Topics

Best games

• MrHo11ywood360 - August 23, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Morrowind > Skyrim
  • fearlessfox - August 23, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Not really.
  • BladedFalcon - August 23, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Indeed, like fallout 3, morrowind was filled with a lot of brown, drab, boring scenery for the most part.
  • Craza - August 27, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Morrowind was very enjoyable and it did have that sense of adventure where you had to figure things out on your own and really explore to find all sorts of neat goodies. Skyrim, however, is the first game that I have literally had my breath taken away time and time again by the sheer volume, beauty, and enchantment of the game world. It is a world where it really does feel like each and every dungeon and cave is different from the last, and it's just about the only game where I love to aimlessly wander around just to see the amazing views and well-crafted atmosphere. I don't just think to myself, "Mm, I wonder if there's a quest or a cave over there or something". I think, "Wow, I wonder what the sunset looks like from that mountain," or, "Oh, look at how amazingly the Whiterun castle stands on the hill as you're riding towards it on your horse!" There's a reason I drew and painted a lot of Skyrim's outstanding scenery and I think that's why it was chosen instead of Morrowind.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 23, 2013 4:24 p.m.

No Just Cause 2? My dreams are crushed now...
  • julian-watkins - August 23, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Bully.
  • Clovin64 - August 23, 2013 3:34 p.m.

Good pick with Datk Souls there. Due to the lack of fast travel for most of the game, I had to really learn my away around the open world. Unlocking shortcuts back to earlier bonfires felt like a victory in itself, and by the end of my first 75 hour playthrough I knew Lordran better than my own town. Seriously I could chart my path through all the areas of the game while daydreaming.
  • MrJP - August 23, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Im guessing this list is in no particular order? Gta 4 is so poor once you've played Red Dead, it feels devoid of any charisma and story. Im currently playing Sleeping Dogs and would rate that higher than some on the list also given the quality of the core mechanics. I feel the Shenmue games deserve a shout also, I still fondly remember working at the docks driving a forklift, playing in the arcade and generally killing time in the towns.
  • zymn - August 23, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Was this thrown together in literally 5 minutes? Where's the lesser known games? What about Stalker Call of Pripyat? What about a game that hasn't been on GR's lists for the past 5 years?
  • mindfreak1235 - August 23, 2013 1:21 p.m.

GTA 4? oh hell no. after you finish the story missions the game becomes so boring. for me only the mods made it better.
  • BaraChat - August 23, 2013 1:20 p.m.

I haven't played Dark Souls or Saints Row the Third (Got them both, haven't played them yet), but otherwise it's a pretty solid list. My rankings wouldn't be in that order - since I'd have Fallout 3 and Skyrim 1 and 2 - and I probably would have Mass Effect 2 and Just Cause 2 (story was poop, but the "openworldness" was superb) somewhere in there.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - August 24, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Mass Effect isn't sandbox.
  • BaraChat - August 24, 2013 11:02 a.m.

You're right, it's not technically a sandbox game or even a open world game for that matter. However, since I've always felt, while playing it, that I had the freedom to explore the galaxy, do different side quests whenever I wanted and basically "roam around" for more than a few hours, it always felt to me like an "open-world" game.
  • hardcoreretrogamer - August 23, 2013 1:02 p.m.

GTA IV over San Andreas? What a joke.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 23, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Far Cry 3 was number 11, we promise.
  • shawksta - August 23, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Yup