* Willem Dafoe has joined the cast of John Carter Of Mars, according to Variety . He joins Taylor Kitsch (in the title role) and Lynn Collins in the Andrew (WALL-E) Stanton-directed live action SF fantasy based on the pulp novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Dafoe will play Tars Tarkas, a fierce, green Martian warrior with the unusual ability (for his race) to love. Tars Tarkas features in all the Carter novels, so presumably Dafoe has signed a contract which includes the option for sequels.
* Coming Soon has a pic of Scarlett Johannson as the Black Widow – but don’t get too excited. It's a screen capture from TV of the cover of this Friday’s Entertainment Weekly, so it's a bit fuzzy. On the other hand, as the site points out, from Friday expect the pic to be everywhere (and presumably EW will have more pics inside). Update Latino Review has another (equally blurry) pic of Black Widow.
* Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince grossed a record-breaking $22.2 million in midnight releases in North America. beatig the $18 million midnight record set last summer by The Dark Knight, reports Variety .
* If anybody cares, NBC has pulled the plug on the dullest telefantasy series in a long while, The Listener, according to Variety . It’ll be interesting to see if there's a campaign to get this one reinstated. Actually, no it won’t.
* Boom! Studios has provided Shock Till You Drop with the first few nine of the graphic novel of upcoming horror movie Jennifer’s Body. With a script by Juno’s Diablo Cody, it‘s the story of a high school cheerleader (Megan Fox), screwed over by a visiting rock band, who becomes possessed by a demon and begins to feed off of the teenage boys in her town. The film is released in the States in September.