• ross_drew - January 11, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Aw what?! The Sensible themes never made it in? http://soundcloud.com/ross-drew
  • mrmorozov987 - June 10, 2010 9:43 p.m.

I can't believe you missed Doom. Doom! Blasting demons in the face wouldn't have been half as fun without the ear-splitting 90's hard rock.
  • Imgema - May 18, 2010 11:33 p.m.

I would add F-Zero X. Why? Because, it has death metal music in it. Complete with nonsensical distorted vocals (listen to Devil's Forest theme). But that's not the only reason... The other reason is that its for Nintendo for Christ sake! You would never expect a soundtrack like that from a Nintendo developed game and of course you will NEVER see another one, ever again.
  • arahman56 - February 27, 2010 12:04 a.m.

What? No love for Monty on the Run's theme? Unless you're told, you wouldn't even think that it's from a Commodore 64 game.
  • Fat - May 14, 2009 1:53 a.m.

I thoroughly remember the Donkey Kong ambient theme. I remember playing this game so long ago, I even remember that level being a pain in the ass. Aaahh, nostalgia.
  • LionheartAce - May 4, 2009 3:06 p.m.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl OST is a beast, I crapped my pants at most all of the songs.
  • dland - May 4, 2009 12:46 a.m.

Good job Brett!! You did a fine article, and you are the master of VG music. I bow to you.
  • Kang81 - May 3, 2009 1:17 a.m.

Hands down, the music from the Donkey Kong Country series has the best scores ever! Aquatic Ambiance for the win...only the best video game song ever made, imo. Now if I could only find a way to take that track from my iPhone and turn it into a ring tone.
  • theatticusera - May 2, 2009 9:12 p.m.

Sonic rush is one of the best platormers ever :)
  • Red - May 2, 2009 12:39 a.m.

Gotta raise my hand here and say that I still listen to the music from Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future occasionally.
  • sharker - May 1, 2009 1:19 a.m.

wait, i don't know what i'm talking about
  • iluvmyDS - April 30, 2009 1:35 a.m.

Loved all the selections. Hopefully we'll hear these on the podcast.
  • PCG_Evan - April 29, 2009 5:23 p.m.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Earthworm Jim, DOOM, and a hojillion other PC games would've qualified well for this, too.
  • BenitoMasterSystem - April 29, 2009 3:50 p.m.

How come a karate chopping, fu manchu moustache wearing giant onion doesn't get any shit for a gong sound effect, but TDar had to retire theirs?!?! Injustice if ever there was one.
  • Xplosive59 - April 29, 2009 3:41 p.m.

WOOT sound garden Fear factory DK is not any indication to the industrial death metal band Fear Factory REcaptcha: Castrate large (dont hurt me)
  • RedOutlive10 - April 29, 2009 1:55 p.m.

Definitely yes for Metal Gear Solid's Encounter. Made boss battles unforgettable.
  • dustLOOP - April 29, 2009 11:32 a.m.

What about Castlevania SOTN - Lost Paintings?! That track orchestral-wise in the game ost world is light years ahead of its time. Well I think so anyway :D
  • G0LFK4RT - April 29, 2009 10:54 a.m.

My favourite ones on this list are Castlevania III, Silver Surfer, and MGS. I actually don't like the Megaman soundtrack that much, but I really really like the Megaman 2 soundtrack. Dr Wily Stage 1 FTW. ReCaptcha: Yellowed Especially
  • sprog - April 29, 2009 10:19 a.m.

First of all, an absolutely cracking article! It was good to see FF6's theme in there, that games had music that provoked the rare (at the time) feeling that you weren't just playing a game, you were following an epic and well crafted story. If I had to add anything to the list I'd have to say Thunder Force IV - those riffs were amazing -, FF7's One Winged Angel - an entire choir assembled for one last boss theme? Crazy! - and I always loved the Pyramid Head boss music at the end of SH2, horrifing and beautiful at the same time with such despairing, tragic air.
  • FistfulofPelican - April 29, 2009 8:55 a.m.

10/10 for including UmJammer Lammy music!