We Recommend

• TheMasterJeef - November 15, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Personally? Im bitterly disappointed by Skyrim. I would have LOVED to buy and play this game. But having enchanted weapons needing a 'battery change' drives me insane. To the extent I just can’t play this. I only lasted one weekend with Oblivion due to this. Why Bethesda couldn’t have implemented the system from Morrowind, where weapons charge over time, beggars belief. I can’t recall any fantasy literature when the hero has to worry about how many charges his mighty flaming blade has left!! Plus has Bethesda actually made straight stealth a viable play option? In Oblivion straight stealth (no magic, or two handed weapons) was nigh on impossible. Even critical stealth shots from my bow in Oblivion would just irritate bandits, who would then call all their friends over to bludgeon me to death. It seemed to me that you could only really play as warrior, mage or a hybrid of the two. If someone can confirm if this is playable as a straight ranger/thief/assassin type character (including selling stolen items to normal merchants) and that enchanted weapons aren’t a must have, i would love to pick this up. P.S. I am not trolling, or hating Skyrim. It looks a phenomenal game. However there are elements of gameplay that make this unplayable for me.
  • D0CCON - November 16, 2011 3:47 p.m.

The Morrowind way for recharging would have been better, but I personally noticed that recharging was smoother here. Soul gems are everywhere and are sometimes even filled and I got an Axe of Whiterun very early on that was enchanted with soul trap so it was easy for me to get souls (not to mention I got access to a Soul Trap spell sooner. A lady in Solitude sells one). It's also not a requirement. Sure, shooting arrows that electrocute your enemies or something like that is awesome, but it isn't needed to beat the game. Also, I've noticed quite a few more improvements that make stealth actually work. I wear heavy armor and my sneak skill is low, so the enemy finds me a lot, but they are never instantly aware of your location when you attack and new spells and shouts let you trick enemies or set up traps (magic runes are deadly traps and a shout lets you create noise in a specific area causing people to check that area. It's range is huge and you can put it on top of traps). It's also nice that guards aren't instantly aware of your crimes and if you have a crime with witnesses, killing them all before they report you removes your bounty goes away. Bows are also way more powerful and there is a perk that lets sneak attacks with daggers do 15X damage. Combine that with a stronger dagger and you have a weapon that can one hit kill practically any non-boss human if you are stealthy.
  • theycallmegep - November 16, 2011 11:03 p.m.

I played as straight stealth with the difficulty slider at about 65-75% in oblivion, and I'm certainly a fan of the series, I've played all 5 in the main series, plus dabbled in the side games. The charge thing is slightly irritating, and was much better in morrowind, but i think it was added for balance purposes, and regardless, it shouldn't be a deal breaker for the whole game. Anyway, straight stealth is certainly possible, as it has been in oblivion, and morrowind, and is a very easy build if you're an elder scrolls veteran. Enchanted weapons aren't required but its not terribly difficult to charge them. Stolen items cannot be sold to normal merchants but entering the thieves guild is very easy, especially with a stealth build, and the first (and only) fence I've encountered so far has 1000 gold that seems to regenerate just about every day. Overall, the arguments you provided against both oblivion and skyrim seem completely unreasonable to me, i did fine with stealth in oblivion as i am in skyrim, and weapon charge certainly shouldn't be something that significantly affects the overall quality of the game.
  • Crabhand - November 20, 2011 4:01 a.m.

Stealth characters are 100% viable. Early on I had to use a little destruction magic to deal with some tougher enemies, but once I started getting into the mid ranges with bow and stealth I was pretty much able to take on anything without being caught. At higher levels you can completely shut down entire groups of enemies before they can even reach you. And this playstyle was fairly effective in Oblivion, not sure what problems you were having there.
  • sabimosleh - April 14, 2012 3:03 p.m.

would you recommend it to a newbie of the Elder Scrolls games?
  • manto2x - November 23, 2011 6:42 a.m.

dude.. have you tried modding your oblivion... wait for the the construction kit to be released, the wait for the mod related to your interest, ie archery or stealth. in case you haven't try tes nexus for oblivion and skyrim nexus (still new so not so many mod released yet)
  • nikolai-peco-mactavish - October 2, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Look for the shrine of Azura, Maybe get a bound weapon with mystic binding. You'll never run out of souls.
  • PieFlingingNinja - November 15, 2011 11:56 a.m.

You guys probably already know this but, for all you thief/rouge types that prefer dual wielding. Daggers don't use stanima at all, unless you use a charged attack. Plus they don't make as much noise as swords or battle axes, adding to the stealth.
  • D0CCON - November 20, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Isn't it true that swinging any weapon doesn't use stamina unless it's a charge attack (at least one handed weapons don't, I never use two handed).
  • Seishiro - November 20, 2011 2:31 a.m.

I'm assuming it does, but has anyone tested if Armsman and Assassin's Blade stacks, a good dagger... double chanted, with alchemy bonus poison, well... just sounds painful.
  • TheMasterJeef - November 23, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Thanks to everyone who provided comments on my earlier queries. Much appreciated!
  • Gamer_Dude69 - January 6, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Quite possibly one of the best games that i have ever played. My personal favorite race is the nord. There isn't anything wrong with this game at all. Anyone who has anything bad to say about this game has no idea what they are talking about.
  • KungFoo - January 18, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Couldn't agree more. My only problem is that I have a job which gets in the way of more Skyrim
  • nhilton - February 20, 2012 6:29 p.m.

My character keeps turning into a vampire which makes it impossible to go on with the storyline because everyone tries to kill him. How can I fix this?
  • blue_pants - July 28, 2013 11:16 a.m.

nhilton, when you first contract the Vampire disease, in order to get rid of it fast and easy is to go to a shrine of one of the divines and get their blessing, it will cure any and all diseases and give you a perk for a couple of hours.
  • trish-elliott - March 14, 2014 10:56 a.m.

I know one way to get rid of it, You can join the Companions and later on they have you become a werewolf.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 28, 2013 7:05 p.m.

i didnt raelly like skytim. singel player ganes suck and there basecally obselete so i only play games with online mutliplayer
  • FierceVoltage - July 28, 2013 8:24 p.m.

Why is this on the front page?