Paul Verhoeven reveals Charlize Theron nearly bagged the lead in Showgirls
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Paul Verhoeven has revealed that Oscar-winning actress, Charlize Theron could have had a very different career, telling New York Daily News that the Mad Max star nearly bagged the leading role in his uber-camp '90s melodrama, Showgirls. The role eventually went to Elizabeth Berkley, with the director explaining that Theron’s relative anonymity at the time counted against her.
"Charlize also auditioned, and I don't recall her having any problem with the nudity at all," says Verhoeven. "She was good and wanted the part, but basically she was not well known enough at the time and just did not fit the part, so we said no."
"I have full respect for Charlize, but if she had been offered the part then she would probably have been chewed up in the same way they treated Elizabeth. She was very lucky that she did not get the part. I wish Charlize congratulations for that because it would have have been a miserable 20 years for her!"
Speaking of Showgirls, Verhoeven went on to reveal that he had a sequel planned, only for the reaction to the first film to render it a non-starter. "We had actually been working on the sequel to Showgirls which was going to be called Bimbos," says Verhoeven. "It was going to be ‘Nomi does Hollywood', but after Showgirls was released there was no way anyone was going to give me money for that. If we could just make Elizabeth Berkley 20 years younger now I would love to make Bimbos today."
Bringing all the latest movie news, features, and reviews to your inbox
George was once GamesRadar's resident movie news person, based out of London. He understands that all men must die, but he'd rather not think about it. But now he's working at Stylist Magazine.



