Topics

Best of GR

• Nightstalker435 - July 22, 2014 8:31 p.m.

Legend of Zelda game?! Oh come on! Some of the Legend of Zelda games have great stories that could easily top some of these games. I am not trying to be a fanboy but Legend of Zelda fans can agree with me that one of the games should have been on this list.
  • Mr.Hahn - December 4, 2014 3:20 a.m.

Thank you! Ocerina of Time, Majora's Mask Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are amazing and all incredibly told stories (lest we forget Sheik). The only games I've played with as good of stories are the Mass Effect titles and it may just be because of Martin Sheen's performance as The Illusive Man
  • Therealcookie - July 21, 2014 2:48 p.m.

I can't believe you seriously put Portal2 over bioshock infinite... I mean... I enjoyed playing the Portal series, in fact they count to my favorite games. Partially for the story line, yes, but mostly for its gameplay... the Bioshock series for example was one I loved for the story (yes even Bioshock2 ^^) maybe you should overthink that...
  • LegionOfBoom - December 24, 2014 5:44 p.m.

don't sweat it. anybody who puts portal2 ahead of anything else doesn't understand their own vote.
  • token57634 - June 18, 2014 7:47 p.m.

The person that included LA Noire clearly didn't play the game to completion. The story was pretty good until they completely flip everything you think you know about Cole with some weird contrived war story. For me, it really fell apart the last couple hours in terms of story.
  • cobra0528 - September 9, 2014 4:35 p.m.

Interesting that you say it started off well. I played for hours and was so yearning for even a glimpse of something that I could call a storyline. I learned absolutely nothing about Cole in the time I played and nothing was presented to me, both in terms of story and gameplay, that gave me any reason to continue playing. I did, however, read about the ending to see where the game ended up and man are you spot on about that. That flip at the end wasn't smart, controversial or heart-wrenching. You finally learn a minimal detail about Cole and then.... well you know. Certainly glad I didn't waste more time than necessary on that one. My wallet was still sad about the experience though.
  • LegionOfBoom - December 24, 2014 5:45 p.m.

who gives a f about "story?" and, wtf, does that have to do with gameplay?
  • sephex - June 11, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Final Fantasy VI is so low.
  • theagonizer - June 8, 2014 4:29 p.m.

For people who are interested in the stories behind these games. I read a great book called this history of video games. Its pretty cool. I wrote a review of it here, if anyone is interested. http://boulderapps.co/review-of-the-history-of-video-games
  • james-repass - June 4, 2014 7:45 p.m.

Um, Baldur's Gate 2?
  • pseudodragon - July 16, 2014 7:37 a.m.

Yes, it's an awesome game.
  • kevin-roos - August 6, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Agreed, great story
  • matttch31 - May 30, 2014 5:30 p.m.

was a little surprised Final Fantasy 7 wasn't on the list. for all the game's faults, it had an epic story in a very cool setting with by far the most memorable characters of the series. it doesn't get better than Sephiroth imo. & though it's a bit uneven & incoherent (to some people) Xenogears' story was remarkable in its weirdness & sheer scope. & while i love both games, Bioshock Infinite, to me, had a much better story than Bioshock, it actually made you FEEL while the first one was really interesting & well told but sort of sterile when it came to emotional resonance. let's be honest though, the Mass Effect Trilogy deserves the #1 spot (though i haven't played Silent Hill 2 i just can't imagine its story being better than ME)
  • johndoe1337 - May 31, 2014 2:01 a.m.

damn straight, did u play the citadel dlc?
  • johndoe1337 - May 23, 2014 7:16 p.m.

The number 1 spot should have just been the entire mass effect series, I don't care what you think of the mass effect 3 ending, you can't deny how you felt at the end of the citadel dlc after the party, when everyone's stood at the Normandy, whoever it is that says we had a good run, we all loved shepard replying "the best" and going back to work. You can't deny that feeling.
  • slaggz - May 21, 2014 5:22 p.m.

I don't think The Walking Dead should have placed so high or not at all. I don't feel like a game based on an existing story/IP constitutes as a great video game story. I would be like having Batman Arkham City up there.
  • cobra0528 - September 9, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Not so sure about that. Especially with a creator (Telltale Games) that thrives on expanding existing universes and can easily be welcomed as canon after they demonstrate their ability to do so well. Walking Dead(comic universe), Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. Just because it's not an original universe doesn't mean that the story was lacking.
  • ora-gilbert-hendershot - May 20, 2014 7:31 p.m.

There of course many others, and I truly think the more side stories and adventure you can do is a large part of the story! Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, FF VII, Halo (First One), Crystalis, Super Mario RPG, and countless more that the names elude me, but still plenty more. But the top 30s. No. The list should be more! Just Sayin'!
  • Srtj121 - May 12, 2014 5:18 a.m.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within deserves to be in the list