Fortnite update 8.40 is here and it lets you pet dogs. It's the most eagerly awaited bit of common courtesy to hit the game since Epic added the option to thank the bus driver, and it's finally here. The update also gives planes a second chance to shine in their own safely contained mode, while also making some welcome changes to the Battle Pass Friend XP Bonus. We've laid out how those three tweaks will change how you play the game right here, and you can scroll on to see the full Fortnite patch notes from the developers.
Pet the dog (and other pets)
Finally, the good pets of Fortnite can get their just reward for sticking by us through explosive eliminations and extended bush campouts alike. Finding out how to pet the dog in Fortnite is easy, just walk up to a teammate who has a pet equipped and press the button prompt when it appears - this works in both the lobby and actual matches. Note that you, heartbreakingly, cannot pet your own pet. Since you carry them around on your back all the time I guess the ergonomics just don't work out. Fate can be so cruel.
Return to the skies in Air Royale
The love-em-or-hate-em X-4 Stormwing planes are back in their own Limited-Time Mode: welcome to Fortnite Air Royale. The duos-only mode gives every team their own plane with three lives and keeps the fight in the sky by immediately eliminating players who set foot on the ground (planes can land momentarily, but they'll be destroyed if they linger). It goes all Sky Mario Kart with floating chests that give you items just for flying through them, and you can even rack up extra lives for your duo by hijacking an enemy plane. Stay frosty up there.
The Battle Pass Friend XP Bonus is always maxed out
Used to be you had to coordinate a full play date for an entire squad of friends to get the maximum Battle Pass Friend XP Bonus of 120%, which was really frickin' hard for anybody who doesn't always squad up with the same full group every night. Now you'll get that same 120% boost whether you're playing with one Battle Pass owning friend or a whole squad of them. The casuals of the world thank you, Epic Games.
Read on for the full update 8.40 change log below.
Fortnite tips | Fortnite patch notes | Fortnite Battle Pass Challenges | Fortnite Discovery Challenges | Fortnite Tier 100 Challenges | Fortnite buried treasure | Fortnite Party Assist | Fortnite ping system | Fortnite map changes | How to get free Fortnite V-Bucks | Fortnite 2FA | Fortnite Season 9
Weapons & Items
- Everyone’s favorite egg-themed Grenade Launcher skin is back!
- This is a visual only change for the Grenade Launcher.
- Added Epic and Legendary Infantry Rifle variants.
- Deals 42/44 damage.
- Can be found from Floor Loot, Chests, Supply Drops and Vending Machines.
- Uses Medium Ammo.
- You can now pet the dog... and other Pets!
- The Battle Pass Friend XP Bonus has been upgraded!
- Instead of giving a small XP boost to each friend in your party, you now get a larger XP boost for partying with one or more friends.
- The overall total XP Bonus remains the same (120%) and will now be much easier to keep active
- In short, play any match with any number of friends and you'll be getting the same amount of XP as someone who's been playing with a full squad of Battle-Pass-owning friends.
- Fixed an issue where the Season 8 trailer wouldn't play in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where the embers from environmental Campfires would linger if the floor they were attached to was destroyed.
- Fixed issue where Coconuts could not be pinged.
- Fixed an issue where turbo building could stop if you ran out of the current type of material you were using.
- Fixed an issue with Traps being be placed inside walls, making them difficult to see.
- Fixed an issue with Traps being placed inconsistently when auto-placed.
- Fixed 'Emotes' not playing when bound to specific keys.
- Fixed an issue when using 'Replay Last Emote' before using any other emote, so it now plays the emote in the default slot.
- New Tournament - April 20 & 21: Fortnite World Cup Online Open Week 2 ($1,000,000 total prize pool!)
- Top performers in each server region will qualify to the Fortnite World Cup Finals in New York City. Full Fortnite World Cup details and official rules can be found here: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/competitive/events/world-cup
- Duos Game Mode
- Participation in this event requires both players to have reached Champion League in Arena.
- Region Lock is in effect - players may only participate in the qualifier for a single server region each week of the Online Opens. The server region of the first match entered for that weekend’s tournament will be the one the player will be locked into for that entire weekend.
- April 20 - Round One: All Eligible Players.
- April 21 - Round Two: Top 1500 Teams from Round One.
- Added Fortnite World Cup Qualifier slots onto the prize breakout for Online Open tournaments.
- Visual improvements for Lobby panel during Online Open tournaments.
- Updated how Anonymous Mode works in tournaments to provide an improved experience for stream viewers while still protecting streamers.
- When a player is eliminated, their name will be shown in the elimination feed.
- When a player eliminates an opponent, their name will be shown to the eliminated player only.
- Maximum Screen Aspect Ratio can no longer be greater than 16:9.
- Resolved a performance regression occurring on PCs with less than quad-core CPUs.
- If you’re still experiencing performance issues on PC, try manually adding the “NoRHIThread” to the Epic Games Launcher settings for Fortnite.
Art & Animation
- Increased the size and intensity of the Boom Bow explosion effects to better represent the damage radius.
- Adjusted the attenuation of the Reboot Van cooldown and Reboot Chip ambient looping audio, so that it’s not as loud.
- Fixed an issue that would cause the Shotgun equip sounds to occasionally not play.
- Mimic! When bringing up your emote wheel there’s now an option that appears if you’re looking at another player doing an emote you own, to allow you to play the same emote.
- When hiding HUD elements in the options, some of them now collapse to free up the space they were taking up - the minimap for example.
- There’s now a HUD UI option to hide the vehicle control hints.
- The Limited Time Mode Victory screen is no longer pushed out of place on mobile/Switch.
- Fixed an issue where drone speed was not saved when scrubbing
- Fixed an issue where scrubbing a replay while in Drone Attach mode would result in the camera being left behind.
- Updated the Baller controls on default and custom HUDs.
- Baller controls are available to be adjusted in the HUD Layout Tool for custom HUD players.
- Audiovisual shot indicators will no longer display for players in the same vehicle.
- Fixed an issue with the Android app icon being incorrectly displayed.
- Fixed an issue with Voice Chat while spectating
- Push-To-Talk button is also no longer hidden while spectating
- Fixed an issue where Auto-run would not activate in vehicles.
- Fixed an issue where the Reboot Card description was missing.
- Fixed an issue where the Arena overview panel was not displaying.
- Fixed an issue with the FPS counter being shown twice.
- Fixed an issue where the weapon icon would not display in inventory hot bar sometimes.
- Fixed an issue where textures would appear stretched when on a Creative Island.
- Fixed an issue that displayed a checkmark icon on certain commands of vehicles.
- Fixed an issue where a second storm wall would appear in the desert biome during the first closing period.
- Fixed an issue where some chests could not be opened.
- Fixed issues where weak wifi halted gameplay and could cause some disconnects.