Topics

Best of GR

• Killingjoke - July 14, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I started Silent Hill 2. 2 years ago and yet to finish it. Everyone says its such a great game, I should go back.
  • JENNYPICCOLO - July 17, 2013 4:12 p.m.

you will be extremely glad you did
  • sephex - July 14, 2013 3:37 a.m.

Hail to the number 1! I would have put Metal Gear Solid (the first) and maybe Shadow of The Colossus as well.
  • MD-Stranger - July 14, 2013 12:53 a.m.

....You know, I was originally going to write a huge essay on why I thought LA Noire's story was a total hunk of bollocks, but instead I'm just going to link this (Obvious spoilers are obvious): http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/la-noire-has-problems Sums it up far better than I could. Oh, and on ME2, I liked the part where ME3 pretty much rendered it's main plot a total waste of time and ended up having sidequests do more to push the story along.
  • mademanrdo - July 13, 2013 11:02 p.m.

i think alpha protocol deserves a nod. that game gets no respect!
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Alpha Protocol had a terrible story.
  • winner2 - July 14, 2013 10:37 p.m.

That's because a lot of people agree that game sucks
  • ThundaGawd - July 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I find your lack of Shadow of the Colossus and Legend of Dragoon in this list is disappointing.
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Bioshock's story is that great? Don't get me wrong, Rapture is incredible and I love the backstory to the game's universe, but the story of the game itself, with the exception of the massive twist halfway through, really isn't that special. I really enjoyed the game, but saying its story is the 2nd best of any game ever is going a bit far, if you ask me.
  • mademanrdo - July 13, 2013 11:01 p.m.

agreed
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Agreed as well
  • aberkromby - July 13, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Assassins Creed 2 was definitely the peak for that series. It was all pretty much downhill after that. The story became stupid after Lucy died (I'd say spoilers, but who really gives a shit.), the gameplay became bloated, and the main characters went from "hit-and-run assassin" to "one-man genocide machine with the powers of god to slaughter a thousand men in seconds."
  • jseph1234 - October 13, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Reported for being an asshole who didn't declare this as a spoiler, jerk!
  • aberkromby - October 13, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Probably could have reported me for profanity, and the mods would care a whole lot more than "spoiling" an awful ending to a mediocre game from a milked series that got old 4 games ago.
  • SDHoneymonster - July 13, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Shadow Of The Colossus? I know it's sparingly told, but it is a blinder.
  • brickman409 - July 13, 2013 2:48 p.m.

where did you get that high resolution fallout 2 picture? I'm guessing it's fan made
  • taokaka - July 13, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Good list, I think you covered the ones most people think of. Just some others I think are at least worth an honorable mention include the world ends with you, professor layton and the lost future, 999, valkyria chronicles, journey, flower and asura's wrath (not particularly deep or artistic but bloody enjoyable nevertheless). One of my other all time favourite stories are the ones in the blazblue games, their is so much amazingness in them but unfortunately it is hidden inside the fort knox of confusing exposition.
  • forestfire55 - July 13, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Just a couple things i would change, first, switch fallout 2 for 3. Fallout 2 was a very good game, but it just doesnt have the emotions you feel in fallout 3. And also, no portal 2, portal is one the best puzzle games of all time, but no body plays it for the story, that consists of a lovable, silent protagonist that has no personality whatsoever.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Actually, TONS of people played Portal for the story, and even more played Portal 2 for this same reason. I should know, I'm one of them. No one has ever claimed that Portal 2's story was good because of Chell. It's good because of Glados, Wheatley, Cave Johnson, and all the story behind the rise and fall of aperture science, which is told trough both on dialogue and also hidden thorough details in the world. Also, no offense, but I get the sense that you haven't even played Portal 2. And if you haven't, why are you judging it?
  • kezins - July 13, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Interesting topic, but there were quite a few omissions in this list that I assumed would be there. I definitely wouldn't have included stuff like The Last if Us. The story started really strong in the game, but fell apart by the weak ending.