• Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Are PC gamers really insecure? That's the only justification I can think of for such a dumb video. Talk about how much more hardcore and sophisticated you are all you want, but something else you might've wanted to added that PC gamers are far, far, far more likely to steal their games.
  • comaqi - December 17, 2011 1:20 p.m.

If we're talking in generalities here, console gamers are far, far, far more likely to be angry babies who throw a fit every time someone says gamers are not all alike.
  • oldschoolgamer - December 17, 2011 1:34 p.m.

as opposed to a console gamer more likely to walk into there doormates room and Borrowing their friends copy never to see it again?
  • AraxisHT - December 17, 2011 5:25 p.m.

Actually, console gamers are more likely to steal games for use on PC. Gamers (in the west, I don't speak for Russia/parts of Asia)who use the PC as their primary platform are less likely to pirate games.
  • Net_Bastard - December 18, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Ignoring the fact that piracy is just as rampant on a console because it's a statistic that isn't touched upon.
  • FloJoe - December 16, 2011 11:11 p.m.

I own both a PC and a Xbox 360. when i first started gaming properly i got an Xbox 360, it was a fun relaxed gaming experience. about 2 years after that i got a PC, it blew my mind how much better it was. PC gaming is a lot more of a wholesome, fulfilling gaming experience. now my Xbox 360 is covered in dust and i have literally not played it in a year. since my move to PC gaming ive also built 7 gaming rigs for both family and friends, as well as my own. i strongly reccomend the move to PC gaming to anyone who sees console gaming not as fulfilling as they'd like it to be.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 16, 2011 11:08 p.m.

From the perspective of someone who has no prejudice on the systems themselves, this is by-far one of the most insulting, pretentious Q&As I've ever seen. It does nothing more than reinforce the stereo-type of the PC gamers as snobby douche bags, and tries ever-so hard to pigeonhole console gamers as belligerent, screaming children. If a non-gamer were to look at us from the outside, we're hands-down the worst "community" ever. Can we please fix this sh*t?
  • ParagonT - December 16, 2011 9:15 p.m.

They claim that PC gamers are not snobby, but then after you listen to them talk about how their more "sophisticated", it really just cements the stereotype they reject. Many of my friends are PC gamers, but most of them do feel as if their somehow better than console gamers. This however does not mean that all PC gamers are snobs, it just says that most PC gamers I know are cocks that wants to feel better at doing the same thing console gamers do as well, play games. Pathetic on both sides to be honest. Because both sides are more common than they claim, they play games, and have fun.
  • Net_Bastard - December 18, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Which obviously means that EVERY PC GAMER IN THE WHOLE GOD DAMN WORLD IS LIKE THAT. Get fucked.
  • BudaBaker - December 16, 2011 8:45 p.m.

I have a pc and a 360 i prefer pc games more because i like the controls and the exclusives are awesome but i usually play multiplayer games on 360 because most of my friends don't play pc.
  • Spybreak8 - December 16, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Demographics are one thing but stereotypes are another. I'm pretty sure many PC gamers are also Console gamers now. Also since you're a PC gamer doesn't necessarily mean you've customized your "Rig". Like the one guy says there's such a variety of games you can't answer that question. PC/360/3DS for me.
  • darron13 - December 16, 2011 7:55 p.m.

I own a PC and a PS3, I buy exclusives for each as neccesary and I play multiplatform games depending on which I prefer to play it on e.g. I got Dead Island on PC because most of my friends who'd play that kind of game own PCs, I got Prototype on PS3 back in the day because I didn't have a gamepad and prefered to use a controller to play that kind of game Now, for this idea that PC gamers are somehow more mature and expect 'deeper cerebral experiences'? Bullshit. You'd find gamers of all different kinds across all the different consoles, it is NOT so simple as saying PC gamers are smarter and console gamers are simple. While sure, consoles have many mindless games like Call of Duty and whatnot, that's not to say PC's don't somehow fare better, with stuff like Painkiller. Both consoles AND PCs have games of all types, probably the only genre that PC has that consoles don't would be RTS, but that doesn't somehow make them more intellectual. This whole video is just encouraging PC elitism...
  • aahzzy - December 16, 2011 6:58 p.m.

