October's FIFA 23 Out Of Position campaign made excellent use of a welcome Ultimate Team innovation. Rather than shunting cards up and down the pitch, in FIFA 23 you can only use Position Modifier items to move a player to his real-life alternate. This promo, then, saw popular stars switched to fresh roles, with Mo Salah and Joao Cancelo among those to receive swish cards. All is explained in your FIFA 23 Out Of Position guide.
What is FIFA 23 Out Of Position?
This is one of the easier FIFA 23 campaigns to explain. For this year’s game, EA changed the positioning system so that you could no longer move players up and down the field (for instance CDM > CM > CAM > CF > ST). Players can now only be switched to their real-life secondary positions – unless they’ve been given a FIFA 23 Out Of Position card. These move them to new primary roles, and surprise alternate ones too. So Chelsea’s Reece James gets an 88-rated RW card, which can also be deployed at RM or ST with a Position Modifier item.
Want to use James in this usual right-back slot? Then you need his standard gold item instead. (You can see the best of those in our FIFA 23 ratings guide.)
Who is in FIFA 23 Out Of Position Team 1?
Reece James isn’t the only Premier League player to score a FIFA 23 Out Of Position card. Indeed, Mo Salah is arguably the most enticing of all. Liverpool’s attacking talisman gets a 92-rated ST card which can also be utilised at LW or CF. Manchester City defender Joao Cancelo switches to CM (or CDM, or RWB) with an OVR of 90, while Fred (Manchester United, 87) and Ivan Perisic (Tottenham, 86) get fresh items too.
Away from the EPL, AC Milan’s Theo Hernandez scores the top-rated item. His 88-rated LW card can also be changed to LM, ST, or RW.
The full set of FIFA 23 Out Of Position cards, along with their possible positions, can be found at the foot of this guide.
Is there a FIFA 23 Out Of Position Team 2 leak?
Nope. All eyes were on Friday, November 4 for FIFA 23 Out Of Position Team 2 – but instead EA announced that new OOP cards would land across the season, rather than drop in a single week. Instead, the focus in November and December shifts to World Cup tie-in content. It's also worth researching your FIFA 23 Icons, as the first set of Icon Swaps seem locked in for the Christmas period, once the big event in Qatar is out of the way.
What about a FIFA 23 Out Of Position SBC?
Yep - there were two initial Out Of Position Squad Building Challenges, AKA SBCs. The most intriguing gave you a choice of Ross Barkley cards. The Nice man receives a new rating of 86, with one item placed at RW, and the other at ST. To score it you needed to submit three squads, which cost around 105,000 coins in total. Sadly, the SBC has now expired.
The other initial SBC was for an 87-rated Federico Chiesa card, with the Juve wideman newly deployed at LW. Additionally, there was a set of in-game objectives which, when completed, earned you an 84-rated Samuel Chukwueze item. Villarreal’s Nigerian import is newly minted at LW. Need to up your play in order to complete future objectives? Use GR’s FIFA 23 skill moves guide.
Where can I see a list of all FIFA 23 Out Of Position cards?
The list below covers all FIFA 23 Out Of Position cards as of Thursday, December 15.
- Mohamed Salah (ST, CF, LW / Liverpool) - 92
- Joao Cancelo (CM, RWB, CDM / Manchester City) - 90
- Theo Hernandez (LW, LM, RW, ST / AC Milan) - 88
- Reece James (RW, RM, ST / Chelsea) - 88
- Federico Chiesa (RW, RM, CAM / Juventus) - 87 [SBC only]
- Fred (LM, CF, LW / Manchester United) - 87
- Mauro Icardi (LW, LM, CAM / Galatasaray) - 87 [SBC only]
- Ansu Fati (ST, CF / Barcelona) - 87 [SBC only]
- Ivan Perisic (CAM, RB, RM, RW / Tottenham) - 86
- Seko Fofana (CB, LB, CDM / RC Lens) - 86
- Ross Barkley (ST, CF / OGC Nice) - 86 [SBC only]
- Ross Barkley (RW, RM, LM, LW / OGC Nice) - 86 [SBC only]
- Hamari Traore (CDM, RM, RW / Rennes) - 86
- Domenico Berardi (CF, CM, CAM, ST / Sassuolo) - 86
- Oleksandr Zinchenko (CM, CDM / Arsenal) - 86 [SBC only]
- Callum Hudson-Odoi (LWB, LB / Bayer Leverkusen) - 85 [Objectives only]
- Denzel Dumfries (CB. CDM / Inter Milan) - 85
- Lucas Vazquez (CAM, CDM, CM / Real Madrid) - 85
- Suso (CM, CAM, LW / Sevilla) - 84
- Noussair Mazraoui (RM, RW / Bayern Munich) - 84
- Samuel Chukwueze (LW, LM / Villarreal) - 84 [Objectives only]
- Isaak Toure (ST, CF / Marseille) - 83
- Djibril Sow (RB, RWB, CB / Frankfurt) - 83