What’s new in Dawnguard
Get a makeover
Above: It’s about damn time
Dawnguard brings with it a new NPC, Galathil, who can change your face for a meager sum of 1000g. You can find her in The Ragged Flagon, which is a tavern accessed via the Rataway underneath Riften.
Fight a Revered or Legendary Dragon
The Dawnguard DLC offers two new dragon breeds. If you are at least level 60, Revered Dragons will spawn at random around Skyrim, just like any other dragon. Legendary Dragons show up once you’ve hit level 70. There’s an achievement/trophy to be had if you can bring down one of the latter.
Become a Vampire Lord
The advantage is you can use the awesome new Vampire Lord form, complete with bat teleportation, semi-flight, and its own skill tree. Unlike a werewolf, you can shift in and out of this form at will.
The disadvantages are that you’re still a vampire, significantly weakened by sunlight and need to feed on people to keep your strength up. Although normal people will not shun you, any Dawnguard member you run into will attack on sight, even if you aren’t in Vampire Lord form.
Bolster your werewolf skills
Werewolves now have their own skill trees similar to the new Vampire Lords’. This drastically improves the power of beast form. The skill tree powers are as follows:
- Bestial Strength: Do 25% more damage (incremental up to 100%)
- Animal Vigor: 100 point bonus to health and stamina in beast form
- Gorging: Feeding heals twice as much
- Savage Feeding: Able to feed off most dead creatures for half the time extension
- Totem of Terror: How of Terror affects even higher level creatures
- Totem of the Predator: Totem of the Hunt howl has extended range, and shows whether the targets are not in combat, searching, or actively in combat
- Totem of Ice Brothers: Howl that calls Ice Wolves
- Totem of the Moon: Totem of Brotherhood howl calls werewolves
Make friends with an armored troll
If you become a member of the Dawnguard, you can spend 500 gold to hire an armored troll to follow you.
Learn three new shouts
There are some fancy new Dragon Shouts that can be learned. See the side quest section for more details on where to find them and what they do.
Fight a Reaper
No, not one of those flying robots of death. We’re referring to the grim variety, and the secret boss that awaits you in the Soul Cairn. For more details on how to find it and fight it, refer to the side quests section.
Turn your spouse into a vampire
Complete enough radiant quests inside Castle Volkihar, and Vingalmo will offer the quest of turning your spouse. All you need to do then is use vampire seduction and feed on your beloved.