The God of War Ragnarok Nornir Chest locations are spread all over the various realms, and each one contains either an Idunn Apple or Horn of Blood Mead that you can consume to boost your health and rage. Nornir Chests aren't quite as common as the God of War Ragnarok Ravens, with only 35 chests versus 48 morbid corvids to find, but Nornir Chests take a little more effort, as each one has a three seals that need to be opened either by spinning levers, sitting fire to braziers, blowing up statues or just generally something where you interact with nearby runes. With 15 Idunn Apples and 15 Horns of Blood Mead total in God of War Ragnarok, the rest all contain enchantments, materials, Hacksilver and even a Chaos Flame. To help you find all 35 of these Nornir chests in God of War Ragnarok, we've got all their locations listed right here, as well as solutions for all the rune puzzles.
God of War Ragnarok Nornir chest locations and solutions
God of War Ragnarok Svartalfheim Nornir Chests
1 Aurvengar Wetlands Nornir chest 1
This Svartalfheim Nornir chest is likely the first one you'll find when you start your journey proper. When you reach a waterwheel blocking your way forward head to the dock to the right and then over the geyser (we have the God of War Ragnarok waterwheel block puzzle to help you here as well). You'll see the chest on your right immediately after jumping the geyser and need to smash three urns to open it. Here's where to find all the urns:
1. The first and second urns are immediately to the left and right of the chest
2. To find the third urn, use your axe to freeze the geyser you saw immediately before jumping over to reach the chest. The urn is up in the new area you can reach with the water frozen.
2 Aurvengar Wetlands Nornir chest 2
The second Nornir chest is accessible via a small tunnel on the left hand side of the water channel before you reach the waterwheel gate. Look for a bright gold chest high up as you sail along. Head through the tunnel and to the dock where you'll see the chest ahead and to the right.
You'll need to spin three mechanisms to match the letters on the front of the chest to open it, and can find them here:
1. The first mechanism is found up in the area you can climb up to, on the left.
2. The second is immediately above the entrance to the area behind the chest full of monsters. Turn around and look back to see it.
3. The third spinning mechanism is behind the geyser to the right of the chest. Use your axe to freeze the water and see it clearly so you can read the symbols.
3. Radsvinn's Rig Nornir chest
The Nornir chest is on a platform surrounding the Radsvinn's Rig mining rig. Clear all the monsters first and once they're gone there are three braziers you need to light with the heavy aimed attack of your Chaos Blades. You'll find the braziers here:
1. The first brazier is right next to the nornir chest which you can see to the left in the image above.
2. The second brazier directly opposite, behind some broken railings. You can light it by throwing the axe into the ground behind the red pot so that it hits it on the return.
3. The final brazier is behind some barrels at the back of the platform. Blow them up with sound arrows to reveal it.
4 The Forge Nornir chest
You'll find this Nornir chest the first time you head to the forge, just after the train. However, you can't open it until you have the Draupnir Spear, as you'll need to spear and destroy three totems at once. When you have the spear (which unlocks as part of the story), follow the wooden path until it splits and take the right branch into the rocky area and keep turning right until you find the chest.
Here's where to find the totems you need to destroy, but remember you need to put a spear in each before you detonate them all in one go.
1. The first totem is just beyond the cliff edge directly behind the chest.
2. The second totem is nestled on the rock wall to the left of the chest.
3. To find the third totem head back toward the train platform and you'll see it on top of the rocks just where the wooden ramp starts.
5 Jarnsmida Pitmines Nornir chest
You'll find a Nornir chest as you pass through the Jarnsmida Pitmines when you reach a puzzle that needs you to freeze a waterwheel to lower a block to carry on. The chest will be immediately visible ahead of you once the block drops. You'll need to light three braziers to open it.
1. The first brazier is right next to the chest as you can see in the image above.
2. From the chest turn around and look down into the hole behind you, the second brazier is down there. If you haven't got your axe back from freezing the waterwheel, do that to move the block so you can drop down and reach it.
3. The final brazier is under the water feed that powers the wheel you used in the puzzle. While you can freeze the water to expose it, it'll go out as soon as you retrieve your axe, so light the other two braziers first to open the chest when you hit the third.
