• doominatorx6 - November 1, 2012 9:33 p.m.

The atmosphere in Condemned (and its sequel at times) towards the beginning was fantastic. It's just too bad that the plot (FAR moreso in the sequel) got so goddamn stupid and absurd that it wrecked the experience. Remember the "head-exploder?" Yeah...
  • r.c.leclaire - November 1, 2012 11:13 p.m.

I wish they would have just kept it simple and visceral, focusing on crime scene investigations and such - instead of super powers and all that nonsense.
  • christoffer-karlof - November 1, 2012 7:47 p.m.

I´am quite sad to miss on of the, in my opinion, greatest horror games ever concived: Realms of the haunting. Yup a bit on the old side but still phenomenal (oh, also: alone in the dark)
  • tomasspipass - November 2, 2013 5:10 a.m.

Oh hell yeah. An extensive mansion, with caves,, alternate realms, crypts. filled with all manner of demons. Played like a cross between doom and an adventure puzzle game mixed with alone in the dark. I found this one of the scariest experiences (second to the original silent hill, played in black and white on import) I was very young at the time playing these. Cut scenes are fmv sequences played by actors. One sequence plays out as you enter a new room in the mansion, the female psychic states there is something, some presence here in the room with us, then promptly puts control back in your hands.. "wait.. whats in the room with us?!" Creeping nervously around the room until I find some hellish demon charging right for me.. I think I squealed like a pig before dying gruesomly. There are a lot of new first person survival horror game out now on pc, amnesia, slender, penumbra, and i've not had chance to play them. I cannot wait for the occulus rift, I'm saving these games until I own an occulus rift and evenings to myself.. for ultimate scary experiences.. when i'm likely to be found lying on the floor or gibbering in a corner the next morning by my girlfriend
  • Brutalicus - November 1, 2012 7:40 p.m.

Dead Space 2's eye poke machine. It may not be dread incarnate, but it does manipulate one of our most rational phobias: physical abuse to open eyeballs.
  • winner2 - November 1, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Dead space scared me worse than amnesia personally. Never got halfway even
  • bass88 - November 1, 2012 6:09 p.m.

Is Amnesia that scary? I thought Penumbra was shit and videos I've seen of Amnesia don't look that terrifying. I would like to try it as I am a big Lovecraft fan but if it's anything like Penumbra I'll save my money. Also, I'm going to defend Slender's inclusion. Slender works because it plays on your imagination. An expressionless entity (much like the Xenomorph from the original Alien) stalking you constantly and his victims disappear without a trace. In that situation all I can think about is the horrors Slender Man has in store for me if he gets me. SCP is rather decent too but it's not worth playing more than once.
  • Redeater - November 2, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Damn, my silly iPhone didn't post my comment. Long story short I suggest giving Amnesia a try. I played two of the Penumbra games and couldn't get through either one. Just make sure you have the lights off and the headphones on.
  • bass88 - November 2, 2012 3:54 a.m.

That's why Android phones are better ;-) Okay, I'll give Amnesia a try. But be warned: if it sucks I'm coming for you. The next time you wake from hearing a bump in the night will be me. But you'll never see me until the final moment. And then I'll tell you that you are quite poor at recommending scary games.
  • Redeater - November 2, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Deal. :)
  • Stabby_Joe - November 1, 2012 6:04 p.m.

While I'm glad you've mention Condemned however no Eternal Darkness, no list.
  • BladedFalcon - November 1, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Not that scary, really.
  • BladedFalcon - November 1, 2012 6:53 p.m.

To clarify, I know it does have pretty clever and disturbing moments, and I quite like it. But it never has a consistent tone to be quite up there as one of the best or scariest horror games. It has a lot of moments, scenes and situations that aren't tense or scary at all and feel more like an action game.
  • RonnyLive19881 - November 1, 2012 7:30 p.m.

Most of the games on this list didn't scare me, Resi and Silent Hill are the only two...kind of, that may be because I played most of those when I was younger though. Eternal Darkness had me on edge through out most of the game, I loved it. Nothing scared me as bad as the Licker through the one way window or gave me the anxiety the radio gave me every time it made static in Silent Hill(although the tub scene would top those on a list... I'm talking over all game in this instance) it still deserves a spot more than half the stuff on this list. Dead Space had potential but with the character being so agile I never really got scared in that game. I don't understand why Amnesia is on here at all, if it is scary why isn't SH Shattered Memories on here too? Never played STALKER so can't say anything there... played Doom 3 years later so it didn't get me, I never liked the FEAR games(still haven't played 3 and ... is there a 4th?) Fatal Frame seems promising, I'll have to try them if they ever make it to America on the Wii. Now... Condemned, why not the second one? 2 was the best because of the Bear, that scene had me running... from the controller Lol, I had to stop playing and try it later.
  • Stabby_Joe - November 2, 2012 5:03 a.m.

Regardless to whether you personally find it scary or not, the game was to a wide group of gamers. I don't find most games scary at all but do give credit where credit is due nonetheless.
  • BladedFalcon - November 2, 2012 7:23 a.m.

Well yes, and like I stated, I do loved it, and i think it's a really good game. It's just that, again, It's not that I didn't find it had scary moments, but that the whole horror atmosphere was very uneven, specially when you took control of the later, more modern characters.(Such as the French soldier and the fireman.) At times it's not even that it's not scary, it's that it doesn't even TRY to be scary, and like I mentioned before, even the music in some stages sounded more like an action game or an adventure game than a horror game. Which is why I don't really feel it belongs at the top of the horror games list, not because it isn't a good, possibly overall better game than most others in this list, but because I don't feel it's that committed to the horror genre. Which is probably why RE4 isn't here either, despite being such a great and acclaimed game.
  • musashi1596 - November 1, 2012 5:45 p.m.

I so desperately wish the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series made the transition to console. Can't play it on PC for the life of me.
  • Turtman - November 1, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Amnesia Amnesia Amnesia (and the spiritual prequel: the Penumbra series)
  • Redeater - November 1, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Slender isn't scary period. It's the equivalent of one of those soothing videos with a quick image flash and scream at the end. I love the choice for number one and severely wish I could play Stalker. That game was so brokenly shipped it isn't funny. I just bought all three stalker games and they either have 15 minute load screens (apparently pretty common with new video drivers) or the game just chugs along and crashes!
  • BladedFalcon - November 1, 2012 7:06 p.m.

"Slender isn't scary period." Quick reminder, making those kinds of absolute statements on something as subjective as a manipulation of an emotion, (Horror)when you are not even an authority in the matter only make you sound like a douche and undermine any actual credibility your later arguments might have. As for the argument itself... "It's the equivalent of one of those soothing videos with a quick image flash and scream at the end." Huh... I had no idea suddenly finding yourself in a dark, desolated forest with disturbing notes scattered around abandoned landmarks and having nothing on you but a lantern could be a soothing experience... Is that the way you spend your holidays man? if so, top respect!
  • taokaka - November 1, 2012 10:38 p.m.

"Huh... I had no idea suddenly finding yourself in a dark, desolated forest with disturbing notes scattered around abandoned landmarks and having nothing on you but a lantern could be a soothing experience... Is that the way you spend your holidays man? if so, top respect!" Quick reminder, making those kinds of absolute statements on something as subjective as a manipulation of an emotion, (soothingivityness)when you are not even an authority in the matter only make you sound like a douche and undermine any actual credibility your later arguments might have. Sorry but I just had to do that even if your overall argument made perfect sense.