We Recommend

• Rojoco - April 19, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Timesplitters 2 anyone?
  • metalgatesolid - April 20, 2012 3:43 a.m.

I cant believe they left that out either. Best FPS ever.
  • ThundaGawd - April 19, 2012 3:48 p.m.

This list is almost perfect, every game deserves it's spot (Especially Shadow of the Colossus, still holds true as the best game I've ever played) The only thing I would've added would be TimeSplitters, it's unarguably one of the best shooters out there, not to mention the best game to play with a bunch of friends :D
  • mourningreaper00 - April 19, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Wow. I couldn't agree with this list more. Shadow of the Colossus is an astonishing game.
  • tomthespesh - April 19, 2012 2:54 p.m.

I rather Gran Turismo 3 over 4 but that may just be it was my first PS2 game and I prefer the soundtrack...
  • Cyberninja - April 19, 2012 2:46 p.m.

Honestly I dont see why the KH entry was wasted complaining about how KH 3 isn't out and its not even the best game in the series, The I have played so far is BbS and KH 3D looks to be better, and Yes KH 3D is a direct SEQUEL to 2 So in all fairness they could say the next KH is KH 4.
  • OHMYGODIMONFIRE - April 19, 2012 1:55 p.m.

So happy for the Bully love. I just replayed it, I absolutely adore that game.
  • smellmyfoot - April 19, 2012 1:52 p.m.

I would have preferred to see FF XII up there, as well as Jak 3, but other than that the list was top notch, great picks.
  • FirLocke - April 19, 2012 1:42 p.m.

I really like this list. P4 would be number 1 for me though; just sayin' ;P. P3P for PSP. Would've liked at least one fighting game to appear though. I mean, SoulCalibur 2 is a beast of a game. A lot of people still very fondly look back on SC2. I'm sure there were Guilty Gear games on the PS2 that were great also. I agree with Kh2 being the best KH. Followed by the first KH and then Birth By Sleep(of all the portable entries, you have to admit that at least BBS was pretty damn good). Also Jak 3 was the best Jak! Light Jak, the reptiles you could ride around town and the desert you could explore with the long limbed super bouncy car(among others) were super fun. It's the easiest Jak, but by far the most varied. I'd have to say the same with the Sly series, the third is my favourite. More varied. The only game I disagree with is DQ8. But that's just me, because I find the DQ series unbelievably uninteresting. Especially the 8th one. Really liking these features!
  • Pottyaboutpotter1 - April 19, 2012 1:41 p.m.

No Spider-man 2? Shame on you!
  • P0ck3tC1am - April 19, 2012 1:41 p.m.

What no Timeslpitters!? poop. I, at one point had all of these games, all great games.
  • ThatOneHobo - April 19, 2012 1:37 p.m.

At first I was excited to see Okami so high on the list, but when Shadow of the Colossus, my favortie game of all time, made the first spot, I flipped out a little.
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2012 1:32 p.m.

YES! You guys put Zone of the Enders 2! FUCK YEAH! About time the game got some love! :D Anyway, rest of the list is great, though I heavily disagree about Kingdom hearts II. I would have swapped with with the first Kingdom hearts. Why? KHII is laughably easy, it could practically play itself in combat, and the plot got incredibly ridiculous, convoluted, and bloated with characters. The first KH kept things more simple, focused, and charming. IMO at least.
  • Ilyere - April 19, 2012 1:22 p.m.

And of those games, I have played Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII and Okami. I'd personally score them higher. ;)
  • garyn-greene - April 19, 2012 4:55 p.m.

because you've played them?
  • fanfundy - April 19, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Good list, all amazing games. I'd like to mention Nocturne, which for me brought back threatening difficulty to the RPG genre, as well as Manhunt for pushing the limits of censorship while still creating an enjoyable game.
  • samsneeze - April 19, 2012 1:10 p.m.

I'm assuming that you guys are still working on the Dreamcast list and it'll be up later today... Anyway, the first Jak and Daxter was the best Jak and Daxter. Kingdom Hearts is a bad game series. Persona 4 is pretty good. I didn't really like Ico. Silent Hill 2 was nice. It was the last good Silent Hill game. Okami is great. Final Fantasy X is laughable. Shadow of the Colossus is a great game, but number one? Nah. There isn't really enough there for it to be number one. Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite last gen game from any of the consoles. So that will be my top PS2 game.
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2012 1:44 p.m.

"Shadow of the Colossus is a great game, but number one? Nah. There isn't really enough there for it to be number one." Yes there is. Not only is the game able to deliver a huge emotional payoff without needing extensive story or dialog. The artistic design is amazing. And honestly? the game accomplishes everything it set out to do. The graphics and music are top notch even to this day, the gameplay is both contemplative and amazing, and the game even allows you to get creative if you're willing to explore new ways of dealing with the colossi. (For example, you are able to use the momentum of the stone sword of one colossi, to propel yourself trough the air, and land on his head.) So really, what exactly does this game lack to warrant a top spot?
  • samsneeze - April 19, 2012 1:55 p.m.

I don't remember any specific tracks from the game. Most of them either blended into one another or were just plain bland and forgettable. The emotional response wasn't as effecting to me as most people it would seem. I liked the story well enough, though. It looks nice, for sure, but I've never been one to be floored by the graphic capabilities of any games over the rest of the presentation. Don't get me wrong, it's tons of fun to play. I just don't think it deserves number one since the presentation of everything feels "halfway there" to me.
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2012 2:10 p.m.

But I don't get what's "halfway there" about the presentation? It's not just the technical quality of the graphics, but to me, the artistic design of both the world, AND the characters are of high quality, and iconic. The preference for the music obviously seems to be a more subjective matter though, since I personally had my blood pumped by several of the combat tracks of the game. Also... C'mon, you didn't feel nothing regarding Argo's fate? D: YOU MONSTER (I keed.)