• azureguy - April 6, 2012 3:24 p.m.

You favor the second No More Heroes over the original? Gamesradar, I am disappoint. In case of Super Mario Galaxy 2 it's cool because yes, the second part is better by like, 2 % over an already near-perfect game. But everyone who hasn't heard of No More Heroes or Suda 51 NEEDS to play the fist game first. Sure it doesn't make too much of a difference story-wise, and the minigames are slightly (again, by like 2%) less annoying in the second game, but the first game is just more classy.
  • FOZ - April 6, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Obligatory "I dislike this format." Obligatory "I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 is way better." First game is better in every single way. Second game had absolutely horrible pacing and so little of the charm. Also the No More Heroes 2 screenshot is not only from the first game, it's from a pre-release version of the first game. What's with that? I would put DKCR above New Super Mario Bros., but the rest I can't exactly disagree with.
  • DecoyOctorok - April 7, 2012 8:02 p.m.

I think the level design is SMG2 slightly edges out the original but Rosalina's story makes the the first SMG more memorable. I also preferred the hub to the layout in SMG2.
  • laurenhiya21 - April 6, 2012 7:03 p.m.

Meh, I didn't really like Shattered Memories or Galaxy 2 that much... But still, I generally like the Wii, since there are some good games on it (hate the controller though ._.) I'm kind of surprised that Monster Hunter Tri isn't on here though (oh and I thought Trauma Center was super good... if you had a friend to help ><)
  • grappler51 - April 6, 2012 10:54 p.m.

I would've liked to see Red Steel 2 on there. Also Monster Hunter Tri is pretty good..
  • DecoyOctorok - April 7, 2012 4:17 p.m.

I would also like to nominate Endless Ocean.
  • Darkhawk - April 9, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Blue World is one of my all-time favourite games. Seriously, that is far and away one of the great all-time adventures
  • artcellrox - February 12, 2013 12:45 a.m.

RS2 and Tri are both on this list...
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - April 7, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Ah. Great list. Twilight princess should be on there, but oh wells. I'm currently taking a break from my 360 and playing this shit out of my Wii, so this list has given me some ideas. Once I finish Skyward Sword on hero mode, I'm gonna FINALLY finish that last boss on Muramasa, and then go buy Zack and Wiki. I have no idea why thats not in my collection already. Or SMG 2.
  • mbavalo - April 7, 2012 1 p.m.

I still see a Mario game appearing ever so often, and simply because of this, i choose not to believe the wii has an awesomely large collection of games. Yes there are good games but whenever i think wii, Mario appears in my head, and I would not want to stick with Mario for a whole console generation. Sorry wii, just not buying it
  • DecoyOctorok - April 7, 2012 4:12 p.m.

That's your own problem then. Anyone that claims that the Wii was all waggling gimmicks never gave it a fair chance. It has plenty of great games.
  • ncurry2 - April 7, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Well you must hate all video game systems then. Op, 360 has a halo. It sucks. Op, PS3 has a gran turismo. It sucks. Op, PC has a new sim city game. It sucks. Ever stop and consider that maybe Mario has remained a critical and commercial success for 25 years now because the games continue to evolve and deliver some of the best experiences on any console? Or did you play Super Mario Bros on NES and assume that every game after that was a remake?
  • mbavalo - April 14, 2012 2:16 a.m.

hahaha, funny. in my case, each and every time i see a collection of nintendo games there is always mario dominating! give him a break. Have you ever seen gamesRadar having an article asking whether or not they should give grand turismo a break? no, but they have one about mario. When you see the nintendo gamers website, who appears in the main picture/thumbnail? you guessed it, that freakin plumber! mario was cool but now they are just too lazy to make new games or they are out of creative idea. And again, the number of halo games have not even hit 10,grand turismo is a simulator, its more helpful than as a game on its own, Sim city sucks, yeah, but PC gaming has its own advantages, including graphics which nintendo has not even come close to. All mario games are the same, the just add some more things to make you waste your money on it
  • talleyXIV - May 25, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Nintendo has more huge mascots than any other company for a reason. They made fantastic characters almost 20 years ago and they are so great that they never had to go away. Nintendo: Mario, Link (Zelda), Kirby, Samus (Metroid), Donkey Kong, and even Punch-Out has lasted a long time. Those are five absolutely huge mascots and I didn't name characters like Yoshi or Wario who are also very recognizable. Playstation's have all kicked the bucket, Crash Bandicoot, Jak, Ratchet and Clank has lost its notoriety, and many others. Xbox: I can name two, Master Chief and Marcus from GoW. Forgive Nintendo for thinking that since their characters have lasted around 25 years each, they should keep using them in their absolutely great games. Go play Super Mario Galaxy 2 or any Zelda game and tell me that they should stop making those games just because they have done a lot of them.
  • mbavalo - May 25, 2012 1:36 p.m.

