Topics

Best of GR

• kupo - March 28, 2014 8:01 p.m.

Fair list but...MASS EFFECT 2? I made an account just to say...NO. Mass Effect 1, definitely, but the second game is just "Round up a bunch of allies and then go beat the bad guys." It's such a predictable and boring structure. Loved the game, actually, and the various characters have somewhat interesting mini-stories, but the overall narrative is completely lacking in substance.
  • Naugi - May 20, 2014 2:02 p.m.

You are kidding? From one of the most explosive (literally) beginnings in gaming history (Shepards death and rebirth) the story then builds momentum until the epic finale when the Normandy enters the Omega relay on the 'suicide mission' to destroy the Collector base. It's a true rollercoaster ride. Something tells me you are doing it wrong.
  • raihan-chowdhury - March 28, 2014 6:30 p.m.

Lol. No halo/uc games mentioned. I bet alot of games that arent that great made to the list. Whereas some other good games didnt make it on the lost. Thats sad.
  • mason-torres - March 28, 2014 6:18 p.m.

Okay, so I am going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that this is based off of what, a majority of current players votes? Because half of these games are.... for lack of a better word.... Bullshit. Has anyone actually considered that the most well known or bought games aren't always the best? Take for example, one of my favorites, Lost Odyssey. You ask a room full of gamers, and you will be lucky if 5 raise a hand to it, and maybe even luckier if no one guesses an alien game. Lost Odyssey had one of the best storylines, with tragedy, romance, multiple generations of characters that proved to be inspirational and beautiful, from beginning of Kaim's battle to his dreams dotted along the story, to his precious child being taken away, to him truly remembering who he was. And sadly, it made the tragic mistake of being released around the time Devil May Cry and Turok, both of which many were waiting on, so it never truly got a light. Top it all off that the fact many of Xbox players are all online FPS fanatics, sadly a long RPG went unnoticed. If you truly want a feels trip, an amazingly deep game, try it. And Try not to base this list upon numbers of players. Try variating the demographic.
  • Insaiyan - March 28, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Lost Odyssey really is one of the best stories of the 360 console generation, massive 4 disc storyline and the life of someone who is immortal. Add in the extremely well written dreams and old school JRPG battle system and not only the story but the entire game itself is one of the best this generation.
  • Shnubby - March 30, 2014 1:30 p.m.

I agree.
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 31, 2014 3:37 p.m.

No, we didn't ask a majority of gamers to vote. How... how would we have even done that?
  • aryiam - March 17, 2014 5:27 a.m.

In few words, this is a joke. Planescape Torment on 22, though GTA San Andreas on 17? PORTAL in the list?! Even The Walking Dead has an average storyline. But I guess this is the trend now, hipsters forgetting the actual meaning of the word "best".
  • hintzke - March 16, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Am I the only one who lol'd at the obvious troll of putting Portal ahead of any of these games?
  • Darklurkr23 - March 16, 2014 3:44 p.m.

You got all that off Hotline Miami? I got "This was made by Russians.....probably"
  • JMarsella09 - March 16, 2014 3:35 p.m.

Okay, I'm going to be a bit out there with this one, but I have played a lot of video games. No game has affected me from a story standpoint more than Rule of Rose. The characters, child characters I might add, are presented in an amazingly deep and layered manner. Each twist confounds the mind and fills the spirit. The last chapter is one of the most beautiful sections in all of medium, not just video games. It completely tears down every notion you had of the game up to this point, and simultaneously ties the entire story together in one wonderfully depressing package.
  • HeroOfAlbion - March 16, 2014 3:27 p.m.

Personally I think that Fable 3 should be on here, you have to gain followers in order to overthrow your brother as the ruler of Albion, and then you have a year to get enough money in the treasury so that after the year is up you can save your people from an enemy that only you can defeat
  • Beatty003 - April 24, 2014 1:53 p.m.

As much as I love the Fable series (even the third one) Fable III will never be on a gamers' list for "best anything." That was a game that fans didn't receive well. At all. And that is sad because overall I enjoyed the third one more so than the second one. =/
  • Scratch23 - March 16, 2014 3:23 p.m.

Almost criminal not to have "999" on here or the sequel Zero Escape. Hands down one of the best written stories in any medium. Also got to add I didn't get Hotline Miami, I see it being praised a lot for story telling I just didn't get it, game play wise it was amazing though. Other than that and Half Life 2 it was a pretty good list.
  • Vonter - March 14, 2014 8:58 a.m.

No Mother 3? Oh well I suppose the story is more personal than global. Even though I still think is a good example of good storytelling with NPCs and town you care about. A conflict between traditional values and consumption, and another about nature versus technology. Finally well, anyone that has play it knows how it has its heart string moments.
  • Jagger - March 14, 2014 1:46 a.m.

Decent list, but it's biggest flaw is the complete lack of visual novels, a genre of games known for having the most well-written narratives in the video game industry. Personally, I would rank Clannad and Steins Gate, for example, above all of the games on the list.
  • olumide-edu - February 22, 2014 11:22 p.m.

The ordering of this list is a bit wonky. I haven't played all the games on this list, but for me I can say that Bioshock Infinite (as far as I played), Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption don't surpass the Witcher 2. They simply don't and certainly not by such a wide margin.
  • psyche_out86 - February 22, 2014 2:31 a.m.

There is a place in this world for games without great stories, but not in my world. Bioshock Infinite is a superb example of great gameplay and great story working together to create something leagues above it's contemporaries. Rather than releasing another COD or FIFA with minor tweaks from their previous iterations, designers should be working on games that change lives and perspectives.
  • stephen-knight - February 18, 2014 12:39 p.m.

I absolutely love the story for Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt) - the game ruined by the AquaNox series "sequels". "Peace time is hard time for mercers, like me." 1996? Puts MANY games of recent years to shame. Including a lot on this list.
  • SqueakyBabyDuck - February 15, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Also with Persona 4, cryed like a baby at the end...