We Recommend

• AyJay - March 20, 2009 6:08 a.m.

i can only think of one secret of mana song that i didnt like, the goblin's theme, god that annoying. the rest of the soundtrack is awesome tho
  • rickybadu - March 20, 2009 6:34 a.m.

ahhhhh! Call of Duty level; Pegasus bridge. Takes ones heart away listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZlMXkzUqI
  • Cernunnos - March 20, 2009 7:34 a.m.

no love for Devil May Cry 3? aww :( i really felt that that music accompanied the game so well.
  • antknee27 - March 20, 2009 7:38 a.m.

Seriously...how is Buck Bumble from the N64 not on here? Right about now it's time to rock wit da bickity buck bumble!
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 20, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Okay, having just listened to it, I can honestly say I did NOT see that Buck Bumble soundtrack coming. :) I can just see the design meeting now: "Right, we've got a garden-based 3D shooter about an cute anthropomorphic bee with a twee name. Music guys, what's your vision?" "Er, we're thinking downtempo D 'n' B and a bit of garage" Genius! We need more game composers who are happy to do weird outside-the-box genre mash-ups like that. It's that sort of thinking that got us Die Hard Trilogy, after all.
  • Poot_evans - March 20, 2009 10:09 a.m.

I was always a big fan of the Kid Icarus opening song. Bit sad really. Was impressed with the jet set grind track. A lot of the other orchestral stuff is pretty immense though less immediate.
  • trevorbelmont - March 20, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Also, don't forget Military Madness for the TG-16 (Neo Nectaris for the PC Engine). The "Axis" music is sick, and a great early example of a dynamically adjusting soundtrack in a strategy game. When you were about to lose, the music really was saying "Nice Job, a$$. You've just killed 2.5 million people."
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 20, 2009 1:48 p.m.

We effers thank you. Really glad you enjoyed it. It was a really enjoyable one to write.
  • Gotxxrock - March 20, 2009 1:56 p.m.

All this music is fun and fantastic (especially Bioshock), but rather than thank the author for compiling such a great catalogue of obscure musical treasures, I'm going to be a little contrarion and complain: Where iss Braid's beautiful Irish folk!? Where's the immersive and powerful soundtrack of Oblivion?! The wacky and random compositions of Banjo Kazooie Nutz and Boltz (and the originals as well)!? Also, the Mega Man 2 theme song for the Game Boy was just epic =D Thanks for the article GR
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 20, 2009 3:54 p.m.

435: So are we. Check this out: http://tiny.cc/Gaqov
  • scbyfn4evr - March 20, 2009 4:26 p.m.

Suikoden, the original one. That is the soundtrack that made me care about video game soundtracks.
  • oryandymackie - March 20, 2009 5:23 p.m.

what about the Evil Dead Regeneartion soundtrack when Ash is in Evil mode, heavy laden guitar. The game itself sucked, but that was a good soundtrack
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 20, 2009 6:01 p.m.

scbyfn4evr: Yeah, you never forget the one that really turned you on to what game music can do. With me it was the Secret of Mana opening theme on Christmas morning 1994. Joe: Yeah, isn't it just? That big fat kick in at 0:55 makes me want to learn to DJ just so that I can drop it on an unsuspecting crowd. They'd have no choice but to love it.
  • Usgo - March 20, 2009 7:11 p.m.

jet set radiooooooooo
  • Gsindahouse - March 20, 2009 8:45 p.m.

You know, if you ever play Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean or Baten Kaitos Origins, that's some tight music! not to mention Sonic Adventure 2 or Mario Party 7 and take my word for it, Super Princess Peach (DS)
  • Morning Ninja - March 20, 2009 10:49 p.m.

Wheres the BLACK OST? It was one of the best vg music I've heard
  • The_Zanger - March 21, 2009 12:27 a.m.

I loved the bioshock. I really wish i could play that game, its sounds fantastic. theres supposed to be a movie coming out for it. should have put in some Okami, that game is amazing and the music is so incredibly. I have it stuck in my head all day
  • sheas93 - March 21, 2009 2:04 a.m.

katamari damaci isnt number 1 because....?
  • splynncryth - March 21, 2009 3:30 a.m.

There are a lot of games with great music, but I don't think this list is supposed to be a rundown for that stuff. Instead, these are games where the soundtrack is either overshadowed, or fits in a sublime way and escapes notice. Since Earthwork Jim gets a mention, what about the special edition CD version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKwbsQjJ9lA
  • gdubbs359 - March 21, 2009 2:33 p.m.

mana is a def. silver surfer, couldnt get far enough in to hear the music. freedom fighters though, forget the music, the whole game was great yet forgotten.