• FoxdenRacing - February 6, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Strikes me as the standard operating procedure for dealing with a scandal...a "People will forget our terrible blunders if we change our name" rebranding, with a dash of "Are we losing customers to Live because of what they offer?" and nothing more. Sorry Sony, I don't buy it. Changing from one Sony-built-and-run server to another Sony-built-and-run server does nothing to improve my confidence in the system because it doesn't matter what logo is on it, it's still a Sony-built-and-run server.
  • Squander - February 6, 2012 8:48 a.m.

Of course would you like to re-brand something that already creates negative emotions. Why should Sony stick with PSN that makes its users feel uncomfortable and insecure? (If carried our properly) a new brand identity leads to possitive connotions and emotions. As a new and all-encompassing brand, SEN must not fail - Sony will be more willing than ever to invest in a damn good security system - in the end its good news for us consumers!
  • FoxdenRacing - February 6, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Why should we put any faith in the same old bumbling emperor simply because he's changed his clothes? It doesn't matter what they call it, it's still a service run by Sony, and services run by Sony don't exactly have a great track record. Rebrandings, no matter who's doing it, evoke exactly one emotion from me: "We're running from our failures, rather than admitting to them and setting thing right." Cowards and worms rebrand. Upstanding companies repair the damage to their reputations through hard work, rather than assuming that all the negativity simply disappears by hiding behind a new name.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2012 11:16 a.m.

So re-branding and trying to repair damage and improve are mutually exclusive? In the end it doesn't really matter. SEN is still PSN, if they do better than before under the new brand, all the better. If not *shrugs* you already know what you're getting into anyway.
  • FoxdenRacing - February 6, 2012 12:09 p.m.

It's naturally more complicated than my sometimes-bitter-rants can make it out to be, yeah...everything's a shade of gray, nothing's black and while [not even black and white themselves]. I do hope you see what I'm getting at beneath the bile: throwing a blanket over the pile of garbage in the corner doesn't clean up the garbage, it just covers it up...and in a way, it's insulting when companies act like that's all they have to do to make a scandal...or the memories of a scandal...go away. It's one thing to clean up the mess, rebuild customer trust, and let the mistakes of the past fade into the past. Ford did so very well after the exploding tire debacle in the '90s. Nintendo did so very well after their arrogance in the last '90s relegated them from synonymous with video games to a second-rate also-ran. On the other side of that coin is companies like Blackwater (now Xe) and Comcast (now Xfinity), putting on a pair of Beaglepuss glasses and praying we don't recognize them through their clever disguise. It's no different than saying "Nonono, that was while I was wearing a Red Shirt. I've got a Blue Shirt now, that makes me totally trustworthy again!", like customers are somehow no smarter than easily-faked-out puppies, the ones that start running before you let go of the ball. The latter is...I don't know. Dishonest. Shady. An insult to our intelligence as customers. I can't speak for anyone else, but insulting my intelligence doesn't exactly win me back as a customer. If Sony's doing the former, then I've got a lot of crow to get to work eating...but I suspect the latter in this case. That's all I'm getting at.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Well, fair enough. And I do understand what you are driving at. All I am saying is that first, it's too early to tell if Sony is just changing the name and doing nothing after. Or that maybe, just MAYBE, this could be the first step of many to make their online service a better experience overall. Not saying that that's what necessarily will happen. but i just think you might be jumping the gun on this a wee bit too early. Furthermore, I could understand your claim more if Sony was re-branding their entire company. Or if they hid Sony's name in the new title, and they aren't. And really, most people that know and use PSN will always know that SEN is the same thing. It's just a name change, and so far, i don't think there's really any big kind of cover-up. Sony has screwed up in the past, undoubtedly, but they are no blackwater, so even that kind of comparison is rather unfair :P
  • FoxdenRacing - February 6, 2012 8:10 p.m.