6 Myrkr Tunnels Nornir chest
This nornir chest can be found when you access the Myrkr Tunnels trapdoor at the train platform near the forge. You'll see the chest while on the mission that takes you into that area - you'll pass through a tunnel just after a room with two waterwheels, and see the chest directly ahead as you come out. You'll have to light three braziers to open it.
1. One brazier is in an alcove on the right of the tunnel that approaches the chest, hidden behind some boxes you'll need to smash to see it.
2. To find the second brazier go to the end of the corridor and look around the left hand corner.
3. The final brazier is in an alcove at the end of the corridor on the left. It's out of reach of you Blades so you'll need to use sigil arrows to create a chain reaction of explosions to light it.
7 Dragon Beach Nornir chest
You'll find this Svartalfheim Nornir chest on a beach with a statue of a dragon. To open it you'll have to break three seals all hidden behind geysers. Throw your axe at the base of the geysers to freeze them to reveal the seals. You don't need to keep the water frozen to destroy but it'll help you aim to see them first. Once you know where to aim, retrieve and use your axe to break them. Or use the Draupnir spear if you have it.
1. The first seal is behind a geyser directly behind the Nornir chest.
2. The second seal is behind a geyser on the beach by a crane.
3. The final seal is behind the geyser near the dragon statue. You can see it from the ground but there are bars blocking your aim. To hit it climb up the wooden platforms that overlook the beach to get a clear shot.
8 Alberich island Nornir chest
The Alberich island nornir chest is right at the top of the Svartalfheim map on a beach with a crane on one side, and a water wheel on the other. You'll need to ring three bells to open it and while you can see them all from the chest you'll need precise timing to ring them all at once, so read the full instructions below before you start.
1. The first bell is directly over the chest which you can see in the image above.
2. Turn around from the chest and you'll see a bell directly behind you, hanging from a crane. It's obstructed by bars so shoot the sound stone collar on the crane with sonic arrows to break it and lower the bell.
3. The final bell is to the right of the second, past the the wooden platform and hidden behind more bars. You can raise it into view by spinning the wooden panel next to it with the axe but it'll start falling as soon as you stop hitting it, so ring this one first before going after the others.
9 Applecore Nornir chest
This Applecore Nornir Chest is just around the corner from the mystical doorway you unlock as you pass through the area on a mission that takes you there. You'll need the Draupnir Spear to open it though, which also accesses the a shortcut back to the area once you have it. You'll have to destroy three seals at the same time, hence needing the spear - spike them all at once and then detonate all three.
1. The first seal is directly opposite the Mystical gateway.
2. The second is at the end of the corridor by the realm tear (if you've not already closed it) behind some rubble. You'll see a red pot you can explode to expose it.
3. To find the final seal turn right from the chest to a dead end that looks out into the cavern. You should be able to see a sparkle under a waterfall - freeze it with an axe to expose the seal.
10 Sverd Sands Nornir chest
You'll need the Draupnir Spear to reach this Nornir chest which is at the Sverd Sands entrance to the Applecore in God of War Ragnarok. Use the Sverd Sands Mystic Gateway and head down the slope to the left (or use the zipline if you've already made it). Where the area opens out at the bottom, look for the Draupnir spear hole in an alcove and use it to get to the higher level. Follow the path to the chest which needs three seals destroyed with the spear at the same time to open.
1. The first and second seal can be seen hanging to the left of the chest.
3. The third seal is on the alcove to the right of the chest. If you go here and turn back you'll be able to see all three at once.
God of War Ragnarok Alfheim Nornir Chests
1 The Strond Nornir Chest 1
You’ll find this Nornir Chest if you go slightly off the main path when you first get to Alfheim and head through the Strond. From the starting room, follow the path up some ledges and squeeze through a gap. As soon as you're through, turn left to find an opening in the rock where you can jump down to reach a lower area where there's a Nornir Chest. You’ll need to find and light three rune braziers using the Blades of Chaos to unlock this chest:
1. One brazier is opposite the chest near the edge of the cliff.
2. Follow the path to the right of the Nornir Chest until you reach the edge of the cliff. Look down and you’ll spot another brazier.
