Pokemon Go special items are vital tools for Pokemon evolution. Whether you’ve just picked up the game for the first time since launch or are a daily player, these special items are key to filling up that Pokedex. These special evolution items only work with certain Pokemon and since you can’t buy them in the shop, it’s a case of getting out into the world and hunting them down on the hoof. The good news is that whether you are looking for a Sun or Sinnoh Stone, there are some helpful hints to make sure you can fill up your Pokedex as fast as possible. Here’s our Pokemon Go special items guide and exactly which Pokemon to use them on.
- Pokemon Go tips
- Pokemon Go trading guide
- How to catch a Spinda in Pokemon Go
- How to catch a Ditto in Pokemon Go
- Pokemon Go Shiny Pokemon guide
How to get special items in Pokemon Go
Now, I don’t want to sound like a nagging Poke-parent - ironic given how lax parents are in the main games - but it’s time to up your game and start playing Pokemon Go every day. Yep, on your feet soldier. If you aren’t already, this small step will guarantee you a Pokemon Go special item every seven days from your seven day Pokestop streak and increase your odds of finding a Pokemon Go Sinnoh Stone.
Regular special items such as Up-Grades and King’s Rocks sometimes even drop from regular Poke Stops but making sure to spin a Poke Stop every day and working towards your streak will ensure you get at least one every week. Bear in mind though that it’s impossible to predict what you’ll get so you might have to see a few Metal Coats before you find the Sun Stone you want.
The Sinnoh Stone, introduced with gen 4, is a significantly trickier find but not impossible. There are two main ways to find a Sinnoh Stone. The first is to complete your seven day research breakthrough tasks. This essentially means earning one stamp each day until you earn a legendary Pokemon encounter. If you’re lucky, at the same time, you’ll earn a Sinnoh Stone but they are not guaranteed. The second way to find one is to take part in trainer battles via PvP. Sinnoh Stones have been known to drop for both winners and losers. Good luck!
What do special items do in Pokemon Go?
If you’ve spun a Pokestop for the seventh day in a row or finished your weekly research breakthrough task and found a brand new shiny thing you’ve never seen before, you can say hello to your first Pokemon Go special item. You might even have a few you don’t know you have, so pop into your items list and have a quick scroll.
Special items were introduced with the Gen 2 update all the way back in 2017 and mean a whole stack of new ‘mon via evolution if you hoard your candy just right. So far, we’ve only got one fourth generation item, the Sinnoh Stone, but you’re going to need it for a stack of 4th generation Pokemon evolutions. More on that below but the current special items are as follows:
- Dragon Scale
- King’s Rock
- Metal Coat
- Sun Stone
- Sinnoh Stone
Each one can be used to evolve one of your existing Pokemon into a new evolution. Below are each of the ways you can use special items.
How to use the Sinnoh Stone in Pokemon Go
Got your first Sinnoh Stone? Well you have a choice ahead of you as this gen 4 special item can be used on no less than eleven different Pokemon. How you choose is up to you. Maybe you could pick them out of an Ash-style baseball cap? Blindly choose with your finger? Or, y’know, start with Togekiss because cute. Here are all the possible evolutions.
- Sneasel evolves into Weavile with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Sneasel candy
- Electabuzz evolves into Electivire with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Electabuzz candy
- Roselia evolves into Roserade with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Roselia candy
- Rhydon evolves into Rhyperior with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Rhyhorn candy
- Murkrow evolves into Honchkrow with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Murkrow candy
- Porygon2 evolves into Porygon-Z with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Porygon candy
- Togetic evolves into Togekiss with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Togepi candy
- Magmar evolves into Magmortar with Sinnoh Stone and 100 candy
- Misdreavus evolves into Mismagius with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Magmar candy
- Gligar evolves into Gliscor with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Gligar candy
- Duskull evolves into Dusknoir with Sinnoh Stone and 100 Duskull candy
How to use the Dragon Scale in Pokemon Go
The good news is that you can only use your Dragon Scale on one specific Pokemon but you’re going to want to take a trip to the seaside or your nearest river. Combo up the Dragon Scale with 100 Horsea candies to evolve Seadra into Kingdra.
- Seadra evolves into Kingdra with Dragon Scale and 100 Horsea candy
How to use the King’s Rock in Pokemon Go
Now here’s where the choices come in. King’s Rock can be used in two different ways, which means you might already have the candies you need for at least one Pokemon evolution.
Kings’ Rock can not only evolve Poliwhirl into the froglike Politoed, it also turns Slowpoke into Slow King. As ever you’re going to need serious candies for both Pokemon.
- Poliwhirl evolves into Politoed with King’s Rock and 100 Poliwag candy
- Slowpoke evolves into Slow King with King’s Rock and 50 Slowpoke candy
How to use the Sun Stone in Pokemon Go
What’s with all these choices? Is Niantic trying to make this as hard as possible? You decide. Not only will Sun Stone let you evolve Gloom into Bellossom, but also the adorable Sunkern into the equally delightful Sunflora. The latter here is the easiest of the two if you’re blessed with a local garden or even golf course.
- Gloom evolves into Bellossom with Sun Stone and 100 Oddish candy
- Sunkern evolves into Sunflora with Sun Stone and 50 Sunkern candy
How to use the Up-Grade in Pokemon Go
Finally, another one shot special item. Pokemon Go’s Up-Grade is only used to evolve the oddly cute Porygon into Porygon2, provided you’ve got enough candy.
- Porygon evolves into Porygon2 with Up-Grade and 50 Porygon candy
As ever, whenever you’re evolving, try and wait until you’ve got a good few evolutions available and the crack a Lucky Egg to double your XP. Double this up with a good old Pidgey evolution grind for maximum XP boost.