Topics

Top 7

• hardcore_gamer1990 - April 20, 2010 11:40 p.m.

I quite liked the freeroaming in THUG Well, not really, but it was good to glitch with
  • philipshaw - April 20, 2010 12:11 p.m.

Have to agree with the Tony Hawk entry, THUG was the beginning of the end for Tony Hawk games. At least Skate 3 is coming out soon
  • gilgamesh310 - April 20, 2010 10:33 a.m.

That ressurected character part is definately something that no game needs. But it's a part of all entertainment mediums, far from just games and isn't going to go away. There was no need for even badass characters like albert wesker or liquid snake to be brought back. Revolver Ocelot could have easily carried the MGS series as the main villain on his own and resi 2 and 3 did perfectly well without wesker. However bringing back agent smith in the matrix films was even more unnesecary as was Tony Almeida's ridiculous ressurection in 24.
  • Hydrohs - April 20, 2010 10:01 a.m.

I'm going to assume that when you mentioned Carbon in the Open World entry you intentionally used it instead of Most Wanted because Most Wanted was actually a good game. :D Captcha: devours other I swear I don't.
  • OmNomRomRearghNergh - April 20, 2010 9:56 a.m.

@GameManiac By the big number next to the name.
  • Tygerclaws - April 20, 2010 8 a.m.

@snothammer: I agree with you completely. In fact, I found Raiden a much more compelling character than Solid "One-Liner" Snake. Same with Nero, too. To be honest, I can't stand the whole "This character is a badass, therefore he is teh greatits and we shall love him fo'evah on principle" dreck. It's boring. Yes, Snake makes with the funnies. Was he a compelling character? Can you recall a single aspect of his personality other than said funnies and EgoRaptor? No. Maybe it's just me, but it seems completely unfair to criticize characters simply on the basis of "he's not Snake/Dante/Cloud BAAAWWWWWW". Blech. I need sleep. reCAPTCHA: reducing sutured (Did somebody call Trauma Center? o_0 )
  • linkganon - April 20, 2010 2:21 a.m.

2 things are wrong about the open world entry, midnight club was created by rockstar, the same developers of grand theft auto, and Need for Speed: Carbon was not the first open world racing game, it was actually Need for Speed: Underground 2. if there was an 8, i'd have to say it would be games that have not changed one bit in their sequels, for example halo 3. wake up, it's an extra $60 to practically play the same game all over again with better graphics.
  • Cyberninja - April 20, 2010 12:23 a.m.

aeris/aerith should have had a picture in the number one since she came bad in KH
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - April 20, 2010 2:05 a.m.

bikes in mario kart are a great addition imo, you are faster but more unstable, i don't think i could go back to karts
  • The_Tingler - April 20, 2010 2 a.m.

Surely the Werehog, as nonsensical as it is, isn't actually a "sidekick" but just the main character in alternate form? If you're going to call out a crap sidekick introduced in Sonic Unleashed you missed the king of all irritating sidekicks, Chip the Whatever The Fuck He Is. Agree with all others, particularly subtitles - but more especially for FIRST games in a series that pointlessly get a subtitle. Split/Second: Velocity anyone?
  • GameManiac - April 20, 2010 12:33 a.m.

I disagree with subtitles. How else would a sequel (especially many sequels) be identified?
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - April 20, 2010 12:08 a.m.

I agree with Tyler. Dixie is dumb. Will Carolyn have the balls to come here and defend her?
  • snothammer - April 19, 2010 11:21 p.m.

I'm so tired of everyone bitching out Raiden in MGS2. Quite simply, the Patriots could not have been added into the series in such a clever way (that this site even named the most memorable moment in gaming in the past decade) if Snake had been the lead. If the Campbell switch had been pulled on Snake we'd all be saying, "What, Snake would have fucking known!" So, having a naive protagonist to get jerked around by AIs worked out perfectly, in my opinion. Making Raiden the lead in MGS2 was not a bad idea, it was brilliant. People (including you Mr. Wilde, it seems) just had such a boner for Snake that they couldn't, and can't, see the benefit Raiden played for the overall story of the game and the series. God, I am getting so tired of having to say this. Please quit bitching about Raiden. Yeah he sounded like a pansy, but it allowed the series to become as epic as it needs to be. And isn't that what you really wanted?
  • twishart - April 19, 2010 10:41 p.m.

I think all top 7's should be subjective - it makes them that much more fun to read. If I was looking for facts, I'd consult wikipedia or whatever. Two things though - why is it every editor refers to themselves as 'we'? Is it because they're speaking on behalf of Gamesradar? As weird as it sounds, it catches me every time I'm reading an article - I kind of lose the connection with the editor. Also, will there ever be an option to 'follow' specific editors? As in, I'll be able to bring up a list of all of Mikel's articles in a big list or something like that? It'd be nice to get an alert or something when there's an article posted by a 'favorite editor' in case I miss it in the feed. Just a thought.
  • whiteknight1981 - April 19, 2010 10:38 p.m.

Ok that MYSTERY DERRR DEEE DERRR made my day! Reminds me of those JRPGs that do the same thing with the vague death scenes. Though they will never beat G.I. Joe ressurections Recaptcha: psalter Gandhi wait...what?
  • husk94 - April 19, 2010 9:35 p.m.

The open world in jak 2 and 3 didnt ruin those games
  • Strangleme - April 19, 2010 8:57 p.m.

Nice Top 7 Tyler. I never played DKC 2 but I see your point. I will play it now though.
  • sterlins16 - April 19, 2010 8:28 p.m.

the first uncharted did hav a subtitle "drakes fortune"
  • RebornKusabi - April 19, 2010 8:02 p.m.

Okay, just read my post... it sounds WAAAY more negative than what I was really meaning. I loved the Top 7 BECAUSE I prefer subjective Top 7's like this. I also, like I said constantly, love the series and ****ing adore Resident Evil 5! I love Chris because he's more reflective of how I think a "real person" would look like in his position vs. the bishoenen lead that Leon was. I think Sheva's both awesome and pretty attractive; sure, she was "Dark Chocolate" Black, but she was STILL in my humble opinion Black enough. Plus, it's extremely rare for video games to have a diverse cast like RE 5 had. It had an American, African, British, French and Italian cast as well as a completely "dark-skinned" Black guy. Sure, he was somewhat tertiary in the final game BUT for anyone who has played him in the DLC or Gold Edition of RE 5 know that he is just as badass as the other characters (and his partner during the chapter was Jill so that says alot). I don't hate the new RE games. I have just become annoyed (slightly) by their abundance of Action versus the Horror setting that the series was founded on. I understand some people do not find the older RE games, the older Silent Hill games and especially the Fatal Frame series scary in the slightest... but I don't and openly admit to anyone that while a movie has not freaked me out or even scared me since I was a teenager, video games have scared me constantly (even recently when I played through Fatal Frame 3 again) and made me unable to sleep far more in recent years. To each their own- loved the article, good ****!
  • garnsr - April 19, 2010 7:57 p.m.

The first one was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, I think the second should have just been Uncharted: Among Thieves. That way it seems more like episodes, or serials. Castlevania has done pretty well with different protagonists, but pretty similar gameplay in each game. You surely can't object to Alucard becoming the main character instead of a Belmont, can you? (Though I love the Belmonts.)