiser is one of, if not the most popular brand for recording, and it's what you see most noobs using, because they don't know any better, as it is a mainstream brand. i first tried sennheisers when i was doing a lot of recording, and i found them to be pretty worthless. sound was ok, but durability and comfort were far far from it. i switched to an older pair of sony's (from the 80's meant for analog recording), and was blown away by the difference. i've owned the same pair for years, though i've had to change the cups due to wear (i use them for everything). i even got all of my music buddies to get a pair. recently i got a TB px5 headset, and i can't see any possible way that sennheiser could make a better product.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 12:27 a.m.

i love the color green, but good lord those razer krakens are hideous.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 12:29 a.m.

why is my comment meant for the top attached to my other comment? the world may never know...
  • sandplasma - March 14, 2013 7:40 a.m.

That's interesting, no offense, but could it be that maybe you don't know exactly what to look for in a good pair? I mean, if you think that a 1980s headset is better than one made recently.... I don't see how that can be possible unless you're simply indulging in a small dose of nostalgia that's making you think they are better? Another possibility may be that you're comparing extreme top of the line 1980s analog to newer entry level digitals.
  • avantguardian - March 14, 2013 4:25 p.m.

no offense taken:) i've been playing and recording music for over 15 years, and would consider myself a bit of an audiophile, so i'd like to think i know exactly what to look for in a good pair:) sound quality has a large element of subjectivity to it. for example the argument between the quality of vinyl vs digital still rages today, and it has very little to do with nostalgia, as pretty much all of my friends and i grew up with cassettes. i like the warmer, pre-digital tones of older analog headphones, and mine only cost me $70. compare this to your run-of-the-mill sennheisers that will run you $100, and you may see where i'm coming from. what has less of an element of subjectivity is durability and comfort, and i'm far from the only person i know that has sworn off sennheisers due to their shortcomings in these regards. now i have a true digital (wireless) surround sound headset in the px5, an ideal compliment to the warmer analog sonys. they're made by turtle beach, but i care only for quality, not branding. if you can tell me that a pair of 363ds are worth $100 more, i'd have a tough time believing you. that said, i do agree that omitting them entirely from the list is unfortunate, and i forgot to mention that in my last post.
  • NanoElite666 - November 22, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Used to use a Turtle Beach PX21 (which looks to be the actual headset shown in the DPX21 section). Great sound, especially the bass, but after about six months or so the left ear went out and I had to resort to taping the wire up in various positions to get the side to function at all. According to some research around the internet this is apparently a common problem with that particular set (apparently I'm luck to have had it last that long; some people reported their headsets crapping out on them withing a week or even a few days). So buyer beware: it works great while it works, but it may not work as long as you would like. Currently using a Steelseries Siberia V2. Sound isn't quite as good as the PX21 (not as much bass mostly), but still good headset nonetheless. Stupid-comfortable to wear as well. Only problem I have with them is the mic likes to pick up whatever audio I'm running through the set, which then draws complaints from people I'm playing with because they can hear everything that I'm doing in my game. I don't know if this is common across the line in general or just due to a faulty build in my set, but it's kind of annoying regardless. Alas, my quest for the perfect headset continues. Might have to look into one of the higher-end sets whenever my current set calls it quits. Which hopefully won't be for a while.
  • GamesRadarBrianKim - November 23, 2012 2:09 a.m.

Thanks for catching that. Are you playing on console or PC?
  • NanoElite666 - November 23, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Both actually. The PX21 is compatible with PC, PS3, and 360, so I was using it with my PC and PS3.
  • sweetchiliheat - March 13, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I've had the same problems with the same model. Luckily it was on sale (and worked for a week), and then I was back to square one
  • jaglon53 - April 10, 2013 6:07 a.m.

How come the article about the turtle beach COD blacks ops 2 Sierra headset has a picture of the turtle beach black ops 2 Tango wireless headset? I own the Tangos which are awesome and just wanted to know if you guys mixed up the review because some of the coolest features on the Sierra,s are even left out of the review/description.