Scott Pilgrim creator has “very little involvement” in the video game re-release
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
The original creator of the Scott Pilgrim comic book series says that a “communication breakdown” meant that he had almost no idea that a re-release of the 2010 video game adaptation was in the works. Speaking with Kotaku after the title’s renewed availability was announced at last night’s Ubisoft Forward, Bryan Lee O’Malley clarified his lack of involvement with the project.
O’Malley says that he assumes Ubisoft has been working on the game for some time, while film distributor Universal Pictures was supposed to let him know the re-release was in the works. Apparently, however, there was a “communication breakdown”, and O’Malley never found out about the project.
The Scott Pilgrim game first released in August 2010, but was delisted on all platforms four years later. In May this year, with the game’s tenth anniversary looming, O’Malley tweeted “bring back the Scott Pilgrim game”, which Ubisoft replied to with a single emoji, which O’Malley says was because “their PR people thought I knew about [the re-release] and was being a tease".
O’Malley didn’t say exactly when he was told about the project, but confirmed that he has “very little involvement” in it, that “none of the original creators are working on the re-release,” and that “I don’t make money off the video game.” He does, however, suggest that a physical release is a possibility, and has previously mentioned conversations with collectibles company iam8bit.
Huge thank you to the fans who never shut up about the Scott Pilgrim game, not once, ever, even for one second to let me sleep. This game belongs to you. Now please get out of my houseSeptember 10, 2020
While the financial compensation offered by the game is minimal, it looks like O’Malley takes this as something of a win for video game longevity in general, tweeting out a “huge thank you to the fans who never shut up about the Scott Pilgrim game.
Here's every game announcement from the latest Ubisoft Forward
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

I'm GamesRadar's Managing Editor for news, shaping the news strategy across the team. I started my journalistic career while getting my degree in English Literature at the University of Warwick, where I also worked as Games Editor on the student newspaper, The Boar. Since then, I've run the news sections at PCGamesN and Kotaku UK, and also regularly contributed to PC Gamer. As you might be able to tell, PC is my platform of choice, so you can regularly find me playing League of Legends or Steam's latest indie hit.


