• LordZarlon - July 5, 2012 2:46 p.m.

This is one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard! If anyone remembers the original PC port of FF VII then you remember that it sucked! Why do this with no upgrades? FFVII was one of the best selling PS1 games around. It's not that hard to find a used copy and a used PS1. You can probably find both at a flea market or tag sale for under 20 bucks and, since they aren't upgrading the game at all, you aren't missing anything by playing it on an old system.
  • lazer59882 - July 6, 2012 1:37 a.m.

the pc port wasn't bad at all! that's the only version i played, and i played it to death over and over till i lost disc 2, so while i can't compare it directly, i do distinctly remember the graphics being at a higher resolution. on the other hand, now that i think about it, i also remember some of the FMV cutscenes being inexplicably upside down...
  • LordZarlon - July 9, 2012 5:27 p.m.

The point about the upgraded resolution is well stated. I stand corrected. I still find it an odd game to pull out of the hat and re-release now on the PC.
  • Omrikon - July 5, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Fans: "Hey, FF VII was awesome! Can you remake it for next-gen?" Square: "No. How about a movie with kick-ass graphics?" Fans: "Well... okay, that was pretty cool. But seriously, how about a remake with those kinds of graphics?" Square: "Hm, no. How about a ton of spinoffs instead? You guys liked Vincent, right?" Fans: *sigh* "Thanks, but no. Just FF VII. Remade. With nicer graphics. That's all we want. We'll pay full game price." Square: "We hear what you're saying everyone." Fans: "REALLY? Thank you!" Square: "How about we let you replay the old game, unchanged, except now you can spend your real money to buy in-game items via microtransactions! That's current and modern!" Fans: >:(
  • Tjwoods18 - July 5, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Hey >.< I really liked the derge of Cerebus.
  • heyitsmarcus - July 5, 2012 2:02 p.m.

SquareEnix is really smart for doing this. They can put the game out with minimal moneys, selling it for a low price. It will suck that it can be an amusement park ride, but that really just gives the consumer more options. Most "core" gamers interested with this game will have already played it and may just want to breeze through with the story, micro-transactioning away. New gamers tend to want "current" games with higher production values, etc. to pay full retail price for this sort of thing. Ultimately, more money put into these transactions, and more profits for the company, could ultimately lead to that remake people are wanting so bad. I've demolished this game on my PSX, and will not be rebuying it. I bet and hope many people that haven't will pick this up for the cheap price, it was a fun ride.
  • ElwoodFiore - July 5, 2012 1:58 p.m.

Fuck this. Nuff said 3 games now are following the microtransactions route. Diablo 3, 2012 Tibia (1998-2012/current) Applied microtransaction after diablo 3 came out, as they were against the rules in Tibia, Final fantasy VII (pc) 2012 re-release If you can't beat them join them? Any games comming out with micro buy me to beat me type shit is not gonna get a good applause
  • MrX867 - July 5, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Am I the only that sees this as rather....unnecessary?
  • avery78 - July 5, 2012 12:58 p.m.

I still have this for the PS and I refuse to play this version with microtransactions.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 5, 2012 11:56 a.m.

The only way to justify microtransactions is if the difficulty was multiplied by 50. Boss too hard? Then run around and grind until you have the items and exp you need too not get raped. Seriously, who are the pansy-ass "gamers" who would need a crutch to beat this game. If you can't beat Sephiroth with 1 attack, or beat Emerald Weapon, then you didn't play the game properly. (rant over)
  • Cloudiology - July 5, 2012 11:49 a.m.

I........... Whu.......... Squeenix Boss: yo guys! how do we continue to fuck up our once treasured franchise!!?!???!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 5, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Dirge of Cerberus 2
  • Cloudiology - July 5, 2012 12:30 p.m.

that's just too much..
  • Balaska - July 5, 2012 11:24 a.m.

But I already own the PC version of FF VII. Am I the only one?
  • danielandrade - July 5, 2012 12:58 p.m.

No mate, you are not the only one. I really cannot understand why rerelease the exact same game. I mean, if there was a substantial upgrade to the core game experience, or a graphic overhaul, something to justify purchasing it all over... But as far as I can tell from this trailer, it is pretty much the same PC FFVII only with microtransactions to get items and stuff. So... pay real money for something you can get for free in-game, or that you can get with a free savegame editor? Its just milking at this point really.
  • Ed - July 5, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Yep, I cannot believe they didn't ATTEMPT to upscale the resolution and stick a HD at the back. I mean, most folks AT LEAST try... judging by the number of HD collections we've see so far with so many big-name franchises... That's just LAZY. >:/