Topics

E3

• samsneeze - June 4, 2012 6:50 p.m.

David Cage is man trying to see if he can trick people into buying a bad sixty dollar movie again. I think people are crazy enough to do it. I mean, that video had absolutely no player interaction and yet people are excited for it. Why?
  • Kieran712 - June 4, 2012 7:35 p.m.

Because the guys at Quantic Dream make amazing pieces of art/entertaiment and people cant wait for more of they have to offer. Thats why. Fair enough if you were not a fan of Heavy Rain's style but don't pass it off as a 'bad movie' because the game was if nothing else hugely innovative and in the eyes of a lot of people amazing.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 7:45 p.m.

If the people at Quantic Dream make amazing pieces of "art/entertainment", then I'm a Space Ninja. How was Heavy Rain innovative, exactly? What did it do that other games hadn't done better before? Was it the gameplay? Well I know for a fact that's not it. Was it the story? You'd have to huff paint to believe something like that. Then what? I'm honestly curious. What did Heavy Rain do that was so innovative and impressive.
  • Kieran712 - June 4, 2012 7:56 p.m.

I see instead of bringing valid points you just dismiss others, sign of someone uneducated. As far as innovation and gameplay what other game has made you feel like you actually are the character. In games like Gears or Cod you know your just controlling a guy running around a map, but in Heavy Rain you feel like you are contributing to every action your character makes and thats because you are. Granted the story had some plot holes but if you actually let yourself get attached to the game you really feel for the characters and the struggles they are going through. That coupled with the 'who dunnit' and the fact that every little move and every stone you turn can change the story drastically so much that everyone can die, or you could get the best possible out come makes for a pretty good story. Thats why it was innovative and impressive.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 8:14 p.m.

When did I dismiss anyone? I asked you to tell me why you thought what Quantic Dream did with Heavy Rain was innovative and all you did was call me uneducated. Pot, meet kettle. What other game has made me feel I was the character? (Long list is long.) Nier Lost Odyssey Dragon Quest V Chrono Trigger Mass Effect 1, 2, 3 Dragon Age: Origins Shenmue 1, 2 Snake Eater Metal Gear Solid 4 Gears of War And the list goes on and on. There are tons of games out there that make you feel the way Heavy Rain was desperately failing to make me feel. Mainly because the story was so poorly told and acted. None of the characters grabbed like the ones from the about listed games did. "This game has multiple endings and is therefore innovative." SEEMS LEGIT.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 4, 2012 9:14 p.m.

No!!! No!!!! No!!!! Literally none of those games allow you the freedom to choose as heavy rain did a few years back. You mistake a morally good or bad option for cinematic drama which is what heavy rain and this future title represents. Nier— a game that was mostly text based so no freedom in emotion there Mass effect series — a handfull of decisions in each title but not amassing to that of heavy rain Dragon age origins — the story is so dull that it is not even funny. How can you compare heavy rain to this? MGS snake eater/ MGS4 — Greater story than heavy rain but it lacks in the presentation of actual emotion. Gears of war — Most dull, linear, non dramatic game you can ever play.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 9:52 p.m.

Dude. All of those games have better characters than Heavy Rain. Nier - A man is driven to do whatever he can to save his daughter, even destroy the future. He takes in and forms a deep relationship with an uppity talking book, a foul mouthed but kind heart-ed young woman(Hermaphrodite, technically.) and a kid who spent most who his life either alone or destroying the world around him. And even after that he had to kill his sister and lose his body to become an abomination. The emotion that they display in the things they say to each other and their tone of voice when they speak coupled with the music and style of the vastly out weights anything Heavy Rain could try to muster. Mass Effect is the tale of man out to save the galaxy. He's commander Shepard. You are him, and he is you. You decide the future of the galaxy through your actions. You build, or not build bonds with your wonderfully written crew. You take action, you spare the guilty or you kill the innocent. The game is about choice. People will respond and to you, love you, hate you, all based on how you act out the story. Dragon Age: Origins has some of the best character writing in video games, in general. There isn't a single dis-likeable, or rather badly written character in the game. They all have their "problems" and pasts. They all respond in ways that were shaped by their pasts. They are all freshly laid out for the player. They all have reason. They will come and they will go completely depending you. These feel like people. They are people who you'd want with you on life or death excursions. Why? Because they feel alive. Walking through town and hearing them speak to each on various things is always a joy. Gears of War. Linear? Yeah, pretty much. Dull, well that's up to opinion, but I don't think so. It has plenty of exciting moments and slight twists in the story that keep me interested. Non dramatic? Well, at this point it has become clear that you haven't even played the games so explaining it to you would be a bit of waste. Lost Odyssey will most likely be the last great traditional JRPG we have this console generation, and I don't really mind. The story here is so engaging even from the opening moments that you'd have to be daft not to be able to not get involved. There is plenty of character development, mystery and love put into these characters. You are always left wanting to figure the next big thing. You are driven to take out the big bad. You are totally invested by the time the final battle comes and are simply elated when game ends. And the Thousand Years Dreams. Those are in a completely different ballpark altogether.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 5, 2012 8:21 a.m.