Do you have the same meal over and over for 5 years straight without any change whatsoever? If so then you are a Nintendo fanboy. Analogy well used
  • talleyXIV - June 16, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Halo 1 - Reach are all almost identical, all Gears of War games are almost identical, God of War games are great but again, almost the same exact experience, LittleBigPlanet (Love that game to death) is just the same as number 2. Ratchet and Clank has been the same thing for 10 years. Sure Zelda games come out a lot but they are never even close to being the same experience. Kirby games are always vastly different, Return to Dreamland and Epic Yarn are completely different. Mario games are extremely innovative, Super Mario Galaxy has been called game of the generation and number 2 got even better reviews, Metroid Other M is very different maybe to a fault, Donkey Kong has a great game every like 5 years. Nintendo uses the same characters and makes very different games.
  • mbavalo - June 18, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Can't believe we are still having this argument. Halo. How many halo games are there. Did they say that Halo4 would be the last? god of war, how many are there? each without fox or squirrel costumes? And how often do they make a god of war game? Mario..... Mario is no longer even seen as a game. If you think Mario, you think Nintendo. Nintendo have finally caught up with this gen (a whole 6 years late) Let us hope they act like this gen. But Nintendo land is already making that hope fade away, soon you will hear "Mario land in Nintendo land", then Mario land 2 inside Nintendo land. Then, "Mario and donkey kong inside Nintendo land" and not even after a year, "Mario brothers inside Nintendo land" Man, overusing characters makes them suck. If crash bandicoot made a comeback now, it would cause more joy than any current Mario
  • ncurry2 - June 19, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Wow, I didn't recognize any of this was going on. Let me open with saying that bringing back Crash Bandicoot would in no way, shape, or form come remotely close to any legitimate Mario game in terms of joy inducement. There's a reason why one platformer still sees huge success and the other died generations ago. More to the point; I understand you're perspective mbavalo, I do. I have friends that are the same way. The problem with the logic is that you have obviously not played any of these games that you are complaining about for a while now. Yes, they still feature a red and blue clad Italian plumber jumping and squealing through a colorful and cushy playground but the experience is so vastly different amongst them all (barring the rare exception of direct sequels but honestly, who wouldn't want another more outlandish Galaxy game?) And therein lies the issue: you don't play the games so you haven't lived the experience. It's more than the differences in mechanics, level design, general design philosophy (free-roaming nature of Mario 64 compared to the quasi linear yet still 3D nature of Super Mario 3D Land to the purely retro 2D NSMB), and difficulty which does vary quite vastly. It's an underlying subtlety that is difficult to explain but so obtrusively apparent to those of us that play them that it seems ridiculous when outsiders make these claims. I'm not saying Nintendo has no faults (far from it). I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see new ips strongly pushed by Nintendo. But there is absolutely no reason Nintendo shouldn't still continue to develop their historic ips as well; adding innovation and inspiration where it fits but remaining true to the experience that each franchise has to offer.
  • mbavalo - June 19, 2012 2:47 p.m.

I like that... the way you put it. Yes I have not played any Mario for a long time now, the experience might be different with each new game but to me, the fact that they just overuse a character makes that hard to believe. We have games that are different but work the same too but again... it just won't live up to my standards (which at times are too high) Nintendo lost me as a fan once they concentrated on the casual market and I think this is why I never see anything positive with them. Maybe the Wii U will change that, maybe it will worsen it. Anyway, am I the only one finding it weird that we are still having this conversation?
  • ncurry2 - June 19, 2012 3:56 p.m.

Hey, you're the one that dug it up =P (or maybe the other guy.) I didn't even know this was going on until I checked my profile. I also agree that Nintendo has concentrated a bit too much on the casual market as of lately. I still find the majority of their games fantastic but it's always quite apparent that the game isn't as demanding skill wise as it might have been a decade or two ago. There's nothing particularly wrong with that; I don't have nearly as much spare time as I did when I was a child so on the one hand, it is nice to be able to actually get to the end of a game. But on the other, you lose some of that sense of accomplishment that comes along with overcoming something difficult. I think they have realized that though and are at least trying to fix it. In Mario Galaxy 2 for example (it seems to come up a lot), getting the 70 stars to beat the "final" bowser isn't very difficult. It's still fun, mind you but it can be done by even the most amateur of gamers. But after doing that, there's still 50 more stars to get that are a bit more challenging. And after getting those, 120 more stars are sprinkled throughout all of the stages in obscenely hard to reach spots that demand a great deal of skill and control; on par with the star world levels of Super Mario World. Collecting all of those unlocks a final, bang-your-head-against-the-table-hard level that has multiple phases and tests a variety of techniques used throughout the game to finish. Doing so will unlock the option to do it with only 1 hit and no checkpoints. Getting that 242nd star has honestly been the pinnacle of my gaming life. As for the Wii U, I'd love to think that they'll be hardcore all the way but I just don't see it. I think that casual nature has at least partially become engrained into Nintendo. But that doesn't mean you should be so quick to write it off entirely :D