Skip to main content

Harrison Ford's advice for young Han Solo hopefuls? "Don't do it!"

The man who first played Corellian rogue Han Solo is offering advice to whoever takes on the role in the upcoming spin-off. Harrison Ford spoke out on the Ellen Show, where he also let slip a major spoiler concerning his character's involvement in The Force Awakens. Take this as your spoiler warning: don't proceed unless you've seen the movie!

Still with us? Okay. Here's Ford's advice. "Don't do it," he said in jest, referring to Solo's fate. "First, it seems like everything's going swimmingly, and you put in 25, 30 years, and then just, they just let you go. And they show you the door: 'We're done with you, thank you very much.' "

Originally, around 2500 actors submitted videotapes or auditioned in person for the part of young Han, which Ford says made him feel "flattered." That massive number has now been whittled down (opens in new tab), with Alden Ehrenreich (Hail Caesar!), Taron Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service, Eddie the Eagle), Emory Cohen (Brooklyn), Blake Jenner (Everybody Wants Some), and Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction) sitting at the top of the pile.

However, Egerton recently said (opens in new tab) he's not even been contacted by Lucasfilm, while Reynor 'fessed up to having previously auditioned. So it's anybody's guess how accurate the list actually is. My money's on Egerton. He's playing it coy already - just like Solo would.

Directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller and written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan, the untitled Han Solo spin-off opens on May 25, 2017.

Images: Lucasfilm

Gem Seddon is GamesRadar+'s west coast Entertainment News Reporter, working to keep all of you updated on all of the latest and greatest movies and shows on streaming platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Outside of entertainment journalism, Gem can frequently be found writing about the alternative health and wellness industry, and obsessing over all things Aliens and Terminator on Twitter.