Dude, And heavy rain as somthing that none of those games have. It projected a man's promise to find his lost sone, to risk anything and everything to save his life. No aliens, magic, mythical creatures or sci fi action just a man's unconditional love for his son. That is the emotion that you fail to see.
  • samsneeze - June 5, 2012 8:38 a.m.

But you see, magic, aliens mythical creatures and sci-fi are just the back drop in the world where they live. If you can't see the characters beyond that and need bare bones story telling, then I can see how a game like Heavy Rain left the impression it did on you. They're great characters because they feel real, not because they have magic or other things like that. It's because they interact with one another and build relationships through that connection. Everyone one of the above games has that, Heavy Rain does not.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 5, 2012 11:07 a.m.

I'll say this then I am dropping this conversation. When ethan lost his son in the mall, I felt like I lost one of my own. When Jason (the boy who you lost) gets hit by a car you are presented with a depression scenario that makes you reflect onto the situation. Lastly, when I finnaly managed to find Shaun (Ethan's other son) and he died from the rain water, I felt Ethans troubles and in turn that anger and hatred that he had towards the oragami killer transitioned into myself. You may not like heavy rain, but it is one of the few games that will make you tear up from the psychological transference of emotion.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 4, 2012 7:48 p.m.

I would rather pay $60 for a story driven game such as this, then one that I will just sit there and punch a button all day at.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 7:51 p.m.

You'd pay sixty dollars for movie? ...Oh, goodness.
  • GarcianSmith - June 4, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Heavy Rain was a disappointment. No getting over it. Bad acting, horrible scripting and poor plot with dozens of holes. However - it was not without its moments. Driving down the wrong lane of a freeway, for example. I need to see more gameplay first (the teaser snipped seemed very PRESS BUTTON TO DO SOMETHING COOL which concerns me) but I'm not going to outright dismiss this game based on 10 minutes of video.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 4, 2012 9:16 p.m.

A video game, movie, or book that presents a morally implicative challenge that I must analyze in my own way will always provide a greater return then a run and gun shooter.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 9:58 p.m.

The thing is, I'm not comparing Heavy Rain to shooters. Except with that Gears of War bit, everything else has been from games that cover multiple genres from action to turn based. But you know what the best part is? "presents a morally implicative challenge that I must analyze" Heavy Rain is nothing of the sort. At least, not for me.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 5, 2012 5:35 a.m.

Well you clearly never played heavy rain. Heavy rain presents several challenges to which one must analyze in their own way. Whether it was with the detective in giving into his drug tendency, or profiling all of the character to find out who the orgami killer was — every decision was built to be in consequence.
  • samsneeze - June 5, 2012 6:20 a.m.

Claims I didn't play the game after I called him out for not playing one. Yeah, the "no you" argument is as sound as ever, even outside of the playground. Every decision was built to hide the origami killer in order to present some weak twist to a laughable plot.
  • christian-shaffer - June 4, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Also, the $60 for a movie argument is just stupid. That's like saying "Oh, you bought the new call of Duty? Way to waste $60 on the game you bought last year." Don't get me wrong, I think $60 is too much as well. The difference is, I think $60 is too much for every game.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 9:23 p.m.

