• TheMasterJeef - November 15, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Personally? Im bitterly disappointed by Skyrim. I would have LOVED to buy and play this game. But having enchanted weapons needing a 'battery change' drives me insane. To the extent I just can’t play this. I only lasted one weekend with Oblivion due to this. Why Bethesda couldn’t have implemented the system from Morrowind, where weapons charge over time, beggars belief. I can’t recall any fantasy literature when the hero has to worry about how many charges his mighty flaming blade has left!! Plus has Bethesda actually made straight stealth a viable play option? In Oblivion straight stealth (no magic, or two handed weapons) was nigh on impossible. Even critical stealth shots from my bow in Oblivion would just irritate bandits, who would then call all their friends over to bludgeon me to death. It seemed to me that you could only really play as warrior, mage or a hybrid of the two. If someone can confirm if this is playable as a straight ranger/thief/assassin type character (including selling stolen items to normal merchants) and that enchanted weapons aren’t a must have, i would love to pick this up. P.S. I am not trolling, or hating Skyrim. It looks a phenomenal game. However there are elements of gameplay that make this unplayable for me.
  • theycallmegep - November 16, 2011 11:03 p.m.

I played as straight stealth with the difficulty slider at about 65-75% in oblivion, and I'm certainly a fan of the series, I've played all 5 in the main series, plus dabbled in the side games. The charge thing is slightly irritating, and was much better in morrowind, but i think it was added for balance purposes, and regardless, it shouldn't be a deal breaker for the whole game. Anyway, straight stealth is certainly possible, as it has been in oblivion, and morrowind, and is a very easy build if you're an elder scrolls veteran. Enchanted weapons aren't required but its not terribly difficult to charge them. Stolen items cannot be sold to normal merchants but entering the thieves guild is very easy, especially with a stealth build, and the first (and only) fence I've encountered so far has 1000 gold that seems to regenerate just about every day. Overall, the arguments you provided against both oblivion and skyrim seem completely unreasonable to me, i did fine with stealth in oblivion as i am in skyrim, and weapon charge certainly shouldn't be something that significantly affects the overall quality of the game.
  • Crabhand - November 20, 2011 4:01 a.m.

Stealth characters are 100% viable. Early on I had to use a little destruction magic to deal with some tougher enemies, but once I started getting into the mid ranges with bow and stealth I was pretty much able to take on anything without being caught. At higher levels you can completely shut down entire groups of enemies before they can even reach you. And this playstyle was fairly effective in Oblivion, not sure what problems you were having there.
  • sabimosleh - April 14, 2012 3:03 p.m.

would you recommend it to a newbie of the Elder Scrolls games?
  • manto2x - November 23, 2011 6:42 a.m.

dude.. have you tried modding your oblivion... wait for the the construction kit to be released, the wait for the mod related to your interest, ie archery or stealth. in case you haven't try tes nexus for oblivion and skyrim nexus (still new so not so many mod released yet)
  • nikolai-peco-mactavish - October 2, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Look for the shrine of Azura, Maybe get a bound weapon with mystic binding. You'll never run out of souls.
  • Mamudo - November 13, 2011 7:59 p.m.

A well written guide with some useful tips. I NEED to get my hands on Skyrim soon.
  • lime2149 - November 12, 2011 1:02 p.m.

I busted into this game knowing i was going to be a khajiit with a axe and a flame. reading this makes me feel idiotic
  • JonnyJon - November 11, 2011 8:09 p.m.

I have no idea what this game is about. But i really wanna play it because everyone says its gunna be amazing. It looks really complicated though, i was never really a fan of rpg's. Ill probably buy it sometime soon.
  • rob619 - November 11, 2011 7:36 a.m.

I have never played a Skyrim game, this guide will help alot! Thanks alot Gamesradar, you have again read my mind! :)
  • OD-Apache - November 10, 2011 10:09 p.m.

I missed out on the series as a whole (spare me), so from an absolutely fresh perspective, how much will I miss out on backstory and history if I picked this up? I made the mistakes of playing Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 before their earlier installments, and the thing hardest for me was to grasp the world(s) as a whole. I would constantly ask, "Who the hell are you?" every time I met a seemingly important NPC, or worse yet I wouldn't even have a clue where I was, what country I was in and boundaries the world had. I love back story and history in anything with fantasy, so it's a must. I can only afford a single game until Mass Effect 3, so if I can just jump in on this I'll do it, but if I miss out on so many things that I wouldn't understand half of what I was seeing, I'll get Oblivion. Thoughts?
  • RamenChimera - November 10, 2011 10:39 p.m.

I don't have Skyrim yet, but no Elder Scrolls game has required much backstory. You'll learn the lore in game and all that for what you need to know. The stories of the games connect, but only loosely.. Characters don't carry over or anything. Different countries, different people, different times even. So I don't think it would be a big problem. And come on, it's Skyrim... I'd get it if I were you.
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:24 a.m.

This takes place two hundred years after the last games, no prior knowledge is necessary. Plus the game explains all of the relevant stuff like the Emperors, dragons and basically everything else. If something confuses you there's probably an in game book that explains everything.
  • jack-brannigan - November 11, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Also, read some books in the game. For instance, I picked up a book off some random table called Dragonborns and it gave a short but useful summary of a bunch of stuff: dragons, the definition of dragonborn, Emperors, and how dragonborn was related to them.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - November 11, 2011 12:43 p.m.

You don't need to play Oblivion at all. There are a few offhand references to that game here, but you're not missing anything really.
  • nicholas-aube - November 12, 2011 11:12 a.m.

As far as individual characters it wont be a problem because its an entirely different place. There might be a few minuscule details that that could vaguely suggest something from an earlier game but for the most part it is its own world. If you ask me, not having the previous games would not be a problem at all. But hey, the other games are still fun if you want to play something old school.
  • ninjaemperor - November 10, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Damn, this is insane!
  • Kyo - November 10, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Nice guide, though I find it hard to decide who I should believe in the end.. IGN's guide had this "Tough and hardy, they make great heavy warriors. Their famed battlecry makes them the toughest races" for Nords... You have them as one of the weakest and a light armor class.. what the hell? lol This ruined my entire plan O_O
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Here's the thing, IGN's guide is using the old stats to describe some of the races. This is no longer a factor. Nords are no longer raging beasts full of HP due to having high Stamina. In this they're almost designed to be like Viking Berserker types, wearing light armor so they move quickly with a pair of axes and chop fools to pieces. My Nord is hell on wheels wielding two enchanted Orcish war axes and wearing a set of Scaled Light armor. Battlecry is overrated - all of the abilities are actually. The Shouts are infinitely stronger.
  • Kyo - November 11, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Ha yea I ended up getting the guide because.. well it's beautiful(big damn book) and it pretty much backs up what this guide and you've said. Long story short I wanted heavy armor, made an orc. IGN is sad.