3. The final brazier is directly above the second one. However, to reach it go back to the narrow wall gap and then continue on the main path, climbing up two ledges. After you’ve grappled up to the second ledge, turn left and drop down to the lower level to reach the final brazier.
2 The Strond Nornir Chest 2
There's a second Strond Nornir Chest found to the right of the path leading to the Temple of Light. It needs the Draupnir Spear to open so you’ll have to unlock the chest on a return visit once you have it. Once you do you need to hit the following three statues with a Spear and then detonate them all together to unlock the chest:
1. From the Nornir Chest, turn right and you’ll see the first statue by the rock wall. It’s close to a fire pot.
2. From the Nornir Chest, turn around and head to the old tree on a rock – it’s the tree on the left if you were coming down the main path towards the temple. You’ll spot the second statue to the right of the tree’s roots.
3. Throw a spear into the glowing yellow cracks in the wall to the left of the Nornir Chest and detonate it and reveal a small cave. You’ll be able to see a statue out on a ledge across a pit inside. (You can also see this statue from the path near the temple’s main doorway.)
3 Temple of Light Nornir Chest
Once you’re inside the Temple of Light you’ll fight some enemies and cross a light bridge. You’ll find a Nornir chest on the right that is unlocked by ringing three hanging rune bells at once. Here’s where you can find each bell and the order you should hit them in to unlock the chest easily. You'll need to do the following sequence in one go:
1. Go down the passage to the right of the Nornir Chest and stop at the pink Twilight Stone panel on the wall to the right. You’ll notice a metal grate blocking the window where one of the hanging runes is but won’t be able to hit it. Shoot the green soundstone in front of the hanging rune to remove the obstruction. Then go back to the Nornir Chest and throw the Leviathan Axe down the passage at the Twilight Stone, so it bounces and hits the hanging rune...
2. ...quickly recall the axe and throw it at the hanging rune immediately on the Nornir Chest’s left...
3. ...finally, step slightly left and look up from the previous rune to spot the final one hanging high up in a garde.n area. Throw the axe to hit it and, if you were quick enough, the Nornir Chest should unlock.
4 The Barrens Nornir Chest
You'll find this Alfheim Nornir chest in an Elven building covered in hive matter, at the north of the Barrens. The chest, and one of the three braziers required to unlock it, are obscured by the hive matter, so you need to use the Leviathan Axe to clear it first. Head around the back of the structure and you’ll be able to line up the shot to hit all the nodules at once. When it’s clear, you can ignite the following three braziers:
1. You can find one brazier right next to the Nornir Chest in front of the Elven structure.
2. From the first brazier, walk around the structure and you’ll spot a brazier out in the open on a rock.
3. Another brazier is above the Nornir Chest on the roof of the building. Use the axe to hit the explosive pot to the right, and the blast will ignite the brazier.
5 The Below Nornir Chest
You’ll reach the Below as part of the Secret of the Sands Favor in the Barrens of Alfheim. Follow the main path until after you’ve just descended out of a building and onto a rock cliff using a zipline. From here, grapple and climb across the gap and drop down to a lower level to find a Nornir Chest facing a wooden gate you can raise, blocking a tunnel to the building you just left. This chest is unlocked by hitting three hanging rune bells at the same time. Here’s where to find them and the order to best hit them in to unlock the chest:
1. Use the axe and the Twilight Stone to clear the hive matter blocking the cliff. Now grapple through the new opening and climb up and right along the tall pillar. This will allow you to reach a small structure nearly above the Nornir Chest - one of the hanging rune bells is in there. Make sure you open the gate first, then hit the bell with the axe, run out the gate, and drop down to the Nornir Chest.
2. The next rune is nearly opposite the Nornir Chest so throw the axe at it as you get close.
3. The final hanging bell is opposite the Nornir Chest that was behind the wooden gate you raised earlier. Hit this rune and you should have unlocked the Nornir Chest, but if you weren’t quick enough try again.