Sixty dollars for Call of Duty isn't a bad thing since it has plenty of content and multiplayer for people who care about the series. What I'm saying is that people are giving much praise to a series that does nothing in return. I agree that sixty dollars is a lot of money and most times too much, but you should see my point at least.
  • tiben36 - June 4, 2012 10:08 p.m.

60$ to walk in a straight line know where you could walk in a straight line for free? auschwitz
  • LordHyper - June 6, 2012 8:30 p.m.

Wow. Guess who just won the Most Offensive and Unneeded Comment on Gamesradar Award?
  • SentientSquidMachine - June 4, 2012 9:04 p.m.

....what? You know you can buy a blu-ray for like half the price right. If I'm going to pay $60 for a game.....it should be a game.... you know, the ones that involve dexterity to some extent.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 4, 2012 9:38 p.m.

In no way did I state that I would pay sixty dollars for a movie, Sam inserted that thinking. I stated that I would rather pay sixty dollars for a game that is driven on the premise of story rather than mindless run and gun tactics. COD is not cutting it out any more. Sure it was fun back in 2010 but it is getting too old and activision is milking it dry. It's multiplayer is fool of children who would rather argue about falsified glitching rather than play the game. COD story while fun in the aspect of black ops (because of vietnam) was one of the best in the series, but the whole futuristic look is pushing it over the line. Realize that creativity has indeed died because it is evident by the fact that few too companies would rather reiterate past sucessess than introduce new innovations. In the end, this game is a warm welcome from the long line of IP'S that need to be put to rest. I.E., Mario, zelda, GOD of War, Call of freaking duty, Gears of war, and so much more.
  • The_Tingler - June 5, 2012 5:15 a.m.

I hate to get into an argument with Sony fans, but... there was no game there. Story? Yes, potentially looks great. This is a game though, and the crucial part they didn't show was an actual game. I love story-driven games, but I want to know what game I'll be playing to do it.
  • christian-shaffer - June 4, 2012 9:15 p.m.

Heavy Rain was innovative in a couple different aspects. Firstly, it showed emotion on a level that had never been done before. Show me a game prior to Heavy Rain that portrayed human emotion merely through facial expression before it. There aren't any. Second of all, it was the first game to be comprised of mostly QTE's. Yes, God of War and others are full of QTE's but not to the extent that HR was. It allowed you to take control of the most minuscule maneuvers, such as opening a car door. The game was the first big step to being able to play a movie with a controller. Some people want to be able to control a character in an arguably, completely realistic setting and be able to decide the ending. I'm not saying you have to like the game, but it was definitely innovative. Innovation doesn't come solely from gameplay in story. It can come from things like facial expressions and tiny details as well.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 4, 2012 9:19 p.m.

Christian, thank you. Heavy rain presented a change from all of the COD, BF3, Gears, Halo, and any other constistantly reiterated IP. Innovative ideas comes from the story and not how you dodge bullets.
  • samsneeze - June 4, 2012 10:09 p.m.

"Firstly, it showed emotion on a level that had never been done before." It tried to show emotion. What I got was a bunch of awkwardly speaking voice actors reading a questionable at best first draft script and animations that felt oddly robotic at times. Even then, you don't need high end CG or anything really to show emotions, just decent writing, direction, and delivery. "Second of all, it was the first game to be comprised of mostly QTE's. Yes, God of War and others are full of QTE's but not to the extent that HR was." That's just laziness. Like, seriously. It's innovative to be lazy? What. The. Hell. "The game was the first big step to being able to play a movie with a controller." How is that even remotely a good thing? Movies and games are not the same thing and shouldn't really be treated as such. I don't want to play an interactive movie, I want to play a game. It is by no means impossible to tell a story that makes a player feel all kinds of emotions, while still maintaining solid gameplay features to fall back on. "It can come from things like facial expressions and tiny details as well." I see where you arc coming from, but Heavy Rain really wasn't innovative in any of the presented things you're trying to convince me it did.
  • Rambo 11 - June 4, 2012 10:42 p.m.

I see where christian and tj are coming from but sam is right, quantic dream did nothing innovative with heavy rain, it was the exact same concept as their previous title Farenheit (also known as Indigo Prophecy) it just had a different storyline and better graphics.