We Recommend

• jmcgrotty - December 27, 2011 1:22 a.m.

Easy to tell the difference. Some made it through grade school. Everyone else plays consoles. (OK, I admit that there was no reason for me to say that other than to look like a dick. And the sad part is that I don't even mean it)
  • GhostNappa2k10 - December 26, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Ok, one of the comments was "PC games have a lot of story". I love PC and console games, but console games do also have a lot of story. Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Uncharted. Need I say more?
  • jmcgrotty - December 27, 2011 1:45 a.m.

I may have missed it, but who said in this thread that PC games have a lot of story? And of course they are right. I mean, that storyline for Cabellas Big Game Hunter is groundbreaking! (And here is where you point out to me that the game isn't a PC exclusive)
  • GhostNappa2k10 - December 30, 2011 7:03 a.m.

I may have been hearing things, so forgive me :P oh, you're right there, Cabella's Big Game Hunter has THE most epic storyline ever! Also, I'd rather not admit that game is on consoles, as it's shit xD
  • timeaisis - December 20, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Can't we all just get along? :( No, kidding. I consider myself both. I do equal amounts of gaming on both my console and PC. And I do generally agree that PC games usually have more complex mechanics at work. You just can't do Strategy games on consoles, for example. Console gaming is a little less complex, but I feel like its more about presentation, less about customization, which is fine. For example, I can get engrossed in the atmosphere and story of a game much better when I play it in my living room, lights out, on a nice TV. PC gaming is more about the customization, and breadth of options. Like I play Skyrim on PC because I simply can get more out of it, I have more options. Similarly, I can only play Total War on PC, or Starcraft, etc. So it's not a debate about "who's better", but generally, PCs are more cutting edge, while consoles are more homogenous (but lack many issues that PC gaming does--i.e. I'd never play Uncharted 3 on a PC even if it came out...it just wouldn't feel right).
  • GhostNappa2k10 - December 26, 2011 7:25 a.m.

No, console gamers and PC gamers will always alg each other off. Like you, I also consider my self both, as I use my console for games like Skyrim and MW3 (as my laptop can't run them), and my laptop for strategy games, indie games, and games you cannot get on console (Postal, for example). I respect and enjoy both platforms, but there will always be idiots arguing that their platform is better. As you say, neither platform is "better", but some people will never get that into their heads.
  • GhostNappa2k10 - December 26, 2011 7:42 a.m.

*slag each other off xD
  • InFeRnOg - December 19, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Gamesradar: I like these PC Gamer things you've been posting lately. Keep it up.
  • WarWasp - December 18, 2011 3:57 p.m.

I like it because they're less accessible. Take Battlefield for example; the little kids get frustrated and leave, while the adults take the time to learn and adapt.
  • angelusdlion - December 18, 2011 3:31 p.m.

In my experience they're not different at all. Most of my friends and myself own both consoles and gaming quality computers.
  • Net_Bastard - December 18, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Here is why I'm a PC Gamer: I suck at using a controller. If you could give me $1,000,000 to keep the right analog stick straight while aiming at a target then I wouldn't be able to do it, no matter how hard I try. An average gamepad has slightly more than 12 buttons. An average keyboard with a numpad has over 90 gaming suitable keys. A basic mouse has 3 buttons to add on to that. A professional gaming mouse has 5-10 buttons to add on to that. so that's about 100 buttons for your games, which makes game development a lot easier. A console fanboy would think that we're graphics whores. They seem to be forgetting that PC games have mods. Graphics are the least important of our reasons for getting into PC games. Mods are awesome. You can mod console games, sure, but that would force you to illegally modify your console, which would restrict online access and void your warranty. And adding on to that point, we can do whatever the fuck we want to our operating systems without violating a contract. I'm using a custom skin on Windows 7 right now, which involved me modifying important system files. Console gamers would have to void the Terms & Conditions to do that! Did I mention video game mods? Xbox 360 Minecraft players can say goodbye to texture packs and mods! Because it feels like a different experience to consoles. Even when I'm playing a really shoddily ported console game, I still feel like I'm playing a PC game. Multiplayer is fun as hell. I remember playing my first MMORPG with my brother on two different computers in the same room. That was the first all-nighter I pulled. I had much more fun than I did when I played a splitscreen console game. Now with multiplayer becoming more commonplace with the PC (Serious Sam 3 has 4-player splitscreen and 16-player LAN co-op!) it's going to be even more amazing. I know that I said that graphics didn't matter. But this isn't about graphics. It's about the amount of stress PC hardware can take. You can currently get a 512MB graphics card for $50. That's twice the VRAM of a console. A 1GB GTX 560 Ti costs $220. That's much more VRAM and a much better clock speed than a console's graphics card. And that power pays off. The final level of Serious Sam 3 has ~1800 enemies in total. A console wouldn't be able to do that. It's true that PC gaming is more expensive. But we get all those things I mentioned. It's like comparing a family-sized sedan to a luxurious hypercar. And no, I am not a PC elitist. I respect consoles. I even boot my PS3 up every time there's a good exclusive on it. I was one of the people who cheered when Crysis 1 came out on consoles. But saying that PC is better than console for any reason besides affordability is just wrong. The end.
  • jmcgrotty - December 27, 2011 1:47 a.m.