I'll give you that. I don't know how much influence Hirai-sama has within the company before he takes over as CEO, but I have (very publicly) hung my hopes on him righting the ship. In a way, I want him to. PS3 had some good-looking exclusives, and if PS4 is backwards-compatible I can 'reward' them for getting their act together without supporting either Stringer or Kutaragi's boneheaded moves. I'll also give you that I was more than a little ornery all day, and more vicious that I would've been otherwise. to a familiar username, and on the back of a good conversation, I'll admit that patience is the order of the day, and start shopping for spices that go well with crow...just in case. I wasn't trying to directly compare Sony to Blackwater...I don't think even the most zealous, dyed-in-the-wool anti-Sony zealot would do that...I was just giving examples of companies that have tried to hide from their reputations with a name change.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2012 9:46 p.m.

Lol, i figured, but still wanted to point out how bit of an extreme is to bring blackwater into a gaming conversation XD it's almost like pulling a Godwin :P Anyway, you do have pretty valid reasons to be annoyed and skeptical of Sony. Frankly, only reason I have been okay lately is because they have delivered better exclusives than microsoft ever since I had to make the change when my 360 died. And since I don't really do online gaming, i guess the PSN issues have barely made any real impact on me XD What I focus on are usually facts, and products. And Sony has made some hits, and a lot of misses too. The first years of the PS3 were atrocious. And sony appears to have learned nothing from the failure of UMDs and the failures of Nintendo's 3DS launch. And yet... They have somehow still kept the balance between decent first party support and exclusives, (Without over-relying on them too much, like nintendo has done ever since the N64.) and third party games. (Unlike Microsoft... Who's pretty much been kept afloat by them most of this later generation.) Anyway... went on a rather unrelated tangent there. Guess what i am trying to say is. Sony has screwed up a lot, but it has also done things right. And when it comes to the PSN, I don't think it's the worst thing out there. And well, if you will, i see this name change as a chance for Sony to get a fresh start. Werther they take advantage of it or make it go to waste is entirely yet to be seen.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - February 7, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Yeah, those dicks didn't buy everyone identity protection and give away some amazing PS3 and PSP games. They didn't even extend my PS+ subscription!
  • therawski - February 6, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Reminds me of Comcast and Xfinity, They are both the same thing but they try to make you forget about Comcast's bad customer service by confusing you.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2012 8:17 a.m.

*shrugs* Doesn't really matter much either way. Making a bigger deal than it is is silly.
  • rtype21 - February 6, 2012 10:57 a.m.

I Agree
  • Squander - February 6, 2012 8:17 a.m.

marketing-wise a good strategy to detract from all the things that happened last year. I personally find the PSN-logo as very unattractive and generic, the new SEN-logo is much more vibrant and pulsating. Concerning its content, we will see what happens during the next months - instead of all that whining we should rather be exited that something new is coming.
  • Squander - February 6, 2012 8:36 a.m.

I also want to mention that SEN can expressed and translated into a vast amount of Kanjis - If you see it from that angle, the word SEN can be considered as highly positive. Possible meaining for SEN are: exclusive, heal, spring, mountain, thousand, stream, turning around, fresh, vibrant....and about 50-100 more
  • Hiruandan - February 6, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Sony should re brand themselves as "Zony" in the same go and have their network reintroduced as "Zen" :D
  • bamb0o-stick - February 6, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Just think of it as "NES" spelled backwards... /sigh. Who am I kidding.
  • wingsdjy - February 6, 2012 7:56 a.m.

But how will I separate it from Scalp-Ear-Nipple Syndrome? Madness!
  • Sinnott - February 6, 2012 7:41 a.m.

oh no not change, change is baaaaad nononono =[ let's just hope they keep this one longer to get used to it proper
  • burnsideking24 - February 6, 2012 7:33 a.m.

i guess i'm not updating
  • Kermit1970 - February 6, 2012 7:30 a.m.

SEN...sational Sorry I'll just leave now
  • burnsideking24 - February 6, 2012 7:33 a.m.

wow... jut...wow
  • FlyinMachine - February 6, 2012 7:28 a.m.

Sony Entertainment Network... Solid proof right there that the PS3 was never intended to be a gaming console. I always thought it such a shame because the PS2 was an outstanding gaming console. I know it's YEARS after the PS3's release but it still bothers me. I still grudge Sony for discontinuing my childhood with them.
  • taokaka - February 6, 2012 7:23 a.m.

The new name sounds so cold and generic, I'm not bothered about the logo but that name is terrible.