The God of War Ragnarok Treasure maps and buried treasure locations are a major string of side quests in which Kratos becomes a bit more of a pirate explorer, using the old maps and clues on them to find loot and resources hidden in spots buried underground. It's not an easy task - some of the maps can be very cryptic or hard to decipher, and the size of God of War Ragnarok's maps mean that exploration without a hint can take a very, very long time. Don't worry though - we'll help you find all that buried treasure and the various treasure map locations in God of War Ragnarok, so you can head back to Midgard with a sack full of booty.
All God of War Ragnarok Treasure Map locations
The God of War Ragnarok treasure map locations number 10 in total, divided across the Nine Realms as so:
- Midgard: 2
- Svartalfheim: 3
- Alfheim: 2
- Vanaheim: 3
Get the best gear with our God of War Ragnarok Best Armor list. From the best starter stuff to the late game essentials and more specialists set ups!
Not every realm has buried treasure in it as it's mainly something you'll find and search for in larger areas with more opportunity for exploration. The rewards also vary depending on the treasure - God of War Ragnarok Shattered Runes are frequently found for example, but without prior knowledge, there's no way of knowing what you'll get until you've dug it up.
Once you have the map, it's corresponding treasure is marked with a glowing gold glint over a slightly disturbed pile of dirt. However, there's no way to get the treasure without getting the map first. Even if you know the location of a treasure and head there first, there'll be no prompt to dig it up until you have the matching map. To check what you have you'll find Treasure maps listed as "lore" in the map legend, while the actual loot is marked as "buried treasure".
Here are the locations of all the 10 God of War Ragnarok Treasure maps and the solutions to their puzzles, arranged by realm.
Midgard Treasure Map locations and solutions
The Midgard treasure maps all point to the Lake of Nine although one of the rewards found here is revealed by a map from a different realm altogether. If you are exploring the realm make sure to also grab the God of War Ragnarok Mystical Relic while you're here. Check out guide there for more details on this secret quest with a huge reward.
Viking's Gift treasure map
- Map Location: Found on the West side of the Raider Fort, Northwest of Tyr's Temple on the Lake of Nine.
- Treasure Location: Head to the East of the Lake of Nine, and take the lower path towards the Raider Hideout. Before you go in, you'll see a pair of huge metal doors - the treasure lies just in front of them.
- Reward: Midgard's Justice Amulet Enchantment (12 Runic, 3 Cooldown), Shattered Rune (25), Stonewood (1), Dwarven Steel (1), Honed Metal (1)
Demise of Dagestr trasure map
- Map Location: The treasure might be in Midgard, but the map is in Svartalfheim, in the North of the Sverd Sands. Head back into the mine from the lower gateway once you've unlocked the Draupnir Spear and almost immediately you'll see a point where you can stick one in the wall to climb up. Above is the body of a Dwarf, with the map lying next to her.
- Treasure Location: Head to Midgard, to the Western Lake of Nine. Just North of the Raider Fort is a Realm Tower, with a small path on its left side. Head down it to find the corpse of a dragon, with the treasure under its head.
- Reward: Helheim's Force Amulet Enchantment (12 Strength, 3 Vitality), Shattered Rune (40), Asgardian Ingot (2), Petrified Bone (2), Luminous Alloy (2)
Svartalfheim Treasure Map locations and solutions
Svartalfheim is probably the first areas you'll find a treasure map, as the first area you get to explore properly. Once you've cleared the God of War Ragnarok waterwheel puzzle that introduces you to this area, you'll have the chance to start treasure hunting.
Fruits of Industry treasure map
- Map Location: Head to Dragon Beach and work Northwards through Alberich's Hollow, including the boss fight with Ormstunga. Once you emerge back outside, before kicking down the chain, head to the right of the platform to find the map.
- Treasure Location: At the landing beach for Modvitnir's Rig, on the Southern side of the water East of Nidavellir. When you dock, check the beach's right side for the buried treasure.
- Reward: Svartalfheim's Lifeblood Amulet Enchantment (3 Defense, 12 Vitality), Shattered Rune (40), Petrified Bone (1), Luminous Alloy (1), Asgardian Ingot (1)
Washed Ashore treasure map
- Map Location: Head to Alberich Island, North of the Bay of Bounty. South of that is a little stone island with a crane and a separated dock that forms a semi-circle - the map is lying beneath the freezable gear attached to the crane, on its West side.
- Treasure Location: North of Nidavellir, on the East side of the water, is Dragon Beach. Dock your boat and head to the Southernmost point to find a massive skeleton - the Treasure is lying just before it.
