• Eliath - April 18, 2012 5:33 p.m.

This list is null and void as Vagrant Story is not on it.
  • thatgurl - April 18, 2012 7:29 p.m.

I completely agree. VS is an underestimated treasure. But I'm starting not to agree with GR lists at all. Although I was happy to see MGS as number 1, what happen to FFVII, Soul Edge/Blade, Crash Bandicoot 2 OR 3? Even Syphon Filter and Driver deserve a spot.
  • slimjim441 - April 18, 2012 6:07 p.m.

MGS and SotN FTFW!! But, your lack of Mega Man Legends and/or Mega Man X4 is also disturbing.
  • slimjim441 - April 18, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Oh yeah, and Legend of Mana?
  • Vorgrimme - April 18, 2012 6:15 p.m.

Oh, crap! I forgot about Mega Man Legends. What a legendary game!
  • Vorgrimme - April 18, 2012 6:15 p.m.

Just the inclusion of Suikoden 2 was enough to make me like this list! What a fantastic game. And I agree with many of the games listed, although I would also add "Breath of Fire 4."
  • IceBlueKirby - April 18, 2012 6:15 p.m.

Glad to see Klonoa on there, but you lose points for not also mentioning Tomba. For shame, GR. For shame.
  • shadow707 - April 18, 2012 7 p.m.

mushashi and crash but other than that great article
  • LordZarlon - April 18, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Of course, no Final Fantasy 7 or 8. I guess it's time to jump on the FF7 and 8 bashing bandwagon. On a more serious note, why no Colony Wars? That was a truly groundbreaking series, as far as graphics and sound are considered, on consoles. Great gameplay too.
  • Sy87 - April 18, 2012 8:14 p.m.

Aw no Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Mushashi. Though its true the list has to be limited and PlayStation had some many great games. Dam I need to get a playstation again. Let me guess DreamCast is coming up.
  • aequitas13 - April 18, 2012 9:01 p.m.

I was starting to worry that RE2 wasn't going to be on the list... glad to see it up so high! All the FF VII bashing/revisionist history kills me though. Yes I know there were better games in the series before and after... yes I know it hasn't aged well... yes I know that cool people hate all the hype it's gotten over the years. Reviewers the world over lauded it as a PSX defining game. Sales records were shattered. Millions of new gamers introduced. Yet now it's 'hip' to call it a bad game... wonder what would happen if they were to remaster it on the PS3 though... suppose there'd be any fans? For many people (myself included... sorry I was born in the wrong decade) it was a first taste of JRPG's. Many of 'us' have become RPG fans and have since helped bouy the genre by going out and buying more and more RPG's over the years. Maybe it wasn't the best RPG or the best FF game, but it was still a great game. It also created a larger world market for subsequent imports that may not have come otherwise. To me it opened the door for classics I would have never otherwise played (FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Mana, etc), and great RPG's that have come since. So go ahead and hate it. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it and it will always be one of my top 3 PSX games of all time.
  • Fruitbat - April 19, 2012 7:03 a.m.

It wasn't just that - the first six or so hours in Midgar were absolutely, perfectly constructed. In terms of story, progression and variety it was like a complete game in its own right, with a satisfying conclusion that then dumped you into the game proper, with the mysterious 'world map' that the manual had talked of but you'd seen nothing of yet. It was that moment that you realised just how enormous your quest was going to be, how much bigger and more extraordinary this game was going to be than any you'd ever played before. Even if FFIX was a better game (which I'd dispute), it didn't give that genre-defining 'wow' moment that gave us a glimpse of what gaming could achieve as a storytelling medium.
  • patbateman17 - April 18, 2012 9:02 p.m.

Bushido Blade!!!!!
  • BaraChat - April 18, 2012 9:12 p.m.

I've never owned a PSOne, but I've played more than a few games, the best of which was Symphony of the Night, closely followed by THPS2 and MGS. Good list though, that might entice me to try a few more (via PS3/PSN, mainly).
  • Elkril - April 18, 2012 10:10 p.m.

What about Parasite Eve?
  • NanoElite666 - April 18, 2012 10:27 p.m.

No mention of the Mega Man Legends series? For shame GR, for shame... Inclusion of Spyro 2 and CTR makes up for it a bit, but still.
  • SketchLemon - April 18, 2012 11:03 p.m.

Bloody Roar 2 was the first fighting game where I stopped button mashing and started learning special moves. It's probably never gonna be in any 'best of' lists, but it'll always be in my heart. Oh Uriko, how I miss you <3
  • jmcgrotty - April 19, 2012 1:33 a.m.

I never could get into FFIX. Orko being in it but not being named Orko pissed me off. PLEASE don't perpetuate the false theory that FF Tactics has any redeeming qualities. It is literally one of the biggest POS'es ever made for the PSX. I understand what an "opinion" is, but when it's as bad as Tactics, there are no other valid opinions. It's an embarrassment all around. Ape Escape sucked. It was revolutionary, but revolutionary =/= good. Not surprised it was on the list, but glad that Parappa was on here. I admit at first I didn't like the idea of it. But as soon as I played it, I was hooked. Just never mention UmJammer Lammy. I would love to have seen a "most memorable" list as well. Would be great to show some recognition for Battle Arena Toshinden, Rayman (that actually can be filed in the top games list), Air (Pre-Ace) Command and some game called Resident Evil. And of course, FFVII was groundbreaking.
  • Cyberninja - April 19, 2012 3:57 a.m.

I see you hate on Tactics alot but everyone says its good, so do you just dislike SRPG's in general or just this one game and why?
  • danny-morrell - April 19, 2012 2:05 a.m.

If i had made this list Medievil would have most certainly been number in my opinion its was the best PS1 game ever and i still play it now on my psp.