The last guy saw the PCGAMER mic and answered accordingly.
  • chainchomp - December 16, 2011 6:15 p.m.

In addition to the my previous comment. If you only own a PC *gasp* *shock* *horror*! (This may actually be possible, believe it or not). Then every game you buy will be on PC. This will have nothing to do with 'maturity' or being some freaking stuck up snob like the video suggests. Your only making do with the tools you have for the task.
  • chainchomp - December 16, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Can the media please stop segregating PC gamers from console gamers? There is no difference if you like games you won't care what you play it on, only if the game is good. I play on 360, PS3, PC, PSP, 3DS, Android and iPhone. I keep the good games an trade in the crap. The above video seemed to be a bunch of cringe worthy geeks struggling to explain something not worth explaining, because there is no answer. You chose your platform based on what's best for you and what platforms your friends own. For example if you have a friend who only owns a 360 and you both want to play Borderlands together, then you buy it on the 360. That's exactly how I operate anyway.
  • AraxisHT - December 17, 2011 5:30 p.m.

This is only true for the average casual gamer. Just like the average movie goer doesn't care what movie they see as long as they get one base furthur with their girl/guy and the Person who actually cares about movies will try to only see the good ones because of their quality; casual gamers don't care about gaming platforms as long as they get to fart around and "pwn n00bs" but "real" gamers do because there is a distinct difference in the quality of the game/platform.
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 16, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Attitude, attitude, attitude. Now, this isn't meant to troll any decent PC gamers, but the smugness surrounding most of them is unreal.
  • Net_Bastard - December 18, 2011 12:43 p.m.

"Now, this isn't meant to troll any decent PC gamers..." = "I'm not a racist, but..."
  • CrabbyMcFartLice - December 16, 2011 5:44 p.m.

The big difference is customization and community. If you don't like something about a PC game, a texture, sound, model, UI element, you can fix it, or if enough people don't like it, odds are someone else fixed it. If there's something you'd like to see in a PC game, there are oodles of mods for pretty much every big name title, both client side and server side mods. A PC game is your game, it's your experience, with all the mods that are already out there for Skyrim you can play your Skyrim, a Skyrim tailored to you, not the same Skyrim everyone else is playing. Dedicated servers are another huge advantage of PC gaming. Paying for, or hosting your own server allows you all sorts of flexibility in terms of custom mods, and user control. Which is to say if someone were to join a server and start acting obnoxious, you have the power to kick, and IP ban them. Consoles have ways of doing this too, but nothing as complete as PC gamers have. I think it's that involvement with PC servers, of either hosting your own, or paying for one, that helps to squelch the more obnoxious players, if you put work or money into it, you want to make sure people want to play on it, this involves keeping the number of obnoxious people on your servers down. I'm not saying the PC world is full of amazing and brilliant people, it has its share of cocks, but when those cocks run rampant on a server you're paying for, or are hosting, you have more incentive to give them the boot. The community, too. It's a different mindset, patching your game, making sure everything's running, that all the drivers are making your game happy, mapping the keyboard to your liking, and all the general tinkering that comes with PC gaming gets your more involved. I have never booted up a PC game and just started playing. There are always, usually several settings I change before I start playing. There are people who like that, that control they have over their game, and some people who can't be arsed, neither way is better or worse. PC gaming is for the DIY folk, console gaming is for people who want something to work, and don't care why. Neither one is better than the other, they're different things.
  • UberNoob - December 16, 2011 5:25 p.m.

I believe what separates PC gamers from console gamers is occupation. Majority of the PC gamers I know do more than just game. They do 3D rendering, editing, gaming, and more. They are quite a creative and passionate bunch. From case mods all the way to benchmarks and programming, they do a lot with the PC. Unfortunately, the "young" generation of PC gamers are a bit more hostile to console gamers. They don't understand the passion in tech PC gamers should have and the versatility of the PC they should value. They take it for granted and use it to give themselves a title. The older generation just doesn't care, and is more concerned about their own platform than the others TBH.
  • comaqi - December 17, 2011 12:24 a.m.

I couldn't have said it better myself.