Topics

Best of GR

• malti001 - July 16, 2013 12:20 p.m.

What about Mafia 2? I literally couldn't put the game down until I knew what was going to happen to the characters-that's how much I cared about them (which is rare for a video game these days!)
  • n00b - July 15, 2013 6:57 p.m.

where is no more heroes and killer 7?
  • ~LanceR. - July 15, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Heavy Rain, Tales of Symphonia and Uncharted has great stories as well.
  • JHidden - July 15, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Hmmm, what about 999 Nine Hours,Nine Persons,Nine Doors. Kind of underappreciated but if you played it youll probably understand
  • lionheart1986 - July 15, 2013 8:21 a.m.

BioShock is my favorite of all the games on this list. I've yet to play Silent Hill 2 though... I think an honorable mention would be Final Fantasy Tactics. During a time where everyone I knew was going crazy for FFVII's story; I was engrossed in the complicated plot that was The Lion War. You could equate the many twist and turns to the War of the Roses, or even Game of Thrones, but the amount of political and religious conflicts going on made your head spin and gives you a true sense of why war can never be black and white, and never is. And the way the story is told is brilliant; you are basically playing the events of the Lion War from a point of view (Ramza) that is secretly removed from the history books. To think that everything you and your party is doing, is held from history for many many years, makes you wonder what stories in our own wars have never been told, that truly shaped their outcomes.
  • gilgamesh310 - July 14, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 should be on a worst game stories list. I don't know what the hell it's doing here.
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:21 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 had an amazing story. I dont know what the hell your comment is doing here.
  • Dyfan - July 14, 2013 12:24 p.m.

I get the feeling that most people just flipped through the games without actually reading the explanations under each one. for example, L.A. Noire appears to have been listed less for it's overall story and more for the writing and emotion put into the interrogation and investigation scenes.
  • phoenixwright13 - July 14, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Can you put Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations or Apollo Justice on this list?
  • PBC13 - July 14, 2013 10:54 a.m.

I think Grand Theft Auto IV deserves a place in a list like this. I'd go as far so to say in the top 5. In fact it would be my personal number 1. It actually did something new with a typical gangster/underworld story for a start. Gone is the usual American Italian or Triad type stuff that is at the centre of most crime games. Replaced with a more modern tale of immigrants that is actually relevant in today's world. It twists and turns subtly and cleverly with the main plot and subplot intertwining over the course of the main game. It has more depth and layering than almost any other game I have ever played. It may not have the immediacy of games like The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption, but within the narrative is a more complex and interesting story than almost anything else gaming has produced. And that is without even considering the extra depth that the two spin off stories add. Or to bring up the collection of great new Rockstar characters that are more than just funny but actually reflect a little on the world Rockstar are attempting to portray. To a lot of people Grand Theft Auto IV was very over-rated - I am starting to think it's actually the most under-rated game of this generation.
  • lionheart1986 - July 15, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I would agree with your statement that it is probably more under-rated for how great the story is. Especially because I feel that the story improved on San Andreas, which was also a fantastic and made it to the list; but GTA IV should be here too. Also The Ballad of Gay Tony had a great story as well. Although that was more fun and entertaining, it did a great job of connecting all the dots between the main GTA narrative and the DLC.
  • Killingjoke - July 14, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I started Silent Hill 2. 2 years ago and yet to finish it. Everyone says its such a great game, I should go back.
  • JENNYPICCOLO - July 17, 2013 4:12 p.m.

you will be extremely glad you did
  • sephex - July 14, 2013 3:37 a.m.

Hail to the number 1! I would have put Metal Gear Solid (the first) and maybe Shadow of The Colossus as well.
  • MD-Stranger - July 14, 2013 12:53 a.m.

....You know, I was originally going to write a huge essay on why I thought LA Noire's story was a total hunk of bollocks, but instead I'm just going to link this (Obvious spoilers are obvious): http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/la-noire-has-problems Sums it up far better than I could. Oh, and on ME2, I liked the part where ME3 pretty much rendered it's main plot a total waste of time and ended up having sidequests do more to push the story along.
  • mademanrdo - July 13, 2013 11:02 p.m.

i think alpha protocol deserves a nod. that game gets no respect!
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Alpha Protocol had a terrible story.
  • winner2 - July 14, 2013 10:37 p.m.

That's because a lot of people agree that game sucks
  • ThundaGawd - July 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I find your lack of Shadow of the Colossus and Legend of Dragoon in this list is disappointing.
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Bioshock's story is that great? Don't get me wrong, Rapture is incredible and I love the backstory to the game's universe, but the story of the game itself, with the exception of the massive twist halfway through, really isn't that special. I really enjoyed the game, but saying its story is the 2nd best of any game ever is going a bit far, if you ask me.