6 The Forbidden Sands Nornir Chest 1
To get this Nornir Chest in Forbidden Sands you need to head to the southwest area and look for the collapsed pillar you need to duck under to reach a small arena. The Nornir Chest is sitting in this arena but can only be opened once you’ve lit three nearby braziers, which can be found in the following locations:
1. One brazier is to the right of the Nornir Chest against the arena wall.
2. Head back under the pillar, out of the arena. Almost straight ahead you’ll see another brazier on top of a rock tower. You need to set up a chain of Sigil Arrows to reach it.
3. From the previous brazier, turn right and head east to a wide archway rock formation. The last brazier is nestled in the rock stack at the end of the formation and must be lit using more Sigil Arrows.
7 The Forbidden Sands Nornir Chest 2
The second Forbidden Sands Nornir Chest, and final Alfheim one, can be found under the Elven Sanctum in the northeast area. Standing at the base of the sanctum, you’ll spot what looks like a sealed door in the rock wall. Smash the pile of rocks in front to reveal a crawl space to get inside. The Nornir Chest is at the end of the path and is unlocked by lighting three braziers, but it’s also covered in hive matter, so you’ll need to remove that first by bouncing the Leviathan Axe off some Twilight Stones, starting with the highest one above the chest. Sigil Arrows are essential to igniting all three of these braziers, and remember that, while you can only have three Sigils active at a time, you can fire multiple arrows into the same Sigil to expand its area of effect.
Here’s how to light the three braziers for this chest:
1. One brazier is on a chunk of rock to the left of the main path. Fire a Sigil Arrow at the lit campfire to ignite the nearby brazier.
2. Another brazier is opposite the first one, on the right side of the main path next to a stone pillar. Use the lit campfire to the left of the brazier and create a chain of Sigil Arrows that links the brazier to the fire to light it.
3. The third brazier is behind a hive matter door above the previous brazier that can only be opened by hitting it with a Sonic Arrow. To light it use the previous brazier as your fire source. Start by quickly setting up a chain of Sigil Arrows that almost links these two braziers. Next, quickly fire a Sonic Arrow at the door, then a Sigil Arrow at the lit brazier to complete the chain and set off an explosive chain reaction that lights the final brazier. This one's tricky to get right as you’ve got to be quick.
God of War Ragnarok Vanaheim Nornir Chests
1 Southern Wilds Nornir chest
You'll encounter this Nornir chest the first time you're in Vanaheim. You'll have to spin three mechanisms to match the runes on the chest, as well as burn vines away from two of the mechanisms. You can do that with the heavy R2 ranged attack of the Chaos Blades.
1. The first mechanism is high on a rock immediately to the left of the chest.
2. The second one is to the right on a rock covered in vines you'll have to burn off.
3. The final mechanism is back the way you came, up on some rocks covered in vines that you'll need to burn off. you can reach them where they're growing to the left of the mechanism.
2 The Abandoned Village Nornir chest
You'll encounter this Nornir chest during the mission 'Find a way to cross the broken bridge'. The chest is on the other side of the river you're trying to cross during this this objective and the overall aim is to use a fire bucket to burn away vines to get across. There are two braziers you can light as you go, however, and while you can do them after if you missed it you'll save time if you light them as you go.
1. The bridge puzzle will see you on a platform facing the vines you need to burn away to progress. However, from the initial platform you can bring the fire bucket around to you and then swing it left to light a brazier hidden just to the side. Also, note the brazier hidden in the tree roots opposite for the next stage.
2. The puzzle will then take you around to the left to a platform where pulling the hanging fire bucket towards you will swing it into the vines ahead and remove them to open the way forward. While you're here, also yank the bucket left, again, to hit a brazier hidden in the tree's roots.
3. Once across the broken bridge you can double back around to the right to reach the river bank. Here you'll find the nornir chest and a third and final brazier to light.
