Topics

Best of GR

• brickman409 - July 13, 2013 2:48 p.m.

where did you get that high resolution fallout 2 picture? I'm guessing it's fan made
  • taokaka - July 13, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Good list, I think you covered the ones most people think of. Just some others I think are at least worth an honorable mention include the world ends with you, professor layton and the lost future, 999, valkyria chronicles, journey, flower and asura's wrath (not particularly deep or artistic but bloody enjoyable nevertheless). One of my other all time favourite stories are the ones in the blazblue games, their is so much amazingness in them but unfortunately it is hidden inside the fort knox of confusing exposition.
  • forestfire55 - July 13, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Just a couple things i would change, first, switch fallout 2 for 3. Fallout 2 was a very good game, but it just doesnt have the emotions you feel in fallout 3. And also, no portal 2, portal is one the best puzzle games of all time, but no body plays it for the story, that consists of a lovable, silent protagonist that has no personality whatsoever.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Actually, TONS of people played Portal for the story, and even more played Portal 2 for this same reason. I should know, I'm one of them. No one has ever claimed that Portal 2's story was good because of Chell. It's good because of Glados, Wheatley, Cave Johnson, and all the story behind the rise and fall of aperture science, which is told trough both on dialogue and also hidden thorough details in the world. Also, no offense, but I get the sense that you haven't even played Portal 2. And if you haven't, why are you judging it?
  • kezins - July 13, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Interesting topic, but there were quite a few omissions in this list that I assumed would be there. I definitely wouldn't have included stuff like The Last if Us. The story started really strong in the game, but fell apart by the weak ending.
  • forestfire55 - July 13, 2013 11:02 a.m.

You think so? I thought it was a beautiful ending that peaced together the theams of the game as a whole and further expresses the progression of both Joel and Elie. It was a true ending that no game before it has even touched in terms of emotions.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 5:06 p.m.

The ending was actually what made the game's story transcend form just a "very good story" to one that is definitely one of the boldest, best stories ever told in gaming. I would invite you to elaborate why would you think the ending is weak however. Because honestly, as it stands, one might just assume that it's because you're one of those people that either wanted a more conventional ending, or didn't get what the game was trying to convey.
  • Clovin64 - July 13, 2013 8:46 a.m.

I spent this whole list asking myself, "where the fuck is Silent Hill 2?" then I reached the end... well done GR! I played over the Silent Hill games a few weeks back for old times sake, and i'm still convinced that SH2 has the best narrative in any game. I had tears in my eyes when you hear Mary reading out her letter to James at the end. As for some other points. I'm sad that Deus Ex: Human Revolution wasnt mentioned, and FFVI deserves to be much higher on this list. As for Mass Effect 2, I feel that ME2 had the weakest main narrative in the trilogy, but the characters and their brilliant backstories and personalities were the real focus of the story, so I'll happily let that one slide.
  • Asphodel - July 13, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Ffs Gamesradar, sorry but I am actually laughing at you here! This will always be a parody list until Legacy of Kain is in there!
  • Riska - July 13, 2013 4:06 a.m.

It's certainly an interesting list, a lot of old favourites in there. I find it strangely OK that it doesn't match my own favourites as I understand the reasons these games were chosen. I think I was 14/15 when I played Silent Hill 2 so I suspect a lot of the finer subtleties of the plot were lost on me. L.A.Noire I really don't agree with, especially when Deus Ex is nowhere to be seen. However, you didn't include Zelda so I can live with this list. Games I know I need to play (or play again): Chrono Trigger, FF6, Planescape Torment, Persona 4, Spec Ops: The Line, Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hill 2
  • cgriff63 - July 13, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I was just gonna say that either Deus Ex or Deus Ex: Human Revolution belong on this list.
  • Riska - July 14, 2013 2:46 a.m.

Agreed, both of them do in fairness.
  • Fireborn - July 13, 2013 3:53 a.m.

People saying that CT shouldnt be on this list are failing to see why that game´s story is so great even for today, even if the game revolves around time-travel, it manages to have a plot and characters that become more interesting and meaningful than time travel itself, because like it was said already by GR. Some things just dont ever change, no matter the era or time and this game just shows that perfectly.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 8:08 a.m.

How exactly does the characters become more interesting? same with the plot? The overall plot and goal stays exactly the same as soon as you find who who Lavos is and what it will do to the world. And Unless you take the very optional sidequests presented at the VERY end of the game, ALL of the characters remain very one dimensional trough the entire main plot of the game. Lucca Likes Machines, Marle is a cheerful but strong spirited tomboy, Frog is a shakesperean-like knight with an old fashioned sense of honor, Ayla is strong and likes strong things, Robo... well, robo likes humanity I guess? But you never really see them being developed as anything little more than that trough the game's plot. And that it's a flaw of the game's design in itself. Because it always forces you to have only 2 characters at any given situation, while the rest blink out of existence for that scenario and can't participate. But because you always choose who is in your party, no character, they had to make it so every character could say something in every point of the game, but not do anything important that required them to be there because there is a high change you might not have chosen them. Thus, the plot AND characters both suffer because of this, and no, the do not in fact get more interesting. And again, the message of "things jsut never change"? Is a very shallow, obvious one. And if nothing else, it's a message FAR better, and more intelligently conveyed in say, Bioshock Infinite than how it is done in this game.
  • colin-odonnell - July 13, 2013 3:23 a.m.

Bioshock 2 "innovative narrative devices, such as the audio-logs" probably more innovative when he did it in System Shock 2 back in 1999. Less so in 2007
  • Fireborn - July 13, 2013 3:21 a.m.

Ugh i hate how GR´s lists are never completely wrong but still manage to annoy me somehow, Why no Dragon Age: Origins? Also Hotel Dusk Room 215 really should be on this list, that game created very interesting characters that are very hard to forget and actually felt like humans and not like something straight of a modern TV show or a movie like most gritty or "realistic" games do. IMO Silent Hill 2 is the prime example that games can have good mature stories and original characters on their own, glad that one made it here.
  • mothbanquet - July 13, 2013 2:18 a.m.

I mostly agree with this list, with the exception of FFVI and ME2. Mind you, many of the story analyses on this list seem to be focused on characters, not the actual story of the games themselves... ME2 did a good job making the player invest themselves emotionally in the experience but it was entirely down to the characters (and even then, that was down to the sterling job the first game did in introducing them), not the plot. I distinctly remember coming away disappointed, thinking there surely had to be 4 games in the saga, because ME2 didn't offer nearly enough exposition in relation to the first one to be a middle-segment of the overall story. And while I can certainly understand certain aspects of FFVI's story to be superior, I found Kefka to be overly-cartoonish and frankly quite annoying, with nary a glimpse of his true motivations throughout the game. I'm firmly in the FFVII camp on this one, simply because it enthralled me from start to finish like few other stories have in any medium.
  • Arobadope - July 13, 2013 5:52 a.m.

FF7, there's your problem right there.
  • mothbanquet - July 13, 2013 6:13 a.m.

A problem...how?