• Kyo - November 10, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Nice guide, though I find it hard to decide who I should believe in the end.. IGN's guide had this "Tough and hardy, they make great heavy warriors. Their famed battlecry makes them the toughest races" for Nords... You have them as one of the weakest and a light armor class.. what the hell? lol This ruined my entire plan O_O
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Here's the thing, IGN's guide is using the old stats to describe some of the races. This is no longer a factor. Nords are no longer raging beasts full of HP due to having high Stamina. In this they're almost designed to be like Viking Berserker types, wearing light armor so they move quickly with a pair of axes and chop fools to pieces. My Nord is hell on wheels wielding two enchanted Orcish war axes and wearing a set of Scaled Light armor. Battlecry is overrated - all of the abilities are actually. The Shouts are infinitely stronger.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - November 11, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Most of the racial abilities are crap, but for instance I played as a High Elf pure mage and the magicka regen ability was huge during boss fights.
  • BladedFalcon - November 14, 2011 1:43 p.m.

I'd imagine the Adrenaline rush from the Redguards must be pretty cool in some situations as well. That's the race I'm probably gonna pick anyway. Used to be a fan of the Nords and I picked them for both Morrowing and oblivion. But I honestly felt like they ruined them in this game. I mean, not saying they are worthless by any means, but I think they are definitely not as great as they sued to be before. Even ignoring racial abilities, the fact that they have bonus on both one hand and two hand seems a bit redundant, since most people are probably gonna focus on one style anyway.
  • ninjaemperor - November 10, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Damn, this is insane!
  • OD-Apache - November 10, 2011 10:09 p.m.

I missed out on the series as a whole (spare me), so from an absolutely fresh perspective, how much will I miss out on backstory and history if I picked this up? I made the mistakes of playing Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 before their earlier installments, and the thing hardest for me was to grasp the world(s) as a whole. I would constantly ask, "Who the hell are you?" every time I met a seemingly important NPC, or worse yet I wouldn't even have a clue where I was, what country I was in and boundaries the world had. I love back story and history in anything with fantasy, so it's a must. I can only afford a single game until Mass Effect 3, so if I can just jump in on this I'll do it, but if I miss out on so many things that I wouldn't understand half of what I was seeing, I'll get Oblivion. Thoughts?
  • RamenChimera - November 10, 2011 10:39 p.m.

I don't have Skyrim yet, but no Elder Scrolls game has required much backstory. You'll learn the lore in game and all that for what you need to know. The stories of the games connect, but only loosely.. Characters don't carry over or anything. Different countries, different people, different times even. So I don't think it would be a big problem. And come on, it's Skyrim... I'd get it if I were you.
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:24 a.m.

This takes place two hundred years after the last games, no prior knowledge is necessary. Plus the game explains all of the relevant stuff like the Emperors, dragons and basically everything else. If something confuses you there's probably an in game book that explains everything.
  • jack-brannigan - November 11, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Also, read some books in the game. For instance, I picked up a book off some random table called Dragonborns and it gave a short but useful summary of a bunch of stuff: dragons, the definition of dragonborn, Emperors, and how dragonborn was related to them.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - November 11, 2011 12:43 p.m.

You don't need to play Oblivion at all. There are a few offhand references to that game here, but you're not missing anything really.
  • nicholas-aube - November 12, 2011 11:12 a.m.

As far as individual characters it wont be a problem because its an entirely different place. There might be a few minuscule details that that could vaguely suggest something from an earlier game but for the most part it is its own world. If you ask me, not having the previous games would not be a problem at all. But hey, the other games are still fun if you want to play something old school.
  • rob619 - November 11, 2011 7:36 a.m.

I have never played a Skyrim game, this guide will help alot! Thanks alot Gamesradar, you have again read my mind! :)
  • JonnyJon - November 11, 2011 8:09 p.m.

I have no idea what this game is about. But i really wanna play it because everyone says its gunna be amazing. It looks really complicated though, i was never really a fan of rpg's. Ill probably buy it sometime soon.
  • lime2149 - November 12, 2011 1:02 p.m.

I busted into this game knowing i was going to be a khajiit with a axe and a flame. reading this makes me feel idiotic
  • Mamudo - November 13, 2011 7:59 p.m.

