Meet Meltan. This brand new Generation 8 Mythical Pokemon is making an appearance both in Pokemon Go and Pokemon Let's Go, and there are only a couple of ways to get it, and it's huge evolution Melmetal.
You need to either:
1. Transfer a Pokemon from Pokemon Go to Pokemon Let's Go in order to get a special box in Pokemon Go that will release Meltan into the world.
2. Complete all 10 stages of Professor Willow's Let's GO, Meltan special task
So hold onto your bolts, because here are all the steps for how to get Meltan in Pokemon Go and Pokemon Let's Go:
How to get Meltan if you own Pokemon Let's Go
1. Transfer a Pokemon from Pokemon Go to Let's Go
To get anywhere near you're going to have to transfer a Pokemon from Pokemon Go to Pokemon Let's Go. It can be any Pokemon at all, all you need to do is to transfer it via the Go Park in Fuchsia City.
Once you've done that, you'll get some tasty XP, but also a Mystery Box, and it's this unusual item that holds the key to getting your trainer hands on a Meltan.
2. Open up the Mystery Box you receive in Pokemon Go
You'll find the Mystery Box inside the item pocket in Pokemon Go, nestled there just waiting to be opened. Once you've chosen to open it, it'll remain open for 30 minutes, spewing out Meltan into the world. It's not clear yet whether the Meltan that you release into the world show up for other trainers, but we'll test that as soon as we can and report back.
Then, once the box has closed, you'll have seven days to open it back up again, after which point you'll need transfer a Pokemon from Go to Let's Go again to get a new Mystery Box.
It seems like you can open the Mystery Box once per day, so you won't be able to absolutely spam it within a 24 hour period. We're still testing this though, so we'll bring you the updates as we have them.
3. Catch every Meltan the pops out of it
Of course, the ultimate goal of opening the Mystery Box is to nab all the Meltan that emerge from it, and over the course of that half an hour you'll get quite a few of the little beasties. Catch them, and tuck them away in your Pokemon Go box. From here you can trade them to fellow Pokemon Go players, or try to evolve it.
4. Transfer your Melmetal into Pokemon Let's Go
Or, you can transfer one (or more) into Pokemon Let's Go in order to add it to your Pokedex there. It's the only way that you can get Meltan, and its evolution Melmetal, in Pokemon Let's Go, so it's worth booting up your Pokemon Go account even if your PokeBox has gotten a little dusty.
How to get Meltan in Pokemon Go only
In order to get Meltan only in Pokemon Go, you'll need to complete all 10 stages of Professor Willow's brand new special task entitled Let's GO, Meltan. These are as follows:
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 1/9
- Spin 5 PokeStops or Gyms (500XP)
- Catch 10 Pokemon (500XP)
- Transfer 5 Pokemon
Reward: 1000 Stardust, 10 Poke Balls, one Incubator
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 2/9
- Earn 2 Candies walking with your Buddy Pokemon (1000XP)
- Make 10 Great Throws (1000XP)
- Hatch three eggs (1000XP)
Reward: 2000 Stardust, two Lucky Eggs, one Fast TM
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 3/9
- Catch a Ditto in Pokemon Go (1500XP)
- Win 2 Gym Battles (1500XP)
- Battle in two Raids (1500XP)
Reward: 10 Great Balls, three Incense, three Max Revive
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 4/9
- Catch five Steel-type Pokemon (2000XP)
- Catch five Electric-type Pokemon (2000XP)
- Earn five Candies walking with your Buddy Pokemon (2000XP)
Reward: 4000 Stardust, five Pinap Berries, five Rare Candies
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 5/9
- Evolve a Grimer (2500XP)
- Catch five Slugma or Gulpin (2500XP)
- Make 20 Great Throws (2500XP)
Reward: 5000 Stardust, 20 Great Balls, five Lure Modules
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 6/9
- Evolve a Magnemite (3000XP)
- Catch five Exeggcute (3000XP)
- Battle in 10 Raids (3000XP)
Reward: One Silver Pinap berry, one Metal Coat, 10 Ultra Ball
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 7/9
- Evolve one Drowzee (3500XP)
- Catch one Cubone (3500XP)
- Evolve one Scyther (3500XP)
Reward: 10 Ultra Balls, one Charged TM, three Premium Raid Passes
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 8/9
- Catch two Omanyte or Kabuto (4000XP)
- Catch two Lileep or Anorith (4000XP)
- Catch an Aerodactyl (4000XP)
Reward: 8000 Stardust, Meltan encounter, one Star Piece
Let's Go, Meltan - Step 9/9
- Catch Meltan
Reward: three lots of 4500XP, 9000 Stardust, one Super Incubator, five Meltan candy
How to evolve Meltan into Melmetal
If you want to evolve Meltan in Pokemon Go into the formidable Melmetal, you're going to need a whopping 400 Meltan candies, so get some Pinaps fed to all the Meltan that come out of your special Mystery Box.
As for evolving Meltan in Pokemon Let's Go, you can either trade in your evolved Melmetal from Pokemon Go, or you can train your Meltan up in-game. We're doing that at the moment, and will bring news of the level Meltan evolves at in due course.