In Pokemon Go, Smeargle is the last remaining Pokemon from Gen 2 to be released. So it's finally here and you're probably wondering how to to get Smeargle in Pokemon Go. You're going to need to utilise the new Snapshot Camera because man, that guy loves photobombing. Here's everything you need to know about how to catch Smeargle in Pokemon Go.
Pokemon Go trading guide | How to catch a ditto in Pokemon Go | How to catch a Spinda in Pokemon Go | How to catch Celebi in Pokemon Go | How to catch Pokemon Go Legendaries | Pokemon Go Special Items guide | Pokemon Go shiny list - Every shiny you can catch in Pokemon Go | How Pokemon Go Sinnoh Stones work | How to change team in Pokemon Go| Everything you need to know about the next Pokemon Go Community Day | All the current Pokemon Go raids
How to catch Smeargle in Pokemon Go
Catching Smeargle in Pokemon Go involves using the brand new Snapshot Mode feature introduced just a few days ago. Once you take a photo of one of your beloved Pokemon, there's a chance to get Smeargle photobomb it like the crazy canine it is. Here are the steps you need to take to catch a Pokemon Go Smeargle:
- Navigate to your items and select the Camera followed by any Pokemon, or pick the Pokemon of your choosing then select the camera icon in the top right corner
- Take some pictures of your chosen Pokemon, then exit the Camera mode
- When navigating through your photos in the menu with the yellow background, Smeargle may have photobombed it
- If Smeargle isn't in any of your photos, repeat steps 1-3
- If Smeargle is in a photo, simply exit out and Smeargle will appear as a wild Pokemon in the world around you
- Tap on it and you'll be taken to the normal catching process for a wild Pokemon
That's all there is to it! Here's what Smeargle will look like when photobombing your captured images.
Tips to get Smeargle in Pokemon Go
There are some aspects to consider when trying to catch Smeargle in Pokemon Go:
- You can only catch one Smeargle per day - this resets at midnight local time, not 24 hours after catching the last Smeargle
- The Pokemon you take a photo of doesn't influence the chance of Smeargle appearing
- We don't know the exact chance of Smeargle showing up, so simply rinse and repeat the above steps until it does
- Smeargle's moveset will be copied from the Pokemon in the photo, so consider using stronger Pokemon if you want to use Smeargle in battle
- Smeargle cannot copy Transform from Ditto, nor can it learn two Charged moves
- Catching Smeargle contributes to the new Cameraman badge
- Smeargle will stay in the wild for an hour before disappearing
- Smeargle can appear in a photo of another Smeargle
- Smeargle can run away from you, so throw some Razz Berries if it's your first one
Thanks to everyone over on TheSilphRoad subreddit for confirmation on these points!