Guillermo del Toro merely wanted to "tickle the ribs of Konami" with Silent Hill comments
No, the Oscar-winning director wasn't teasing anything
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Guillermo del Toro has clarified his comments at The Game Awards earlier this month, saying he merely intended to "tickle the ribs of Konami."
Earlier this month at The Game Awards in L.A., Oscar-winning director Guillermo del Toro appeared via a pre-recorded message to announce the winner for Best Art Direction. While he was there though, del Toro couldn't resist a sly comment, saying "you know, one franchise I love the art direction in: Silent Hill. I hope we get a new one of those."
This, quite understandably, led to a lot of speculation that del Toro knew something the public didn't with regards to the Silent Hill franchise. However, speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast earlier this week, del Toro shot down any speculation that he had inside information on the goings on at Konami with regards to the Silent Hill series.
"No, not at all," said del Toro, when asked if he was working on any Silent Hill-related projects. "It's just one of those things in my life that makes no sense," the director said, commenting on the cancellation of Silent Hills by Konami. "I kind of just wanted to tickle the ribs of Konami, because I don't understand. That was so perfect, what we were going to do was so enthralling."
Del Toro is obviously still hurting over the cancellation of the collaboration between himself, Metal Gear Solid pioneer Hideo Kojima, and The Walking Dead actor Norman Reedus. It's a shame that the collaboration between the trio never took place in the Silent Hill universe, but Death Stranding, Kojima's debut venture after splitting from Konami, reunited the trio, with del Toro lending his likeness for a character, and Norman Reedus playing protagonist Sam Porter Bridges.
Meanwhile, rumors surrounding the Silent Hill franchise continue to swirl. Earlier this year, a report claimed that multiple Silent Hill games were currently in production, and would be unveiled next year in 2022. Another rumor even claimed that Hideo Kojima is once again involved with the franchise after Silent Hill' unceremonious cancellation, but so far at least, none of these rumors have been confirmed as legitimate in any way.
Check out our best horror games guide if you're looking for some terrifying gems to sink your teeth into.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

Hirun Cryer is a freelance reporter and writer with Gamesradar+ based out of U.K. After earning a degree in American History specializing in journalism, cinema, literature, and history, he stepped into the games writing world, with a focus on shooters, indie games, and RPGs, and has since been the recipient of the MCV 30 Under 30 award for 2021. In his spare time he freelances with other outlets around the industry, practices Japanese, and enjoys contemporary manga and anime.


