The hoops have it as NBA 2K13 led the NPD Group's U.S. retail sales figures for October 2012. The analyst firm revealed results for retail sales of games, hardware, and accessories over the last month--and here's your monthly reminder right up top that, though the results are an industry standard, they do not include digital purchases.
That bothersome fact is readily apparent when considering the NPD's results for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which measured only 114,000 units sold in its launch month, according to Game Informer. Twisted Pixel lead designer Dan Teasdale observed on Twitter that game had 70,000 concurrent players just on Steam the weekend after its launch. So, several grains of salt are advised, particularly for games with strong digital support.
Other than NBA 2K13 at the one spot, new entrants included Resident Evil 6 at No. 2, Dishonored at No. 4, and Pokemon Black and White Version 2 making a Corvo sandwich at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively (Dishonored sold 460,000). Always bet on black, we guess.
Overall, industry sales dropped 25 percent year over year, taking in $755.5 million compared to $1 billion in October 2011 (that's when Battlefield 3 and Batman: Arkham City graced shelves). Once again accessories were the only segment to show minor growth, thanks in large part to impressive sales of Skylanders action figures and digital currency gift cards. Skylanders Giants' software sold 160 percent more than the original Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure did in its debut month.
The NPD pointed out that increasing console sales from September indicate the gaming industry is, in fact, picking up momentum for the holidays.
October 2012 Top 10 Games
1. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC) Take Two Interactive
2. Resident Evil 6 (360, PS3) Capcom
3. Pokemon Black Version 2 (NDS) Nintendo
4. Dishonored (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks
5. Pokemon White Version 2 (NDS) Nintendo
6. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV) Electronic Arts
7. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, PSP) Electronic Arts
8. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
9. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC) Take-Two Interactive
10. Skylander Giants (Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS) Activision Blizzard