A well written guide with some useful tips. I NEED to get my hands on Skyrim soon.
  • TheMasterJeef - November 15, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Personally? Im bitterly disappointed by Skyrim. I would have LOVED to buy and play this game. But having enchanted weapons needing a 'battery change' drives me insane. To the extent I just can’t play this. I only lasted one weekend with Oblivion due to this. Why Bethesda couldn’t have implemented the system from Morrowind, where weapons charge over time, beggars belief. I can’t recall any fantasy literature when the hero has to worry about how many charges his mighty flaming blade has left!! Plus has Bethesda actually made straight stealth a viable play option? In Oblivion straight stealth (no magic, or two handed weapons) was nigh on impossible. Even critical stealth shots from my bow in Oblivion would just irritate bandits, who would then call all their friends over to bludgeon me to death. It seemed to me that you could only really play as warrior, mage or a hybrid of the two. If someone can confirm if this is playable as a straight ranger/thief/assassin type character (including selling stolen items to normal merchants) and that enchanted weapons aren’t a must have, i would love to pick this up. P.S. I am not trolling, or hating Skyrim. It looks a phenomenal game. However there are elements of gameplay that make this unplayable for me.
  • Mr.Bobicus - November 15, 2011 10:36 a.m.

I think not playing this game because of the "charge" is a big mistake, I personally love it. I agree, I was a bit annoyed at first, but you can recharge them I believe. I'm also a (more or less) straight up Wood Elf stealth ranger, and it has worked well so far, although I dabble in one-handed swords and destruction magic (trolls are a nightmare without fire magic).
  • TheMasterJeef - November 15, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Thanks for clarifying that Mr Bobicus, seems your pretty much playing the sort of character I would (including the race). Its not so much the charges, as recharging it. I remember the cost (in gold) being quite steep, that or having to level up magic to cast soul trap & cart round shed loads of soul stones. Plus casting soul trap on someone before trying to backstab/shoot them in the eye kind of removed my stealth advantage. Does anyone know if soul trapping or paying for recharges is handled better in Skyrim?
  • Hobojedi - November 15, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Simple - give your companion a weapon enchanted with the soul tap ability along with your empty soul gems. Then, let your companion get a little damage near the end of the fight and watch the gems fill up with soul-juice.
  • TheMasterJeef - November 16, 2011 4:36 a.m.

Hmmmm. Thats something I never thought of. Thanks. I may pick up a used copy in the new year. I have Battlefield 3, Arkham City, and AC: Revelations to occupy me until then!
  • Y2Ken - November 21, 2011 3:11 a.m.

Don't worry too much about having to recharge - you find the gems needed for it almost constantly, it really shouldn't be an issue. And yes stealth is completely viable, a friend of mine is almost all bow and dagger stealth and he's had no real trouble. Even against Dragons his archery pulls him through, especially if you're going to be enchanting your bows.
  • blue_pants - July 28, 2013 11:34 a.m.

TheMasterJeef, I have been pretty much every single type of character one can imagine. Including a Ranger/Thief type. But what I am trying to say is that it is very easy to refill your enchanted weapons if you do these very simple things. Level up your sneak to around 35-40, and select the bow perk which gives your sneak attack with the bow x3 damage. Then if you haven't already report to the Jarl of Whiterun and tell him about the dragon attack in Helgen. He will then point you in the direction of his court wizard. Farengar (the Court Wizard) will send you on a quest to Bleak Falls Barrow to collect the dragon stone. When you have the dragon stone after collecting the word of power and killing the Dragur, loot the Dragur and you will find the Dragon Stone. Then return to Dragonsreach and give the Stone to Farengar . After that Erileth will run into the Laboratory, telling Farengar to come with her. Follow them and listen to the guard's story about the dragon. Talk to the Jarl and he will give you an enchanted item and tell you to go kill the dragon who is located at the western watchtower. After killing the dragon fast travel back to Whiterun and go report to the Jarl on your success. He will then give you the Axe of Whiterun (and if he doesn't just load the autosave which sais that you entered Dragonsreach). Which usually has Soul Trap enchanted on it. When you get it go back to Farengar's Laboratory and disenchant it. Then if you dont have a Petty Soul Gem yet with a Petty Soul in it, buy one from Farengar. (They are relatively cheap.) Then enchant your bow with it using the Petty Soul Gem and make sure the enchantment says, "If a target dies within 1 second it fills a soul gem." After that is done you are ready to run around Skyrim sneak attacking weaker creatures with it and fillgin up all your soul gems. I would not recommend though attacking more difficult creatures until your Archery skill is pretty high up there. Around the 45-50 range. And there you have it, all you need to know on how to fill soul gems effectively.