Just to point out something... I think you mistyped parts of your post. No one in their right mind think that mods are a good idea. Are one of the biggest cancers of the industry. Similarly, there is nothing good about online play, in any fashion. Hope this helps you from future embarrassment.
  • Deres - December 18, 2011 5:19 a.m.

I just think the difference is the amount of money people have. You can get a console for <300 dollars anymore. However in order to play the same high end games on a computer it would probaly cost you >500 dollars minimum. Now naturally PC gamers have a wider variety of games to play but I think it just comes down to the amount of money they have to spend. Just for reference sake i used to PC game but it broke i was low on funds from school so console it turned into
  • oldschoolgamer - December 19, 2011 12:50 p.m.

it's true when the console comes out... but not when its been out for 6+ years.. You can build a computer that will blow away a console for about 100 bucks these days if your a savey shopper. But now for your 500 bucks, (the cost of that console when it first launched, even though they sell the console's under their tech price, cause they make it up and then some by charging an extra 10 bucks a game. the fact is computers are just more powerfull, when going with the latest tech. take a game like skyrim, If that was PC only it would be lots better. They wouldnt have had to dumb down the AI, or run at lower end graphics, or reduce the number of people in cities, that would cause that console to run at a snails pace. If you added say 3-4x the number of people in a city, to make it from felling like noone was around. Or add much more complicated AI, for battles, the game wouldnt even work on the x-360 (just like it wouldnt run on a 6+ year old computer) You can't expect any dev to make a game just for the newest tech.. But these days with the popularity of console games, and the amount of money they make, the best hope for PC gamers is wait for the next gen consoles.. which i know all of us can't wait, so we arent stuck 6 years in the past.. and by the time that next gen console comes out, it will be closer to 10...
  • Mamudo - December 18, 2011 12:12 a.m.

I only got into PC gaming a few years ago and I really enjoy it but I haven't put much of an investment into it. I only have my laptop and play whatever I can on it. Some types of games just work better on PC.
  • winner2 - December 17, 2011 8:32 p.m.

I'm not even going to read/watch the article, or read any of the comments. I'm predicting massive amounts of negativity with a few doses of wise neutrality in this comment section. That being said...games are for enjoyment, not for sources of argumentative material
  • vikkersfd - December 17, 2011 6:19 p.m.

different in that their pc's are not broken as opposed to their counterparts console, which likely is broken.
  • oldschoolgamer - December 17, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Its kinda funny reading the comments, when basically all the article did was spit out the facts.. computer games are deeper, more complicated, and generally invent the tech. If your doing it on a console, you can be assured that it was developed on a PC. (ok, outside of sports games, for some reason pc gamers dont really care about them.. driving games is a whole other story) Thats not to say that a console isnt fun to get together with your buddies and play a session of halo or play mario for 100's of hours. But its hardly deep/complicated gaming, and atleast now you don't even have to be in the same room. But computer guys have been doing that for almost 20 years now. Instead of being bent on why computers are better, why not look at what computer games are doing today, that will make its way into the next gen console, for you to enjoy in your future gaming. So ya have to wait a few more years. It will be worth the wait. consoles have added one thing, and thats bigger budgets, But just like pop music, bigger budget doesnt always mean better.. But it does always mean bigger. But thankfully we will have the pc devs breaking molds for years to come. PC gaming isnt going anywhere..
  • opeth784 - December 17, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Intro the Aesthetics: complexity=/=quality. go to class.
  • Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Are PC gamers really insecure? That's the only justification I can think of for such a dumb video. Talk about how much more hardcore and sophisticated you are all you want, but something else you might've wanted to added that PC gamers are far, far, far more likely to steal their games.