- Reward: Jotunheim's Virtue Amulet Enchantment (3 Vitality, 12 Cooldown), Shattered Rune (40), Asgardian Ingot (1), Petrified Bone (1), Luminous Alloy (1),
Mining Glory treasure map
- Map Location: At the North-Eastern most point of Nidavellir. Once you have the Draupnir Spear, go to the top of the town and embed it in the (not especially obvious) steam vent to create a ledge up for you to reach a legendary chest, and the map next to it.
- Treasure Location: Head to the Applecore, and go to the central mining room, with the ascending spiral path in the center. At the lowest point of the spiral path is a spot where you can jump over a channel of water - and the treasure is buried there.
- Reward: Muspelheim's Blessing Amulet Enchantment (3 Runic, 12 Vitality), Shattered Rune (40), Asgardian Ingot (1), Petrified Bone (1), Luminous Alloy (1)
Alfheim Treasure Map locations and solutions
Alfheim has a couple of maps centred around the Barrens, the optional area of rough desert to the North of the map. You'll need to do the Song of the Sands Favors to unlock the full desert, so you'll have to go for a Hafgufa first if the loot isn't immediately in reach.
Vulture's Gold treasure map
- Map Location: Just lying at the beginning of the Canyons, the path that links the main Alfheim temple to the Barrens. Just head down there from the Strond gateway and you'll see it.
- Treasure Location: Head to the Barrens - at the Northeast side is a giant skeleton of some whale-like creature. Step into the skeleton's mouth to see the treasure glinting in the dirt.
- Reward: Lethal Detonation Accessory (Enemies killed from a Runic Arrow explode, dealing moderate damage around them), Shattered Rune (30), Stonewood (1), Dwarven Steel (1), Honed Metal (1)
Forgotten Tower treasure map
- Map Location: In the Easternmost tower of the Forbidden Sands, on a shelf next to the Legendary Chest in the main library.
- Treasure Location: At the Northernmost side of the Forbidden Sands, North of the entrance to the Burrows, is a raised courtyard with a locked door to a tower (if you haven't done the associated Favor yet). The treasure is to the left of the door.
- Reward: Alfheim's Virtue Amulet Enchantment (3 Strength, 12 Luck), Shattered Rune (10), Stonewood (1), Dwarven Steel (1), Honed Metal (1)
Vanaheim Treasure Map locations and solutions
Like Alfheim, some of the treasure here is found in optional areas, rather than the main path. To get the final treasure, you'll need to have found and flooded the Crater by completing the related questlines, which means completing the Scent of Survival, For Vanaheim! and Return of the River Favors in that order (each Favor completed unlocks access to the next one).
Under the Rainbow treasure map
- Map Location: Go to Noatun's Garden, the optional Vanaheim area along the River Delta. At the very Northernmost point, hidden to the right of the building, is a little shrouded area at the forest's edge with the map lying there.
- Treasure Location: Head to the Goddess Falls at the Southwest most point of Vanaheim. At the end of the river, dock and climb the cliffs towards the Vanir Shrine. When you reach the plateau with the Nornir chest, walk to the very edge of the cliff to see the treasure.
- Reward: Nilfheim's Virtue Amulet Enchantment (3 Defense, 12 Cooldown), Shattered Rune (10), Stonewood (1), Dwarven Steel (1), Honed Metal (1)
Giant's Toes treasure map
- Map Location: As part of the Freya's Missing Peace Favor, you'll get to go to the Vanir Shrine in the Southwest map. In the main courtyard with the two scorn poles, check the Northern wall - tucked to the side is the map on the floor.
- Treasure Location: Head to the Blacksmith's Shop and Mystic Gateway on the River Delta, marked above. Just in the alcove behind the Gateway is the buried treasure!
- Reward: Vanaheim's Power (12 Defense, 3 Luck), Shattered Rune (10), Stonewood (1), Dwarven Steel (1), Honed Metal (1)
A Scar is Born treasure map
- Map Location: After flooding the Vanaheim Crater as part of the Return of the River Favor, take the boat to the small island with the rift, near the tunnel entrance to the Jungle. The map is on the boat's North side.
- Treasure Location: In the same crater, go to the East side of the Plains where you find the tunnel leading down towards the Sinkhole region. Inside the curved, curling building that sits on the border, the treasure is waiting inside.
- Reward: Asgard's Justice (3 Cooldown, 12 Luck), Shattered Rune (75), Asgardian Ingot (4), Petrified Bone (4), Luminous Alloy (4)