3 Cliffside Ruins Nornir chest
You'll find this God of War Ragnarok Nornir Chest on a small beach at the Cliffside Ruins in the River Delta area - look out for God of War Ragnarok Lunda armor pieces while you're out here. It's in the cliffs on the right hand side of the area, just over a small jump. You'll need to spin three mechanisms to open it, some of which require a few steps to access. Here's where to find them:
1. The first mechanism is immediately to the right of the chest. You'll need to jump over the small gully and look back to see it. Use sigil arrows to reach an area you can hit with your blades, and then chain explosions to burn the plants away.
2. To see the second mechanism climb up the towers via the wall to the far left of the chest's position. From the tower nearest the main cliff face, with a chain bound in plants you can release, look to the cliff and down a hole to find the mechanism.
3. The final mechanism can only be seen from the opposite shore where the dwarf workshop is. Take a boat or zip line over and look back to see it.
4 Goddess Falls Nornir chest
You'll find this chest climbing the falls at Godess Falls. The chest is to the right of the water fall on a platform you can swing over to. Opening it requires lighting three braziers, some of which need sigil arrows to reach.
1. The first brazier is on top of the waterfall just before you reach the chest. You'll need to stack sigil arrows up the central column to reach an area you can hit with the Blades of Chaos to chain an explosion and light it.
2. From the first brazier keep heading left along the cliff face to find the second one. Again you'll need to stack a chain of sigil arrows and explosions to reach it.
3. Head back to the nornir chest and past it to find the third brazier. Here you'll need to chain sigil explosions across two small stumps in the water to reach it.
5 The Veiled Passage Nornir chest
This Vanaheim Nornir chest can be seen from the boat as you pass through The Veiled Passage. It's a unique puzzles as you'll need to use sigil arrow and the fire bomb you can pick up nearby to ring all the bells at once.
The bells are on the other side of the river. Clear the vines from the right hand one using a sigil arrow and a fire bob, then chain sigil arrows together to touch all three bells so that a single fire bomb can cause three explosions and ring them at once. Remember you can shoot sigil arrows multiple times to increase their size if you're having trouble reaching anything.
6 Eastern Barri Woods Nornir chest
This nornir chest can be found shortly after you reach the Eastern Barri Woods area inside a small collapsed building. There are three mechanisms to spin in the following locations:
1. The first mechanism is immediately to the left of the chest.
2. The second mechanism is down a long path to the left of the chest, under a dome. There a Wulver at the end to fight if you've not met them already.
3. The final mechanism is almost immediately to the right, behind some vines you'll need to burn away. Use sigil arrows if you can't reach it.
God of War Ragnarok Midgard Nornir Chests
1 Well of Urd Nornir chest
You'll find your first Midgard Nornir chest in the far northwest of the map towards the Well of Urd, which you'll encounter during the Word of Fate mission. You'll have to light three brazier as you climb the cliff face to open it.
1. The first brazier is just to the right of the chest.
2. You'll have to climb up to the top to reach the second brazier which you can see if you turn around and look back.
3. The final brazier can be reached if you drop down a level from the top where you lit the second one, you'll can also find a chest there.
2 The Oarsman Nornir chest
You'll see this God of War Ragnarok Nornir chest as soon as you enter the underground Oarsman area. However, you won't be able to open it until you complete the mission that's brought you here and come back into the chest area through the initially locked gate that's blocking one of the bells you need to ring. Once you've opened the gate and have a clear line of sight to all three bells, you can ring them all at once and open the chest. Working from left to right from the bell in the hole in the wall seems to be the easiest order.
3 Raider Hideout Nornir chest
This nornir chest can be found in the raider camp you find via an entrance by the huge doors at the end of Tyr's Temple. You'll have to clear the raiders out first, and then use sigil arrows and the fire bombs you find in side to light three braziers to open the chest.
1. The first brazier is behind the red vines to the left of the chest. Use a sigil arrow and your Blades to burn it away and then use a couple of chained sigil arrows to reach with your blades again.
2. The second brazier is behind some gold rubble in a hole between the red wall hangings. Use a fire bomb to remove the rubble and then another to light it.
3. The final Brazier is at the back of the cave-like hole near where you came in. The angle means you can't hit it directly with a fire bomb because o the way it arcs, so stack up some sigil arrows below to where you can hit the pillar with your throw.