Topics

Best of GR

• mademanrdo - July 13, 2013 11:02 p.m.

i think alpha protocol deserves a nod. that game gets no respect!
  • winner2 - July 14, 2013 10:37 p.m.

That's because a lot of people agree that game sucks
  • ThundaGawd - July 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I find your lack of Shadow of the Colossus and Legend of Dragoon in this list is disappointing.
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Bioshock's story is that great? Don't get me wrong, Rapture is incredible and I love the backstory to the game's universe, but the story of the game itself, with the exception of the massive twist halfway through, really isn't that special. I really enjoyed the game, but saying its story is the 2nd best of any game ever is going a bit far, if you ask me.
  • mademanrdo - July 13, 2013 11:01 p.m.

agreed
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Agreed as well
  • aberkromby - July 13, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Assassins Creed 2 was definitely the peak for that series. It was all pretty much downhill after that. The story became stupid after Lucy died (I'd say spoilers, but who really gives a shit.), the gameplay became bloated, and the main characters went from "hit-and-run assassin" to "one-man genocide machine with the powers of god to slaughter a thousand men in seconds."
  • jseph1234 - October 13, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Reported for being an asshole who didn't declare this as a spoiler, jerk!
  • aberkromby - October 13, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Probably could have reported me for profanity, and the mods would care a whole lot more than "spoiling" an awful ending to a mediocre game from a milked series that got old 4 games ago.
  • SDHoneymonster - July 13, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Shadow Of The Colossus? I know it's sparingly told, but it is a blinder.
  • brickman409 - July 13, 2013 2:48 p.m.

where did you get that high resolution fallout 2 picture? I'm guessing it's fan made
  • taokaka - July 13, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Good list, I think you covered the ones most people think of. Just some others I think are at least worth an honorable mention include the world ends with you, professor layton and the lost future, 999, valkyria chronicles, journey, flower and asura's wrath (not particularly deep or artistic but bloody enjoyable nevertheless). One of my other all time favourite stories are the ones in the blazblue games, their is so much amazingness in them but unfortunately it is hidden inside the fort knox of confusing exposition.
  • forestfire55 - July 13, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Just a couple things i would change, first, switch fallout 2 for 3. Fallout 2 was a very good game, but it just doesnt have the emotions you feel in fallout 3. And also, no portal 2, portal is one the best puzzle games of all time, but no body plays it for the story, that consists of a lovable, silent protagonist that has no personality whatsoever.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Actually, TONS of people played Portal for the story, and even more played Portal 2 for this same reason. I should know, I'm one of them. No one has ever claimed that Portal 2's story was good because of Chell. It's good because of Glados, Wheatley, Cave Johnson, and all the story behind the rise and fall of aperture science, which is told trough both on dialogue and also hidden thorough details in the world. Also, no offense, but I get the sense that you haven't even played Portal 2. And if you haven't, why are you judging it?
  • kezins - July 13, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Interesting topic, but there were quite a few omissions in this list that I assumed would be there. I definitely wouldn't have included stuff like The Last if Us. The story started really strong in the game, but fell apart by the weak ending.
  • forestfire55 - July 13, 2013 11:02 a.m.

You think so? I thought it was a beautiful ending that peaced together the theams of the game as a whole and further expresses the progression of both Joel and Elie. It was a true ending that no game before it has even touched in terms of emotions.
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 5:06 p.m.

The ending was actually what made the game's story transcend form just a "very good story" to one that is definitely one of the boldest, best stories ever told in gaming. I would invite you to elaborate why would you think the ending is weak however. Because honestly, as it stands, one might just assume that it's because you're one of those people that either wanted a more conventional ending, or didn't get what the game was trying to convey.
  • Clovin64 - July 13, 2013 8:46 a.m.

I spent this whole list asking myself, "where the fuck is Silent Hill 2?" then I reached the end... well done GR! I played over the Silent Hill games a few weeks back for old times sake, and i'm still convinced that SH2 has the best narrative in any game. I had tears in my eyes when you hear Mary reading out her letter to James at the end. As for some other points. I'm sad that Deus Ex: Human Revolution wasnt mentioned, and FFVI deserves to be much higher on this list. As for Mass Effect 2, I feel that ME2 had the weakest main narrative in the trilogy, but the characters and their brilliant backstories and personalities were the real focus of the story, so I'll happily let that one slide.
  • Asphodel - July 13, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Ffs Gamesradar, sorry but I am actually laughing at you here! This will always be a parody list until Legacy of Kain is in there!
  • Riska - July 13, 2013 4:06 a.m.

It's certainly an interesting list, a lot of old favourites in there. I find it strangely OK that it doesn't match my own favourites as I understand the reasons these games were chosen. I think I was 14/15 when I played Silent Hill 2 so I suspect a lot of the finer subtleties of the plot were lost on me. L.A.Noire I really don't agree with, especially when Deus Ex is nowhere to be seen. However, you didn't include Zelda so I can live with this list. Games I know I need to play (or play again): Chrono Trigger, FF6, Planescape Torment, Persona 4, Spec Ops: The Line, Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hill 2
  • cgriff63 - July 13, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I was just gonna say that either Deus Ex or Deus Ex: Human Revolution belong on this list.